Usawa National Grip Championships

bencrush

Here's the meet announcement from www.usawa.com. Anyone within driving distance should come out and support come out to Al's Dino Gym and enjoy another excellent contest in one of the most impressive gyms in the country. The meet entries are available on the USAWA website and the entry deadline is coming up pretty quickly. The Pinch Grip event is the 2-Hand Pinch event - but with slightly different USAWA rules. The USAWA site also has all the rules for these lifts so check them out and make sure you're familiar with them before the contest. There will be lots of us there that will be happy to show you how to do all the lifts before each event anyway. The Fulton bar event is simply what most grip contests call the Axle - Double Overhand deadlift. Here's the meet announcement directly from the site:

AndyDurniat.jpg

Andy Durniat won the 2010 Dino Gym Grip Challenge. Will he return to defend his title and win the FIRST EVER USAWA National Grip Championships? In this picture Andy is setting the USAWA All-TIme best lift of 140 kilograms in the One Arm No Thumb Deadlift.

The Dino Gym Grip Meet was such a HUGE SUCCESS last year - we decided to do it again this year. The tradition of grip challenges have been around quite a while in the USAWA – thanks to Kevin Fulton’s grip meets. However, this year the USAWA has taken grip competitions to “a new level” as the USAWA Executive Board approved this meet as the USAWA National Grip Championships. This is the FIRST TIME the USAWA will have a Grip Nationals – the start of a NEW tradition that I hope will continue for many years.

Considering this is a National Championships, a few things had to be done with this meet in order to fulfill our established USAWA rules of conducting a championship. First of all, only Official USAWA Lifts can be in a Nationals – thus NO exhibition lifts. However, we have a host of great grip lifts in our Rule Book so this was not a problem. Second, traditional scoring will be done with age and body-weight corrections on the “total weight” lifted. And thirdly, all individual body-weight classes and age divisions will be contested for National Championship Awards.

The lifts are:

Pinch Grip

Vertical Bar Deadlift – 1 bar, 2″, One Hand

Deadlift – Middle Fingers

Deadift – Fulton Bar, Ciavattone Grip

Deadlift – 3″ Bar

The 2011 National Grip Championships will be on Saturday, February 12th, 2011. Luckily this year the second weekend of February avoided Valentine’s Day!

I'd like some feedback on what events competitors would like to see at next year's USAWA National Grip Championships. This year's events don't seem to be attracting much attention or interest for some reason. I know that some of them are esoteric - even for a grip training forum. The USAWA will probably never do a grippers event since it's not an official USAWA event. Same for bending. That might be partly to blame for the low level of interest I guess.

Might also be something to do with three weeks notice Ben?

Good point. I didn't mention to the open board until just now. There have been nearly a dozen guys that've been asking me questions about the contest - from here and other grip forums - that have seen it on the USAWA site. I honestly haven't had much interest in any contest that I've ever posted here on the forum. Starting to wonder if people really do want to go to grip contests or just train. I understand the financial aspect and time off, etc. Not knocking anyone, just wanted some honest feedback. If nobody's interested in the USAWA comps I'll quit announcing them. Not a problem.

Might also be something to do with three weeks notice Ben?

Good point. I didn't mention to the open board until just now. There have been nearly a dozen guys that've been asking me questions about the contest - from here and other grip forums - that have seen it on the USAWA site. I honestly haven't had much interest in any contest that I've ever posted here on the forum. Starting to wonder if people really do want to go to grip contests or just train. I understand the financial aspect and time off, etc. Not knocking anyone, just wanted some honest feedback. If nobody's interested in the USAWA comps I'll quit announcing them. Not a problem.

I thought you had announced this months ago???? maybe I saw it someplace else. If I wasn't taking a big vacation in the first week of march I'm pretty sure I would be going.

since it seems like they would have to be USAWA lifts, what other grip lifts do they have?

It's a bad weekend for me this year although Feb in general is really never a great month due to fundraising committments at work,Ryleigh's birthday, and V-day.

This was announced months ago because Travis and I talked about going but it's just not going to work out.

I'd love to make it out. With big comps at the Fitexpo and then the Arnold, it's hard to fit this one in this year.

Thanks for the replies guys! Josh, Brent, and Andrew, you guys will be missed this year! There's always next year.:D

Oh yes, it was announced, but I can't recall it being given a large amount of coverage or generating much discussion on here or elsewhere, so i'm not suprised that people haven't put a space in their diaries - admittedly I may have missed it if that coverage / discussion did occur.

Why stop mentioning them - isn't that what this forum is for? It's no personal slight against you if no-one can make it surely?