The Price Of Ball Bearings!

Jonathan McMillan

I went to a local distributer of ball bearings yesterday to see if I could purchase some 2" diameter steel balls....the price quoted was $70 each!!

So I guess that's not going to happen unless I can find some used ones. Any tips?

Jon@han

Is 2" diameter the largest ball bearing made? I admit that $70 is an absurd price for a metal sphere! I made some lead spheres a while back that I use as block weights. I made a 12.5 pounder and a 25 pounder. Scrap lead is easy to come by and fairly easy to melt. What you need are spherical molds to pour the molten lead into. Also, paint the finished product with tool dip to keep the lead off your hands.

Mike M.

Jonathan,I bought some 1 1/2in ball bearing's for $3.00 each,but they told me the 2in. ones would be $12.00 apiece!!!!!!!! This was overe a year ago,The co. is called "BDI" in Winchester,Va.

Thanks for the replys guys.

The tennis ball idea is a great one that many people here have done already. I have 6lb shots already so I was looking for heavier balls of the same size as the chineese health ones so I could do the overhand style of rotating.

I'll check out BDI Gripper!

Gee had to edit my post as I forgot about commenting on Junk yard foraging and lead forging! Excellent ideas Thanks guys!!!!

Jon@han

Edited by Jonathan McMillan

:whacked John,

You have to remember, this is a precision ground, hardened steel sphere. I am assuming that a 2 inch sphere is what you are after. This would come out of a rather large ball bearing. I am only estimating here, but a ball bearing with 2 inch balls is probably close to 12 inches in diameter. I agree wit the previous posting(sorry I forget who it was :blink ) go to your local junkyard, or try to find a surplus dealer in your area. There is a great one in South Jersey called Fazzio Brothers, sorry I don't have their number on hand but I can get it if you want.

Thanks MRBeyers,

Good point about the bearing casing size to look for...don't think I'll need the number for that place in South Jersey as it's way far away from me but some other members might be nearby so post away ;)

Jon@han

OldGuy,

The overhand rotations of the chineese health balls are starting to get easy for me. I figured a ball bearing of the same diameter would be heavier then the health balls....just didn't realize it'd be so cost prohibitive to by them new.

It would be neat to find a source of the rejects!

Jon@han

Heres a place that sells some cool stuff to play with.hand exercises,grip stuff and heavy throwing implements.

The 1 7/8"ball weighs 1.75lbs and costs 6$ or you can get a 8 inch,pounder for 80$.Thats a nice one for throwin?

Pretend your a civil war fan or a collector. :D seem interested :whistel

www.cannonltd.com/Index2.html

go to:Implements and accessories.If you want a cannon its pretty pricey? :laugh But ammo is cheap.You've got more fire power with an old fashioned double barreled 10 gauge anyway.

Guest mikebyoung

interested in using lead? Your local plumbing supply house (not a hardwear store) sells them in five pound blocks.

melt them into molds...chisel them...hacksaw them...whatever.

Just wash your hands after handling the lead...and paint or duct-tape your finished product.

Thanks guys,

turns out my future brother inlaw is going to help me make some out of lead wheel weights, once we get around to it I'll post the results!!

Jon@han