I Closed The #3

strongmitts

Today is a great day! On February 20, 2003 at approximately 6:30 P.M., I shut Ironmind's #3. I have been trying to close this thing going on about six years. It's a funny story how it all happened. Today after my usual friday squat workout I came home to do a grip workout with a fellow lifter/gripper. I told him I was sick of the grippers! I said, I'm about to throw them all away! I have done 6 reps with my cut #2 (#2 w/about 3/4" cut off) which is significantly harder than my beast #2 (older wide #2). Also just yesterday I repeated a best straphold of 5lbs for 12 seconds with my cut #2. Anyway, I routinely do these sick feats of crushing strength, but never can close the #3. I have been so close it makes me want to cry. So today I said, forget the grippers let's do some sets on the Ivanko. Well, I worked up to a set of 5 reps on 12 & 5 and then decided to make an attempt on 12 & 10 (my previous best was 12 & 8). Well, I dominated it on that setting! So we got out the camera and I made another attempt and held it for several seconds while he snapped three shots. So then he said, "Try the 3!" I was like, "what the hell!?" I chalked up and closed it! I rested a few more minutes and my girlfriend came over and I closed it again, this time I slammed it and held it for about 2-3 seconds. Another great thing was that after my first close on the 3 my girlfriend called and my buddy answered the phone on an opposite phone at the same time the answering machine picked up. Well, the answering machine recorded my first words telling my girlfriend that I closed the #3. We listened to it over and over, I was so pumped. It is hilarious!

6 years on the grippers? I'd be pissed too if I hadn't closed the 3 as well by then! But you did it, you gave Mr. PERSEVERANCE a nice kick in the ass today. Congrats!

Fantastic! What a great story, Strongmitts! I'm pumped up, just reading about your victory. The conditions of your first close are similar to my very unexpected first close. Did you train with the same #3 for the whole six years? What's your birth name, by the way (so I can identify you in Milo)? CONGRATULATIONS :rock

In all the excitement I forgot to say "thanks". "Thanks" gripboard for all your information and support. This site is a constant source of inspiration for my training. I couldn't have done it without yall!

Hands of Stone, I believe I got my grippers sometime back in 97', I first closed my #2 sometime in '98. I've had some lay offs in there, but I always had the ultimate goal of shutting the #3. I know some of you are probably like, "what's the big deal, it's only a #3?", but I have been wanting this for so long and have worked my tail off to get it. I couldn't shut the #1 when I first got my grippers, and I have come a long way since then. I'm gonna get certified for all the average joe's out there to prove that if you want it bad enough then it can happen.

3Crusher, it felt great to feel that gripper close in my hand and feel that little click of metal on metal. Hope to, "see you in MILO" real soon. :D

Eric, My name is Chris Caffery. What were the conditions of your very first close? I think I read about it in a post, but can't recall. I have two #3's and this one is the easier of the two. My other #3 is my "beast 3" that I talked about that Scoony, Marunde, Karl G., and several of the strongmen tried. Come to think of it, I'm not sure when I got my grippers. I'm pretty sure I have them my junior year in high school and this is my fifth year in college. I'm pretty sure I closed my #2 the end of my junior or beginning of my senior year in high school. I'll have to look in my training journals, and I'll have to contact Randall Strossen to see when I bought my grippers. Anyway, I've been training on these things a while.

Thanks, Chris. I don't mean to take you out of the spotlight, that you certainly deserve. But, in short, I was referring to the fact that I was stuck at the 1/8 inch point for a while, and then, unexpectedly, I closed it after a deadlift and grip workout, only 3 workouts into the KTA program. Now, go celebrate what you finally achieved after 6 years of hard work. :bow:D

I have been so close it makes me want to cry.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one (on both counts). Congratulations on your achievement. I appreciate your sharing your story because it sure motivates me to hear about other people who struggled and trained hard and eventually reached their goals.

What would you say put your over the top? The big squatting/gripping warmup? The extra motivation of having a spectator? Something you ate for breakfast?

CONGRATS :rock

Let me just say thanks for the insperation! I have been stuck on the last MM of my #1 for about two months and gettin quite frustrated as well :dry but know I know to bangin away :happy

Damnit! :) You must have been the one who stole my box of Wheaties that morning. Should have known it was a fellow gripper! Or was it the Lucky Charms with the Magic Keys?

Don't mind me, just silly with jealousy. :yikes

Green with envy... Great job. Number 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4 :rock

Strongmitts,

You have thanked the board for being a source of inspiration to you. Well, your sucess after 6 years of work is now a source of inspiration to many others.

Congrats, and good luck on getting certified!!

Strongmitts,

Congratulations on your #3 close. :bow Anything that's really worth while takes hard work and perseverance. You showed ya got all the right stuff.

Way to go !!!

----------------------------------

"Live long, stay strong" - C.F.B.

Congratulations !!!

Training for 6 years to close the #3... now that's determination !!! :bow

I gave my #3 a go, yesterday also and got it to 6-7 mm ( measured with coins )... so I just train like crazy and hope the progress doesn't stop ( but if it take me 6 years, I hope to have 1/2 the determination you have ! )

Good work ! :)

strongmitts,

It took me about two years of training when I first closed the #3. I congratulate you for your persistance and determination for sticking in there and not giving up!! ;) Never give up... never!! You saw that goal at the end of the tunnel, and you decided to get to the end of the tunnel no matter what!! :rock Now, get into the habit of hard training to where you can close it at anytime; probably lots of negatives and what has been working for you. Then, when you go to get certified, you'll mash that sucker with confidence! :laugh

And as 3Crusher would say, "See you in MILO!!". Congrats to you!! :D