Types Of Grip Strenght

Six Barrel Shotgun

So I was writing about my training to get better structure on it. I started to write down all types of grip strenght that you can train, those I could think of anyway.

I come up with these:

Crushing strenght

Pinch

Extensors

Explosive strenght

Dexterity / Muscle control

Wrist / Forearm

Thumb strenght

Individual finger strenght

Supporting strenght

Fingertip strenght

Which have I forgot?

HELP ME! :yikes

PS: I dont really know how to train "muscle control", but Brookfield mentions it in one of his books.

I don't know that "explosive" strength could really be considered a type of grip strength. It's pretty inclusive for any kind of strength training.

Eh, maybe so.

I'm refering to exercises such as weight toss and "close a gripper from catched in the air".

EDIT: This thread is inspired from John Brookfield.

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun

Clamping - Gripping between finger tips and lower hand/palm (tearing phone book, anvil heel lift)

Crimping - Gripping between finger tips and callus line (ripping cards)

There are actually many, many defined movement patterns for the fingers and thumb that do not get much attention, adduction, abduction, etc.

Thanks for your input Jedd.

Interesting. Have never heard those names before in the grip training aspect, clamping and crimping.

So now we have:

Crushing strenght

Pinch

Extensors

Explosive strenght

Wrist / Forearm

Thumb strenght

Supporting strenght

Fingertip strenght

Clamping - Gripping between finger tips and lower hand/palm (tearing phone book, anvil heel lift)

Crimping - Gripping between finger tips and callus line (ripping card)

Perhaps I should name an exercise for fingertip strenght as well, as maybe its not very common to train specific exercises for the fingertips? Fingertip push ups..

EDIT: Perhaps explosive strenght should be removed from here. I cant tell.

And i'm also curious about what the definition of "muscle control" is regarding to grip training.

Muscle Control is defined in one of Brookfields books. I have never heard that many people refer to it since then.

What do you consider fingertip strength?

Jedd

I'm not definitely sure. But I think that at least I would define fingertip strenght as the strenght to push something with the force of your fingertips

Like your BW (fingertip push up) or an exercise which Brookfield mentions, i don't have the book by my side now so I don't know the exercise name. But the exercise is that you push an object from about eye level, to over your head. Holding the object with your fingertips.

"Muscle Control is defined in one of Brookfields books."

I know in the exercise (which I really like) Roll Ups with towel, bucket and weights, he says you train your muscle control. But I still dont get it, even though i've done the exercise for a couple of weeks now. On a side note I think Roll Ups with towel is great for dexterity training.

He also mentions a feat about muscle control in one of his books, i don't remember enough to talk about it, but I definitely look into what it was.

Thanks again for your input, Jedd.

"Muscle Control is defined in one of Brookfields book"

I will try my best to find that part! Thanks. :zorro:

There are actually many, many defined movement patterns for the fingers and thumb that do not get much attention, adduction, abduction, etc.

Forgot to add those.

Crushing strenght

Pinch

Extensors

Explosive strenght

Wrist / Forearm

Thumb strenght

Supporting strenght

Fingertip strenght

Crimping - Gripping between finger tips and callus line (ripping card)

Adduction

Abduction

I found a link about adduction and abduction, which I think showed it good: http://davisplus.fadavis.com/tabers21/Animations/animations.cfm?exercise=rom_31_14&title=Hands%20and%20Fingers%20%28Condyloid%20Joints;%20Interphalangeal%20Joints%20are%20Hinge%29:%20Abduction%20and%20Adduction