Arizona Cactus Grip Shootout Iv

vikingsrule92

Arizona Cactus Grip Shootout IV – Hosted by Derek Graybill and Tim Struse

March 12th, 2011

Crossfit Works Gym -

204 South Tucson Boulevard

Tucson, AZ 85716

$10 entry fee – Everyone will get a dog tag for showing up and the top 5 get another one. These dog tags are a really unique prize.

Scored according to the North American Grip Sport Association rules.

Events:

Calibrated Grippers – MMS Set

2HP for Max Weight

Axle Deadlift for Max weight – Sumo or Conventional

Freestyle Bending – 6” Steel – 1.5” Wraps (Doubles and Crush Pads are allowed)

Braced Bending – total length of shortest ½” and 5/8” HRS bend – unlimited wraps

There will be lots of fun stuff to do after the comp, we will have 2 Inch Dumbbells for anyone who feels like going for a walk, and a Gracie (similar to the Inch but 160ish pounds) for those who are too weak to handle the Inches. We have tons and tons of blobs of all sizes and shapes, a ridiculous amount of grippers, sledges, rolling handle farmers walk implements, pinch snatch device, numerous other unique Aaron Corcorran inventions, I could go on and on but you guys get the picture. This will be an awesome comp if people show up so come on down to Tucson, I bet we have 1000 times better weather then wherever you’re at in March.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds very cool .. The dog tags are awesome! ... I got a couple from last year and they are tough looking. Great work on those!

• 1 month later...

10 days until the contest. Do you have a list yet of the competitors? Should be some huge numbers put up all around though.

cant wait to see the results

Ill be there competing but I havent trained since i tore and fractured my rotator cuff. Ill just skip all the bending events

I just moved into Tempe last week. I hope to come down and at least watch the contest and meet some of the guys.

Tom

Great! Looking forward to meeting you. Please do feel free to jump in and compete, or not, whatever is comfortable.

10 days until the contest. Do you have a list yet of the competitors? Should be some huge numbers put up all around though.

Thanks for the support, Ben - this comp is just around the corner.

Here's the list of the anticipated competitors so far:

Derek Graybill

Rich MacLean (paid entry)

Zach Lister

David Delgado

Kevin Bussi

Russ Farver

Tim Struse

I think Aaron Corcorran will be present but not competing.

What time does it start?

I haven't finalized this with Derek yet, but let's shoot for a 10AM start time.

Ill be there competing but I havent trained since i tore and fractured my rotator cuff. Ill just skip all the bending events

Glad to hear you'll be there Kevin, but very sorry to hear about the shoulder. Even with the injury, I'm sure you'll still shut a freakishly huge gripper. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the support, Paul. Sorry you can't make it out this year.

I wish I could come. It's a helluva lot warmer there!

Good luck everyone!

I will likely be there but only to help with judging and loading.

- Aaron

I think Ill be last after looking into the competition. :whacked I’m still psyched for the experience!

I think Ill be last after looking into the competition. :whacked I’m still psyched for the experience!

One of the special dog tags is for Best Newcomer (defined as first time competing in a grip comp)... something to shoot for!

I think Ill be last after looking into the competition. :whacked I'm still psyched for the experience!

One of the special dog tags is for Best Newcomer (defined as first time competing in a grip comp)... something to shoot for!

That's a cool idea!

Unfortunately, we must cancel the braced bending event. I truly apologize if anyone is disappointed. We're still planning for a GREAT comp with the other four events: grippers, pinch, axle and unbraced bending.

I've confirmed the 10AM start time at CrossfitWorks.

Thanks,

Tim

AZCGS IV Results

Full results are above. Let me know if there is any trouble with the link.

Tim Struse = 1st

Kevin Bussi = 2nd

Derek Graybill = 3rd

David Delgado = 4th

Rich MacLean = 5th

Tom Guthrie = 6th

Here are a few of the highlights:

Kevin Bussi came out from Long Beach and it was great to see him again. Even with a torn rotator cuff and little training leading up to this, he was still a force, especially with a decisive 175# 3.5 gripper close. His 480 bend was 6 x 1/4" square and his shoulder wouldn't let him get it in position - he's good for much more when he's healthy. Even injured, Kevin came away with 2nd.

