Levering And Wrist Pain?

hellswindstaff

Is there a strict form to levering that I didn't know about? It's happened a couple of times that after I go through a levering session my wrist hurts for a day or two. It's the right side of my wrist and my intuition tells me that it's going from supination to pronation or the reverse.

I'm not clear on your question. People lever every which direction to strengthen the wrist in different ways. If you're getting pain, you'll probably doing too much weight or reps or both. It's really easy to overdo wrist stuff and you can get a nagging problem pretty easily. Ease into wrist work and keep it light at first.

...and hopefully someone else who actually works their wrists (not me) will weigh in :D

Although different angles are utilized, I thought that there were only 4 basic movements to levering; front lever, back lever, supination to pronation, and pronation to supination. I've been doing isometrics for up to 10 singles(max) and made some pretty good gains. I moved from an isometric to a dynamic movement in front lever, back lever, supination to pronation lever and vice versa with 15 lbs. However after my last training session my wrist began hurting :(.

Cannon... I thought that the basic rules of weightlifting still applied to wrists as far as set/ reps/ intensity... am I wrong in saying that? I'm not trying to sound like a smartass, but it's a genuine question.

I'm going to need someone to help me out here, but I don't think it is quite the same because you're not primarily working muscle. Isn't most of the work done by tendons and ligaments that cross the joint?

Can anyone help us out here?

I would err on the side of rest and recovery. :)

Hi Guys,

I am certainly not an expert on the topic, but I can share my story about a wrist injury that recently got better. I injured my left wrist (non dominant hand) doing front squats with the palms facing up. I used too much weight and my wrist was not ready for it. It hurt from mid Dec right up until late February. At first I just babied it as best I could, worked my right hand only, avoided exercises that involved the left wrist. Setting grippers was a problem. It was brutal. However it began to get better when I slowly worked in wrist exercises again – hammer rotations, levering, leverage bars etc. I just went slow and steady. This seemed to help. It could have been a combination of the wrist healing as well as getting the blood flowing back in there.

Another thing that helped was I used exercise bands for compression on the wrist and to stretch out the wrist. I learned this from one of Jedd’s articles.

I am sure others on the board can weigh in with more.

@ FrankD: I never squatted like that but do you think that the injury was because while your legs were powerful enough to move the weight, your wrists weren't ready for it in that stretched and vulnerable position?

I've been doing all levering from the floor. So I really just dont understand why it started hurting... I was going for 2x a week for a 6 week period(I was on 5/6) and no more than 10 singles(max) each session.

"Another thing that helped was I used exercise bands for compression on the wrist and to stretch out the wrist. I learned this from one of Jedd’s articles."

Can you find that article? It would be a big help!

TY everyone!

Edited by hellswindstaff

@ FrankD: I never squatted like that but do you think that the injury was because while your legs were powerful enough to move the weight, your wrists weren't ready for it in that stretched and vulnerable position?

I've been doing all levering from the floor. So I really just dont understand why it started hurting... I was going for 2x a week for a 6 week period(I was on 5/6) and no more than 10 singles(max) each session.

"Another thing that helped was I used exercise bands for compression on the wrist and to stretch out the wrist. I learned this from one of Jedd’s articles."

Can you find that article? It would be a big help!

TY everyone!

To answer your first question - yes, the left wrist was not strong and flexible enough for the weight. I strained it and made it worse by trying to train with the pain. I can send you a PM about the wrist rehab I did. As far as the article I think I read it on the Diesel Crew website. It has a lot of information on wrist training. Take a look.

Edited by FrankD

Yeah that would be awesome frank! I've been doing a lot of joint mobility, contrast bathing, massage with herbal formulas, and basically doing whatever to make the blood move to the area. Anything that I could add to the recovery arsenal would be awesome!

TY