Making Blobs From York Dbs

gollan

I recently scored a small number of rusty old York DBs. What is the best/quickest/cheapest/easiest way to detach the handles? My first thought was to find a welding shop but I don't know any welders in my area and feel it might take longer to find a shop and explain to them what I need than to do the work myself. I have a Dremel and was wondering if the cutting disk from that would work? Otherwise, what kind of saw will I need and what kind of work am I in for? Once I get the handles chopped off I will have no problem fixing the surface rust and refinishing them. These DBs are on the ligher side, but will be good for me and my small hands (i.e. I have to start somewhere).

gollan-

just get a hacksaw. They're cheap and it'll take about 30-45 min. to hack out a handle. Sawing that handle out is also a good hand workout :D

-HH

Hammerhead is right a hacksaw with a blade for cutting metal will do the job with less hassle then finding a welder etc. Sorry I don't know if the dremel is up for the task or not.

Jon@han

I've used a dremel for cutting rusty bolts from my truck's exhaust system. That was really pushing it. The discs are small and flimsy. Besides, how would you position the Dremel? You probably couldn't cut straight through. I have a RotoZip, which might work only because it has a 90 degree attachment. That should get you between the ends. They're around $100. Or get a hacksaw for $2.00. If you're gonna work out with a blob, why take the easy route in getting a blob?

Alan

I use a hacksaw. Get blades that have 18 teeth per inch (I think it's per inch). At any rate, you'll see the number 18 on the package (there's also 12 and 24 but those don't work as well). It takes me only about 10 minutes to cut through each side but I apply a liberal amount of elbow grease because I want to get it done and over with. Hands, tris, and shoulders definitely feel it. The most I've cut were four in one sitting and that was pretty brutal!

BC.

If you know anyone with a sawzall (not sure of spelling) that will go through it like butter. it is an electric reciprocating saw that you can use with a wood or metal blade. Carpenters use them alot.

I made all my blobs using a hacksaw, and I would highly recommend it. "Old School" is best, and it also gives you a good workout, to boot.

Just bite it off, like a real strongman!

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Following your tips I made one pair of blobs tonight. After trying unsuccessfully to bite it off I went and bought new hacksaw blades (18T, thanks) and spent about an hour hacking both ends off a York DB. Part of that hour included some inefficient left-handed sawing. To simplify matters I cut most of the way through both ends and then finished it off. I got a decent grip and back workout plus I'm now pretty good at sawing with my left hand (endurance needs work). I'll go at the other pair tomorrow, after my "official" grip workout.

Guest mikebyoung

I am a plumber. I do much grip work daily,on the job. Reading the posts here about hacksaws,I was recalling when I had to learn to use one. Seeing an apprentice grtting his first hacksaw workout is always a yuck. You get the sawing down pretty quick with a little practice. Harder work than a Sawzall...but I can saw through 3/8" rod about twice as fast by hand than I can with my powersaw.

Get hacking!

I have used both a hacksaw and a dremel tool to cut my blobs. A hacksaw is easier, straighter and you get better results. Of course, it does take more time... but it is worth it.

OldGuy,

Not to bust your chops but you place the teeth facing away

from the handle and you cut with your push stroke. Believe

you me, I learned the hard way years ago working with an old

grizzly pipefitter . He said "Hey boy turned that G..damn blade

around or I am going to thump you"! This was after he let me bust

ass for 45 mins. doing it the other way :D

3-in-1 oil works well

Interesting about the teeth position zcor, to tell you the truth I never paid attention to it as the teeth as so tiny I couldn't really tell which way they were facing. Never thought about using oil either that should make my next dumbell butchary go much better :)

Jon@han

Johnathon,

Yes the teeth face forward. Use an 18 teeth per inch blade

for castiron or any thick material. Another tip is to use long

steady strokes. Use the whole blade. The blade will not cut

when you pull back but cuts on the push stroke using firm

pressure.

The oil keeps the blade from over heating and warping.

A warped blade will bind up and will not cut straight.

For the record, the second pair of blobs took me 42 minutes. I changed the blade at the start of the 2nd cut (it had already cut through three handle sections). In the future I will just replace the blade after every pair of blobs. I used the cheaper high-carbon blades. Maybe the premium blades would last longer. I found that motor oil worked better than the light machine oil I used the first time. Painting is next. I thought about leaving them raw but they make my hands rusty when I handle them, they smell nasty, and my wife has some kind of "rust phobia". I'm not kidding.

I thought about leaving them raw but they make my hands rusty when I handle them, they smell nasty, and my wife has some kind of "rust phobia". I'm not kidding.

I know the feeling. My ex-girlfriend was quite alot like this...

I've never had a go with a blob, but would definitely like to. This thread (and the others recently) has certainly started an interest....

Edited by The Mac