Women's Grip Levels

treesloth

I'm sure this has been asked, but somehow the answer has eluded me. I'd simply like to know what levels of grip strength women can expect with reasonable training. I know there are some extraordinary examples out there, but I'm wondering about more mainstream expectations. For men, I think I've read:

T - Many men will be able to do without training.

1 - Strong men will be able to do without training, pretty much all with training.

2 - Most can do with modest training

3 - Some can do with modest training, many with intensive training

4 - Very gifted men can do with intensive training

So, how would that look for women? Curiously, as people here at work have talked to me about the grippers and I let them try them, untrained men and women seem to be about the same. They seem to reliably do the S, and either completely or mostly do the T, with no real difference by gender.

I agree with Scott up to a COC1. I had the same experience with the Sport and Trainer as you described. I still don't actually train grippers other than trying them once in a while so the #1 has eluded me. That said, I still think the #1 is possible for a lot of women with directed training (perhaps a bit stronger term than "modest"). Past that, like for a 1.5 or perhaps a 2, a woman would need superior strength and regular, focused training. I think our 'mainstream' strength potential is difficult to push much further, so even knocking down a level from the 4 and 3 for women wouldn't necessarily match the expectations listed above. In other words, I'm thinking 'many' women couldn't do a 2 even with intensive training; some, yes.

Edited by xengym

I am assuming the levels above apply to a mash monster set. I don't think they are accurate for men or women with a credit card set. I'd say a credit card set knocks everything down by 0.5 a gripper level.

I am assuming the levels above apply to a mash monster set. I don't think they are accurate for men or women with a credit card set. I'd say a credit card set knocks everything down by 0.5 a gripper level.

my wife can't even get her pinky on with a credit card set.

my wife can't even get her pinky on with a credit card set.

Do I hear that!

I can barely get mine on there as well, it's why I say CC set changes things:

Definitely. And, I wasn't even thinking about a CCS when I made my post.

Edited by xengym

My wife is doing well on the grippers, I think she will get the 2 gripper in the coming weeks. As the the credit card I can't get that off her...

I think women are a bit behind, but I don't think we will know the true level until more women start training there grip.

For example I don't think we've seen the true level of men yet also, until more people start training. don't get me wrong what people like Laine Snook , Nathan Holle etc can do is totally mind blowing. But a few years ago when even less people were training, the biggest feats where closing a No.3 and a red nail was impossible. If that makes sense?

women are at least a level behind i would think. And it was a feat because less people trained yes, but today people have technique's and modern tech to help them and science supplements guys like saxon and goerner would demolish most grip challenges without focused training IMO.

My wife is doing well on the grippers, I think she will get the 2 gripper in the coming weeks. As the the credit card I can't get that off her...

:rolleyes ;)

She's close to the 2?? Very nice! Would love to see a vid of even something around a COC 1.5 level close!

I think women are a bit behind, but I don't think we will know the true level until more women start training there grip. <snip>

Totally agree.

Thanks for that i will pass it on. We haven't got a 1.5 gripper, but she is getting the 2 gripper down to 10mm. But to me it looks like it will go. i will see if i can talk her into making a video. Saying that mind i'm not very good at using the camera we have!!

Edited by Terrygrip

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm trying to get people here in my office to do gripper work, and I don't know what to tell women here. I've set up a sort of informal "certification" process-- just a whiteboard for checking out grippers and recording personal records. I appreciate knowing what expectations are reasonable.

xengym, do you mean that you found that you generally matched untrained men before you started training? Also, if I may ask, did you do a lot of non-gripper exercise? How about exercises that suspend weight from the hands, like pullups or lat pulldowns?

Edited by treesloth

xengym, do you mean that you found that you generally matched untrained men before you started training? Also, if I may ask, did you do a lot of non-gripper exercise? How about exercises that suspend weight from the hands, like pullups or lat pulldowns?

I just meant I matched what you said you'd seen - that the Sport was easy and the Trainer closed after a bit of technique and practice. When I bought my first grippers, I was only around Paul, Eric, Rex, etc. They were hardly untrained. lol Ryan Johnson was the only 'untrained' man I knew at the time but I'd not consider him an average grip newbie when he started - he was picking up blobs and pulling 402 on the axle. :)

I started training for powerlifting two years ago - about when I was first introduced to grip. So, yes, I've since been deadlifting regularly and working axle deads periodically, as well as pinch-carrying plates while I load bars. Lat pulldowns and seated rows are part of my accessory work each week - I do sets up to 150lbs for both - so that's definitely a grip workout for me. I found I would do more of this kind of grip work than more structured grip workouts on my own.

Two starting points I've seen

My wife is not active, but she was able to close the trainer with a set after just a month of trying. I wouldn't call it training, she just squeezed the gripper a few times a week. I had to bribe her to close it, as soon as she did it, she lost interest in the grippers. She was around 25 at the time.

A women I worked with closed a Trainer the first time she saw it. She's got a big yard and works in it regularly, but does no other exercise that I know of. She was about 30 at the time.