Favorite Grip Exercise

OldGuy

What is you favorite grip thing apart from grippers?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. What is you favorite grip thing apart from grippers?

• Thick handle dumbells
    • Pinch gripping plates or block
    • Wrist curls
    • Reverse curls
    • Hub lifting
    • Nail bending
    • Card and phonebook tearing
    • Arm wrestling
    • Vertical bar lifting
    • Other

Revolving handle work. Like hercules holds handles on loading pins for time. I also like using the Appollons axle; set it on top of a squat cage and hang from it. It will try to buck your hands off of it so your in for a fight.

I voted for pinch work. There is nothing cooler than hoisting up some crazy weight with a thick block!

Rick Walker :rock

OldGuy - I had to vote for "other" simply because my favorite grip thing seems to change about every three months. It jumps around between blobs, bending, tearing, RT and general wrist work.

Mike M.

Tearing, without hesitation. What's really nice to see is the diversity. If grippers had been a choice, would anyone have changed their vote? I would still pick tearing.

Bending, no doubt. A good runner up: thick bar work. I would really love to work my thumbs, were they not so weak (i stand in awe of rafter chins) ! So i just work my thumbs as a compulsory exercise to build good overall hand strength.

PS for Alan: Yes i would still have chosen bending and thick bar work would still be runner up ;)

Edited by amaury

Other: wrist roller. I have the IM unit and maximize it by standing on a stool. I use it free-hand (no pivot through it). It is a relatively new exercise for me so I am making excellent gains. I get an incredible burn and pump from the wrist roller.

I voted pinching, but that'll probably change when I start nail bending, after my meet Sat.

Favorites -IN THIS ORDER:

1.Thick handled 'lifts'(Rolling thunder,Dumbells,etc.)Ring lifts are new FAVORITE but too me its not grip specific?

2.All variations(1.5", 2", 2 3/8", 2 1/2", 3") of wrist rolling ,we pick a different size every week and battle it out(seems each person prefers a different size and is better at a different size also)this is an immediate gratification exercise,huge pump and now the weights are getting up there for all of us.Similar too: ;) but more than.... :D

www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album53/aar

or

www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album53/aaz

3.Heavy Dumbell finger rolls/curls.(Not doing any more than 8 reps anymore and sometimes do triples)

4.Static holds on Bastardized HAMMER STRENGTH grip machine.

5.ONE handed IM Eagle Loop deadlifts(we are getting pretty good at these since we first tryed them a couple of months ago) and/or middle finger hangs from the pull up bar.

6.Pinch(this is now actually a PRIORITY-no.1- as we were so crappy at it ..but its NOT a favorite if that makes sense?)

Besides the pinch(which is really something we work on because we Have too)It's whatever is a heavier pundage type of grip test.Not neccesarily harder just like the bigger stuff.

Throw in some leverages with sledge hammers and IM Heavy Hammer Leverage bar. Vertical bar lift(its nice and rough with a tad of rust now :cool ) every other week.Rim lifts as a warm up to every trap bar work out (this has become second nature and not a grip 'day'...)

Not grip specific but Farmers Walk every Saturday(in a barn during the winter)

Sorry I got carried away :whacked ...was suffering burn out for awhile but now excited about grip again.

Anvil lifting. With both my cast anvil and my LBH. :cool

I voted pinching - not too keen on gripper work anyway.

A close second (and of course related) would be thick bar work - although I am starting to get into heavy Barbell Finger Curls...

I have gone back into bending lately, and I feel it works much more than just the wrists: my thumbs, crush, and entire forearm get tremendous work out of it. very functional too.

train hard

david