Should Grippers Be Seasoned?

Throwaway449

Should grippers be seasoned when you train with them? They are significantly harder to close when they are fresh out the package, and I noticed in certification videos they use a brand new gripper. However that also makes it much harder to train with it, so should they be seasoned for training(seasoned before you start training on them) or seasoned naturally (by training on it until you can close it)? Im thinking if you were training on a seasoned gripper, you would have a hard time closing a brand new one for certification, unless you can close the next gripper up.

Edited by Throwaway

They season as you train with them naturally. Those strong enough to cert on the COC3 ensure that they are able to close a hard #3 cold anytime of day, that means even when waken from a dead sleep.

They season as you train with them naturally. Those strong enough to cert on the COC3 ensure that they are able to close a hard #3 cold anytime of day, that means even when waken from a dead sleep.

I agree

They are significantly harder to close when they are fresh out the package, and I noticed in certification videos they use a brand new gripper.

I think there is the answer in your text. If you train for certification close should you train with at least similar gripper or to make sure even little bit harder one? I would. :cool

not only that but seasoned ones can get harder not just easier too.

You need to train "above" the cert whatever it is.

Otherwise it will be hit or miss in any lift due to conditions, etc.

How much do you guys think the seasoning reduces the strength? My 2.5 and 3 felt almost impossible to close when I first got them, but now they feel significantly more "springy" and easier to close, even factoring in for strength gains. IMHO using pre-seasoned grippers is better for training because it closes more readily so you can work your muscles through a longer range of motion. I think maybe two pairs of grippers should be used, one that you train with regularly, and a fresh one that you keep only to do a practice close on until you're sure you can close it. What do you guys think?

Not really. "Older" grippers will get harder if accumulated debris/rust aren't cleaned out, but springs only ever get weaker with use.

I have experienced that with my first COC3. I train with it since Feb 2008 and I feel it has become a little bit harder maybe due to rust on the spring and the handles are used and it slips in the hand.

Keep in mind that you (should) become stronger after years of training and your feeling about strength of a gripper can change.