What Is A Fair Close?

EricMilfeld

In short, it's one initiated with a fair set, and completed with no further help. So what is a good, fair set? Well, to achieve your maximum leverage, the gripper is placed with one handle roughly opposite the base of your knuckles, and the other placed on the 2nd, of the 3 segments, of your fingers. For a person with shorter fingers, the handles must first be partially closed with the help of the other hand to acquire this position. Providing the other hand ceases to assist as soon as the optimal position is achieved, a fair set has been made. To further define a fair set, it would be the point beyond which the opening of the hand would result in the slipping of the gripper within the hand. This then would also define a full range rep as one in which the gripper is reopened to the fair set point. Now, is it a greater demonstration of strength to close a gripper without a full set? Absolutely! But for the purposes of defining a fair close, consider the following rhetorical question. Do the 3 white lights shine any brighter for the lifter whose butt contacts his heels, than for the lifter who only slightly breaks parallel? The assertion that a fairly set gripper closure over a range of 2 inches is a greater demonstration of strength than a one inch closure, is invalid, particularly in light of the fact that it's due primarily to the former gripster having longer fingers. You wouldn't assert my 600 pound squat as a 6' 1" lifter betters your 600 pound squat as a 5' 6" lifter, because I moved the bar a greater distance, would you?

The longer the range of motion in any lift would always be more impressive. To see how much of a set someone really needs use your #1 gripper and alot of you will see you are setting the gripper deeper than you really need to.

Patrick,

Once one finds the most advantageous position in their hand, the range of motion is then determined primarily by finger length. But, you're right, about a longer range of motion being more impressive.

By the way, Patrick, the best gripper set would be the same for the various levels of grippers, as it is for me, except of course for the #4, which I can't set at all :yikes