Are Any Of You Using The Secret Weapon?

hiteck88

The only one i know of who has used the secret weapon successfully is Joe Kinney. Is there anybody here on the board who can say that the SW is the main contributor to their success on grip?

Main contributor? No. But I've done lots of work with the machine and there's no doubt it's useful when mixed with other negs.

In his videos, I feel like Kinney gives some credit to the SW for fine-tuning his crush and working BTR, but in my opinion he is clear that the other plate-loaded machine and his monster gripper were the real workhorses. I would be surprised to find out that Kinney actually attributes his success to the Secret Weapon.

Joe Kinney said in his video that the SW was a key component in his training of the #4. He said The SW made closing the #4 possible

I got what I think was one of the last ones made by Joe himself sold to the public about 8 years ago. I initially used it, and didn't like it, but I was not using it correctly. It was intended for negatives, but I was using it for full range - - all it does that way is to make your hands hurt. I got his new video about a year ago, and used it for about 3 weeks, got impatient and stopped.

Now, I am using it once per week, in conjunction with grippers 2 times per week. I am going to give it more time this go-round. It seems to work the forearms and tendons big time. I am hoping 3rd time's the charm. It "feels" like it is doing good, so I am optimistic...

I think Sybersnott (is he still around) would say it's done him the world of good.

Greetings one and all... it is I, the great and mighty Sybersnott! Have you missed me? You haven't? Oh well...

As for the SW, yes it was that grip machine made famous by Joe Kinney that got me from the #2 to the #3. If it weren't for the SW, I would have not certified when I did and probably not at all. Yes, it made that much of a difference.

And now a note to all grip newbies out there who don't know who I am: for shame! Ask your fellow grip colleagues and they will tell you - that I am full of wisdom, that I am full of strength, and that I am full of desire.

Basically, they will tell you that I am full of it. :D

Can you share some details on what your SW routine looked like?

I never had a set routine on the SW for the simple reason: it hurt like all hell. I worked with it maybe twice a week. Lots of assisted holds fighting it out as long as I could, then change hands. I was also working with a basic plate-loading grip machine at the same time. You haffta understand, IMO the SW is reserved for BTR training. If you put a decent amount of weight on it, you get pressure blisters (at least I did). It's not a machine for those just starting grip training, it's for those stuck at a plateau in their personal grip training.

Does that answer your question?

Well, if I may ask about that, I've got a homemade one. Same principle, feels very heavy with small weights because of long lever.

I heard Kinney used weight that immediately ripped his hand open and than assist-closed it again? When I put on weight that immediately

rips my hand open (within 1 or 2 secs), I can only repeat this one time again in the same set and then my strength for that set is gone.

Would that be beneficial? the burst of intensity is very high, but also very short. Any experience in that? thnx!

I purchased the GSS Negative Machine which is basically the secret weapon

http://www.grippersuperstore.com/store.aspx?cat_id=0&prod_id=2001

I've had the machine for a little over a month. I am attempting to use it in the manner that Kinney described. Basically, fighting with all I have until the machine wins and pulls my hand open. I do my right then my left, rest a couple of minutes and repeat the process. After 8 attempts on each hand I am hurting. I've been doing this only once a week. I have no idea if this is doing anything at all for me but again it's only been about a month. As folks warned me it is a very tough exercise and takes a lot of mental toughness imho. I have been working out for over 30 years now so I am accustomed to torturing my body. I have no idea what is better, more weight and shorter holds or less weight with longer holds. From my perspective I find it less grueling to go with the heavy weight and shorter holds.

Kinney made a statement in the video that each successive hold should be shorter then the previous. This makes sense since you should be getting weaker and weaker with each set. He stresses the fact that it has to be a true negative in that the machine has to beat you and you can't give up. I think he also said he did 60 reps with each hand which is quite astonishing.

I guess I will report back after a few more months of usage.

I purchased the GSS Negative Machine which is basically the secret weapon

http://www.grippersuperstore.com/store.aspx?cat_id=0&prod_id=2001

I've had the machine for a little over a month. I am attempting to use it in the manner that Kinney described. Basically, fighting with all I have until the machine wins and pulls my hand open. I do my right then my left, rest a couple of minutes and repeat the process. After 8 attempts on each hand I am hurting. I've been doing this only once a week. I have no idea if this is doing anything at all for me but again it's only been about a month. As folks warned me it is a very tough exercise and takes a lot of mental toughness imho. I have been working out for over 30 years now so I am accustomed to torturing my body. I have no idea what is better, more weight and shorter holds or less weight with longer holds. From my perspective I find it less grueling to go with the heavy weight and shorter holds.

Kinney made a statement in the video that each successive hold should be shorter then the previous. This makes sense since you should be getting weaker and weaker with each set. He stresses the fact that it has to be a true negative in that the machine has to beat you and you can't give up. I think he also said he did 60 reps with each hand which is quite astonishing. Why not ?

I guess I will report back after a few more months of usage.

I think he also said he did 60 reps with each hand which is quite astonishing. Why not ?

I consider myself a novice grip trainer and am not certain what I am doing is optimal. I do my right then my left then rest for a minute. I feel I need that minute to gather myself to get ready to repeat the process. So for me to do 60 reps it would take over an hour. It's tough to compare this exercise to something else. It just seems like a huge amount of volume to me ... but again ... I am new to this type of training, so what is astonishing to me may be nothing special to an experienced grip trainer.

I think he also said he did 60 reps with each hand which is quite astonishing. Why not ?

I consider myself a novice grip trainer and am not certain what I am doing is optimal. I do my right then my left then rest for a minute. I feel I need that minute to gather myself to get ready to repeat the process. So for me to do 60 reps it would take over an hour. It's tough to compare this exercise to something else. It just seems like a huge amount of volume to me ... but again ... I am new to this type of training, so what is astonishing to me may be nothing special to an experienced grip trainer.

Well, even for the advanced griptrainer, those numbers of heavy reps are H U G E. And if one would do that, most normal people would need to recover at least two or three days. I surely wouldn't have to train grippers the next day. So the high frequency Kinney would train with, his recover ability is for me almost insane. But frequency is always something I struggling with. What's right? One or two heavy sessions and then one week of rest? One or two days? And how do you feel on the training day after rest? Maybe more using of bio feedback? I still have the idea sometimes that I'm overtraining myself even with one or two (heavy) sessions a week. I wrote Paul Knight once and he wrote me back that he is doing two gripworkouts per week and then the week after that nothing as I remember. But I don't know if he meant only grippers or also pinch/open handstrength etc. So it's trail and error which takes to most time to figure out.

One day or another, grip training will bring you there. You cannot escape such insanity !! :D

I own a secret weapon myself Joe says Its a 2 1/2 to 1 ratio right now I have I think 50 lbs on mine...doing 20 negs each hand. And I feel it in my hand after I'm done and the next day. Since doing it and negatives on my #2, I've now been able to close my number #2 on my right hand......NOT EVERYTIME, but on a good day for one or two sometimes 3 reps. My left hand strength for my #2 is getting closer and closer about 1-2 centimeters away, when before it was parallel.

I feel and believe that If your going to be working beyond the range of a target gripper using the secret weapon I feel you should use the weight of a gripper your closing soooolll 196-200lbs on the secret weapon for a number 2.

Joe even said in his video he was holding 365 on the plate loaded grip machine, wrist roller, and secret weapon. He said the monster gripper made the #4 easy to close...but the SW was the key....that and heavy squats for testosterone.

I'd also like to point out that jedd Johnson said that once he moved up in a gripper, the one he struggled on before was easier to close (work on a 2.5 or 3 and the 2 is easier to close) that's what I got out of it....