First Contrast Bath...

Ross Love

Lol ok so I just did my first contrast bath... Such a thing as to cold? Or am I just that big of a wuss?

I used a large bucket... Elbow deep.. 1 min in ice and 1 min in heat alternating for 20 min. Call me crazy but just that seemed to help a bunch!

Is it mental or do you think those short intervals actually help? Tomorrow I'll go for 2 minutes lol

I actually use shorter bouts between the two. You want to create a flush into the extremities. Two minutes seem too long, IMO.

Jedd,

Do you engulf the entire lower part of the arm as well (Forearms and all to the elbows)?? I have just been covering my hands up to my wrists...

When I do mine, I put my arm in the ice water all the way up to my shoulder and I would do 5 min intervals ... is that too long Jedd? I thought one is suppose to ice 5-10 minutes. Has that changed? Thanks in advance

Jedd,

Do you engulf the entire lower part of the arm as well (Forearms and all to the elbows)?? I have just been covering my hands up to my wrists...

I use my sink, so I can get in up to my elbow.

When I do mine, I put my arm in the ice water all the way up to my shoulder and I would do 5 min intervals ... is that too long Jedd? I thought one is suppose to ice 5-10 minutes. Has that changed? Thanks in advance

5 to 10 total minutes is fine. I'm just saying keeping your hands in the cold water for 2 mins is probably too long.

cold for that long can shut stuff down. for contrasting you want to continuously be opening and closing the capillaries to flush the area.

i begin and end with warm.

hope this helps.

total time is less of an issue than a change in the time interval. you want to move your hand and wrists while they're in there. that keeps the blood flow up. during the cold the blood gets flushed out. during the hot the capillaries expand. you should end on cold unless you plan to go to bed right away. the cold also has an affect fighting inflammation.

I like Brent's idea of a hot shower and then have your wife shovel snow over you - back and forth - that's gotta do something :yikes

5 to 10 total minutes is fine. I'm just saying keeping your hands in the cold water for 2 mins is probably too long.

cold for that long can shut stuff down. for contrasting you want to continuously be opening and closing the capillaries to flush the area.

i begin and end with warm.

hope this helps.

Thanks Jedd it does .... I was doing 5 min at a time and it was pretty uncomfortable so now it will be a lot more managable