Basketball Specific Grip Training

Jedd Johnson

If you are looking for information on how to build grip strength for the sport of basketball, here is an article and video guest post by a professional strength coach / personal trainer who put some of his best exercises together for me: http://www.dieselcrew.com/training-grip-strength-for-basketball-players

Thanks.

Very cool.. woulda been nice to have this a few (8) years ago lol. Although I was palming a ball in 7th grade.

The only knock I have on strengthening grip for basketball is that it CAN affect your shot... It can affect your "touch". If you are a finess (sp?) player or shooter then I would probably advise against something like this.. but if your a monster in the paint and just trying to smash on people then id be all for it lol.

Im simply speaking from personal experience and nothing more... I was only able to weight train in the off season because of this as well. Seemed like if I even looked at weights it would throw my shot off. By either "shot putting the ball".. Squeezing it to hard and not getting proper rotation, etc...

I do believe weight training is essential for basketball players.. I just think it should be done in the offseason.

I like the exersises that he lists here... working more on pinch strenght and not crush strength.

Edited by Ross Love

Palmin' in 7th grade, what took you so long. Pishah.

Just kidding. I hear you. I think he is mostly focusing on the big men, referencing the boards and the paint.

The Cat seems like a pretty good dude too. I emailed with him quite bit.

Jedd