Derek Graybill put up solid numbers all-round, then he put on a bending display. 665 (a hard 6" bastard) went down easily, then we had a big jump in the bars, up to huge "brutal" hex at 735. Derek put a good kink on the 735 but couldn't finish it. Using methods we agreed upon for tie-breakers, due to the big gap in the steel, he was credited with a 700, the average between the two. The 665 was over four times bodyweight! Derek took away the Best Bender award and 3rd place.

Dave Delgado also had a solid all-round performance, including a hard #2.5 and a hard 6" G8 (525). Dave only had a week or two of training leading up to this and he's getting better each comp, placing 4th today. Good to see you again, Dave.

Rich MacLean (RichAZ) was one of the biggest highlights for me. He drove down from Flagstaff this morning, a very draining 4 hour drive. Keep in mind this was his first grip comp. He smashed a hard #2.5 (132), pinched 160 his first time ever touching a euro, then pulled 273 on the axle. As if that weren't enough, first time ever bending, he proved to be a natural, using reverse style to kink a 6" G5 then finishing it off easily. Rich came away with 5th place and the Best Newcomer award. The most exciting part for me was the look in his eyes as he found the sweet spot under his chin and the bars started to melt - remember that euphoria the first time? Rich experienced that big time today, so I have a feeling we have a new bending addict and I'm looking forward to seeing more great things from you, Rich.

Tom Guthrie came down from Tempe and was also a great story. He originally was planning to spectate only, so he watched grippers and didn't score any points. Then he decided to jump into the fray for pinch, and showed that he definitely belongs competing, not just spectating. Tom was a very strong fellow overall and came away with almost 280 on the axle and a 60D bend. Very nice to meet you, Tom - keep up the training, and looking forward to seeing you again.

I was not on my game today, relative to my training leading up to this. None of my goals were met. The closest I came to meeting one of my goals was coming a hair away from closing Aaron's easy #4 (194) - as they say, "I could'a sworn" the handles tickled for a second but it wasn't decisive enough. One or two more months and that gripper is mine. Pinch was miserable and axle was mediocre at best. Having not trained bending for a year I was happy enough with the 665# huge bastard - I wasn't expecting anything better. My training leading up to this suggested I'd perform much better overall, so at this moment I'm disappointed enough to say forget grip altogether, but I know I'll be back to it tomorrow.

Thanks very much to everyone who competed and assisted with this comp. Thanks especially to Aaron for loading, judging, and helping me run the comp (and for being sick and not competing, thus allowing me my first win ever :whistel ). Hopefully next time I can earn it!

Edited by Tim Struse

Glad to be there! It was nice to meet all the guys, and I'm defiently looking forward to the next time. (and being much stronger :upsidedwn )

Thanks for putting on the event!! Hope to see everyone again soon!

Tom

Thank you guys for putting on the contest and for all the advice!!

Bending was a trip. Ill work on my flexibility so I can bend in a normal fashion.

I had a lot of fun, more fun than I have had in a long time :D

Great job guys! Looks like some very good performances all around put up by everyone. Tim, great gripper strength man!

Thanks for the writeup, Tim. Congrats on the win! Sounds like y'all had a great time. :)

Sounds like a lot of fun, congrats to everyone!

Great seeing everyone and a fun Comp!

Great meeting Kevin, Tom, and Rich.

Kevin, hope you are doing well. (Kinda scared us on you DL)

Derek, Feel Better bro.

Tim, sorry you were not in your groove, but still a solid First Place! :bow

Tom, I am not too far from you if you want to hook-up and train, or need anything.

Rich, when you get you technique down, you are going to be a bending beastie.

You both did great!

Aaron thanks for being there as always, and reminding us of how much work we have to do :tongue

Great seeing everyone and a fun Comp!

Great meeting Kevin, Tom, and Rich.

Kevin, hope you are doing well. (Kinda scared us on you DL)

Derek, Feel Better bro.

Tim, sorry you were not in your groove, but still a solid First Place! :bow

Tom, I am not too far from you if you want to hook-up and train, or need anything.

Rich, when you get you technique down, you are going to be a bending beastie.

You both did great!

Aaron thanks for being there as always, and reminding us of how much work we have to do :tongue

David, Lets definetly get together some time and train. I'm still getting my feet on the ground here, but I usally check the board out pretty regularly and I will send you a pm if I can figure out how and send you my email. Talk to you soon! Tom Edited by tsg7