Hand/grip Recovery...

Ross Love

Ok... I am just assuming this is because I do a lot of grip training indirectly due to the fact that I train Strongman.. so when I do actually do direct grip work my hands are completely FRIED the next day.. and for a few days to follow.

So.. my question is.. do you guys do anything for your hands to speed up recovery? If so.. what do you do?

I was gonna start icing my hands immediately following every workout.. seems like that may help a bit?

Contrast baths immediately following training work wonders. (hot/cold/hot/cold......) Some guys do them several times a day. Lots of extensor work will help with injury prevention.

I keep some light extensor bands in my living room and play with them while I watch TV.

I also do some deep tissue work with a golf ball or a trigger point ball(for feet). and I use "the stick" on my whole lower arm.

It's possible that you had a good base strength and now that you've been bitten by the bug your training at a really high volume and intensity. ie, maybe your all excited and training like a mad man right now. could you give us an idea of what you did that left you so beat?

i do the same but my hands are never fried weak a little but it depends on ur make-up and genetics i think

since you train strongman, you may want to re-arrange your workout to have grip day on leg day or something ... or maybe chest, but try to space it out from back day so that you are not doing grip 2 days in a row

eating very well is the main key for good and fast recovery, plus if you take the right supplement, recovery can easily become a joke... also, sometimes what I do is put some Bengay or anything similar all over my hands and forearm, before I sleep, the day where I worked out my hand/grip/forearm. feels super good... but it all comes back to what you eat/drink. when i used to take supplements and pre-workout drinks, i felt like i was never tired, and if i got tired, my recovery was quite actif.

hope that helps

Contrast baths immediately following training work wonders. (hot/cold/hot/cold......) Some guys do them several times a day. Lots of extensor work will help with injury prevention.

Ive always iced, but only when ive had a problem.. will try icing to prevent problems from now on.

I keep some light extensor bands in my living room and play with them while I watch TV.I also do some deep tissue work with a golf ball or a trigger point ball(for feet). and I use "the stick" on my whole lower arm. It's possible that you had a good base strength and now that you've been bitten by the bug your training at a really high volume and intensity. ie, maybe your all excited and training like a mad man right now. could you give us an idea of what you did that left you so beat?

I am gonna start using the roller on my arms.. sounds like a great job for my beautiful wife lol.

What got me so beat was the competition I did last weekend lol. My hands are just now recovering..

i do the same but my hands are never fried weak a little but it depends on ur make-up and genetics i think

Well im not sure about my genetic makeup.. my hands get a lot more sore than any other part of my body though.

since you train strongman, you may want to re-arrange your workout to have grip day on leg day or something ... or maybe chest, but try to space it out from back day so that you are not doing grip 2 days in a row

Agreed.. thats my first step. Ive also decided since grip is not an issue for me on any lifts I plan to use straps on Back Accessory day.

eating very well is the main key for good and fast recovery, plus if you take the right supplement, recovery can easily become a joke... also, sometimes what I do is put some Bengay or anything similar all over my hands and forearm, before I sleep, the day where I worked out my hand/grip/forearm. feels super good... but it all comes back to what you eat/drink. when i used to take supplements and pre-workout drinks, i felt like i was never tired, and if i got tired, my recovery was quite actif. hope that helps

Calories and Supplements are not a problem.. I get plenty of Pre/Post Workout Nutrition. I average about 5k - 6k Calories a day.

Ive noticed what bothers me most is the damn Grippers lol they by far tax me the most. All the way down to the bones man. lol

My plan is to do Grip day on Monday along with my pressing... I typically do back/bi accessory on Tuesday, but I will just use straps from now on. I do Heavy Deads on Thursday or Fridays so depending on the way my hands feel there I will go ahead and possibly use straps again. The only thing that blows is Saturdays are my event days.. flipping the tire, keg carries, etc... that is very taxing on the hands to turn around again and do grip on Monday. Will just have to play it by ear and maybe not necessarily do Grip training on specific days but more so go based on how i feel.

Using 2" solid dexterity balls for 5-10 minutes a day works best for me.

Thanks man.. ill look into that for sure. Thats what your Avatar is, right?

The contest setting often allows you to push a lot deeper into your recovery ability than a "workout". I'm always all beat up after a competition for about a week. You came into grip with an already very high level of grip strength but not the conditioning that many of us "grip" guys have built up over time - so it appears you were able to overdo so to speak quite deeply. I think you'll be fine with a little rest. It may take a while to figure out the best way to incorporate all the different aspects of grip into your already existing Strongman program but hey - that's the fun of it - figuring out how to do things that are so challenging. Give it a little time and your body will adapt I'm sure.

One thing that has helped me out over the years was when I figured out that just because a calendar week is seven days - I didn't have have a seven day workout rotation. Maybe go to an 8 day rotation for a while until you catch up.

And if you try the dexterity balls - try keeping them in the freezer until you use them - hurts so good :)

The contest setting often allows you to push a lot deeper into your recovery ability than a "workout". I'm always all beat up after a competition for about a week. You came into grip with an already very high level of grip strength but not the conditioning that many of us "grip" guys have built up over time - so it appears you were able to overdo so to speak quite deeply. I think you'll be fine with a little rest. It may take a while to figure out the best way to incorporate all the different aspects of grip into your already existing Strongman program but hey - that's the fun of it - figuring out how to do things that are so challenging. Give it a little time and your body will adapt I'm sure.

One thing that has helped me out over the years was when I figured out that just because a calendar week is seven days - I didn't have have a seven day workout rotation. Maybe go to an 8 day rotation for a while until you catch up.

And if you try the dexterity balls - try keeping them in the freezer until you use them - hurts so good :)

One of my biggest problems is not doing a ME day everytime I train lol.. I always think.. "man i feel so good, load it up!" lol

I agree with you as well.. I will probably worry about x amount of days between .. not necessarily doing it on the same day every time.

My avatar is a pair of 4lb shots. I've since sold them and never use anything bigger than the 2" pair I have from handhealth.com. My hands are 7". if you have bigger hands, it's possible the Ironmind level II balls might work well for you. Here's a pic for size comparisons:

http://www.gripfaq.com/Hand-Strength-Images.aspx?name=Dexterity-Balls