One Arm Barbell Snatch Record?

Fatboy250

Can anyone tell me what the current one arm barbell snatch / power snatch record is?

Preferrably without lifting straps, but this may be the only information available.

1st COC and I were talking and he believes it is around 226lbs. He said I should ask those in the know?

Edited by Fatboy250

I am not any more in the know than anyone else,

but I have a Strength and Health mag with a pic

of Vasily Alexeev ddoing a one hand barbell squat

snatch with 226 in an exhibition.

I recall asking Joe Roark about it some time ago.

Chris,

In his book, The SuperAthletes, Willoughby attributes an "official" lift of 222 lbs to Rigoulot and an "unofficial" lift of 253 lbs. On the other hand, Schodl's The Lost Past credits Rigoulots 222 lbs done in 1925 as the last official record in this class recognized by the IWF. Finally, Mike Rinaldi has an issue of International Olympic Lifter (Vol 4, No. 8, pp26-8) that credits Alexeyeev with a 220 lbs left hand snatch and a miss at 231 lbs at the Las Vegas Recordbreakers Meet in 1977.

So, it looks like Rigoulot's lifts from more than 75 years ago are still the best. Incidentally, although Rigoulot was in the heaviest weight class when he competed, he would now compete in the 105 kilo class whereas Alexeyeev was a true superheavyweight.

Hope this helps, Chris.

Mark

Jason, I'm ashamed to admit it, but 95 pounds is the best I've done. I haven't practiced the lift, just an impromptu grip and rip. Honestly don't think I could do much better with any formal training on this one.

Ben Edwards

Edited by bencrush

Guest Jeff Roark

I heard that Rigoulots lifts were done with a sand filled globe bell. I have never lifted one so I can't say if it is easier or harder. It seems to me some point the bell would become weightless if there is room in the globes for it to shift. Joe do you know anything about this?

For the record my best one arm barbell snatch was 135lbsx1 right, 125x1 left. Heath Sexton veiwed a tape of me doing I think 125 or 130x1 right handed. At this time I weighed about 180lbs in bodyweight.

Guest viking power

Am i right in thinking that many of the old lifts were done on shorter length barbells?

Chris that is very impressive :yikes What was the length of that bar?

Jason, i've done 180 on a 2 inch bar but it was a one hand swing not a snatch.I use the apollon style no leg dip just throw right up.

Chris,

I am interested in knowing more about what is called a swing. Do you have a link or series of pics that would show this movement? Is it similar to the 56lb for height in the highland games?

Jason

The 226lb lift was an answer to Vasily's lift and done by America's Bob Bednarski a great 242lb Olympic lifter of his day. It is pictured in Strength and Health Mag around 1970.RS

Rule for one hand swing from BAWLA (from ironhistory.com)

#5 & #6 The Right or the Left Hand Swing:

The dumb-bell, which at the commencement of the lift must lie at right angles to the lifter’s front, shall, kept in that position throughout, be taken to arm’s length overhead. The lift may be performed in one movement, or a series of movements, but in the latter instance there shall be no pause between any of these movements nor shall any part of the bell be brought into contact with the ground after it has once been lifted therefrom. In ‘fixing’ the bell the trunk and legs may be bent to any extent, and the bell may be brought into contact with the forearm, but to lock the arm by ‘pushing’ shall be counted cause for disqualification. At the conclusion of the lift, the trunk shall be erect, the lifting arm and legs straight and the heels together.