Entended Handle Grippers

strongman2332

I just got my extended handle super elite... trying to set it but not quite sure how to get this sucker shut! using the floor? Man up and crush it closed? Leg? If anyone has experience with this, please help me out! Thanks!

Well, you're probably not doing anything wrong.

Two things:

1) Extended handle negs = bruised palms. There's no way around it. Your palm will get tougher and you will probably injure yourself on the way.

2) That gripper is probably too heavy for you, even given the extended handle. For an effective negative you should be able to close the gripper entirely and, in my opinion, it shouldn't pop open more than about 1/4" and prefereably less.

I think there is a misconception that the extended allows you to work with a heavier gripper. No so. It should simply serve to make the proper gripper more manageable especially if working with volume.

Sit on chair. Long handle end on the floor. Step one leg on long handle. Take good grip of spring, remember use glove if spring breaks. Press shorter handle with your palm and walk your fingers to get good set. At the same time pull gripper up from the spring.

Sorry bad english, hopefully get the point :rolleyes

http://www.gripboard...ewimage&img=105

The Extended handle gripper was made to be used in this type of position linked above. You can use a Power rack to do it as well.

The proper height of the placement is taken with your hand down by your side natural like. Measure from the floor to the point in your hand where the gripper will sit. You then add a couple of inches to that measurement which will make the gripper rest a little higher than your hand would be at rest by your side in a natural position. When the gripper is set in at this height you can then push the gripper close by dipping down slightly with your bodyweight and straightening your arm at the same time you dip. Hold for the negative.

Heath, You made an extended gripper stand out of pipe? or no?

Well, you're probably not doing anything wrong.

Two things:

1) Extended handle negs = bruised palms. There's no way around it. Your palm will get tougher and you will probably injure yourself on the way.

2) That gripper is probably too heavy for you, even given the extended handle. For an effective negative you should be able to close the gripper entirely and, in my opinion, it shouldn't pop open more than about 1/4" and prefereably less.

I think there is a misconception that the extended allows you to work with a heavier gripper. No so. It should simply serve to make the proper gripper more manageable especially if working with volume.

Well I would agree that this gripper is way to heavy for fully closed negs, ( the negs I did were from the parallel position for ten second holds). I can however force rep close this gripper... was actually doing sets of three. would this be of any benefit?

http://www.gripboard...ewimage&img=105

The Extended handle gripper was made to be used in this type of position linked above. You can use a Power rack to do it as well.

The proper height of the placement is taken with your hand down by your side natural like. Measure from the floor to the point in your hand where the gripper will sit. You then add a couple of inches to that measurement which will make the gripper rest a little higher than your hand would be at rest by your side in a natural position. When the gripper is set in at this height you can then push the gripper close by dipping down slightly with your bodyweight and straightening your arm at the same time you dip. Hold for the negative.

Heath, You made an extended gripper stand out of pipe? or no?

Sounds like a plan! Squat rack it is! appreciate the comment and further explanation

Sit on chair. Long handle end on the floor. Step one leg on long handle. Take good grip of spring, remember use glove if spring breaks. Press shorter handle with your palm and walk your fingers to get good set. At the same time pull gripper up from the spring.

I def have to remember spring breakage... ever experienced that?

I def have to remember spring breakage... ever experienced that?

Not really. You might as well also wear rubber shoes in case you get hit by lightening while doing negatives. But it's easy to put on a glove in case you win the gripper-freak-accident lottery.

Cannon- this is definitely something to think about! I am doing my negatives outside only when it's raining.. The rubber soled shoes will come in handy :)) haha

One more thing and it is a safety factor. If you decide to mount the handle in a power rack or a hole in a tree even, be sure to hold the spring with the free hand, As you press down on the gripper it could rotate to the inside or outside. So hold the spring to make it stable and not rotate on you.

One more thing and it is a safety factor. If you decide to mount the handle in a power rack or a hole in a tree even, be sure to hold the spring with the free hand, As you press down on the gripper it could rotate to the inside or outside. So hold the spring to make it stable and not rotate on you.

this is where the old gloves come in! Now this may be stupid but could I just place a dowel through the spring instead? A longer dowel that will enable my other hand to hold it in place. This will decrease the chance of my hand taking shrapnel from a faulty spring! I might look like a wierdo tho lol.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm really happy how people answer these posts, I guess im not used to this "team oriented" atmosphere.