Mi Grip Championship 2011

Bob Lipinski

the hammer event.

does that mean that the hammers will be marked and we can choke up on them to 25"? is that so that there will be a better point spread instead of all of us hitting the 8# and a 7 way tie?

Yeah, that is pretty much it Brent.

I am looking at 6,8,10,12,16,20 hammers, maybe a 9 pounder as well.

If I was going to mark my handles would I measure from the top of the head or the bottom?

25" from the head. Your hands cannot go past that mark. If you're still having trouble I can send you pictures or you can send me one.

I understand what you mean, I'm just asking where on the head you measure from. do I hook the tape on the top of the sledge or, do I butt it up against the bottom. ie, is the 25" the total length of the sledge plus handle, or is it 25" of handle only?

Good question. Does the 25" include the head of the hammer, or just the visible portion of the handle.

Oh yeah and while you are in the thread, can I get an official sanction Jedd?

A note for all promoters, the main gripsport site is a good reference for general rules.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

2 questions, Do you have to register at the door or can you pay the day of the meet? Also how hard would it be for a Novice? By this I wonder about the grippers being to hard to get one in. Not to sure about the hammers, DO partial might be ok.

2 questions, Do you have to register at the door or can you pay the day of the meet? Also how hard would it be for a Novice? By this I wonder about the grippers being to hard to get one in. Not to sure about the hammers, DO partial might be ok.

You should come by Ray, It's a great easygoing atmosphere. There's always a few novices/newbies that compete and there will be plenty of easier grippers to choose from. It won't be intimidating and seeing Don's gym is worth the price of admission itself.

You should come by Ray, It's a great easygoing atmosphere. There's always a few novices/newbies that compete and there will be plenty of easier grippers to choose from. It won't be intimidating and seeing Don's gym is worth the price of admission itself.

First, pay at the door is fine.

Ray, my competition has always been very friendly to people new at grip. When I started my competition, it was mostly with friends who weren't really into grip but were familiar with general strength work. Like AP wrote, we almost always have new people or dabblers.

For the grippers you will definitely be able to get close a few. For the hammers, I know you won't draw a zero- you will do something with the six pound hammer in a deadlift I bet, and get to the 8-10 with the slim style at least.

I will be available the day before the comp (let me know) and around 2 hours beforehand on the day of. I would be happy to show you through the events whenever. During and before your attempts, myself and many of the other competitors will give you pointers if needed. You'll get attempts in.

Bob thanks for the reply and filling me in on the comp. I have met Don at Mark Mellingers meet at the union hall and I think I have seen you compete at a few meets also. I am definitely considering going down there.

• 4 weeks later...

Bob any idea who all is planning on comming yet? I am planning on making it and have I think 3 other guys comming.

Well Stew, I haven't asked for many solid commitments. So far, Jeff Parker, Jeff Flynn, and Adam Glass will be there. Maybe Dave Thorton, he was recently injured though.

Other than that, a bunch of "maybes", but it is always great to have you, Stew!

• 2 weeks later...

Allright, coming up soon. I will be staying at the Super 8 in Three Rivers, and I will be down Friday night. I will post details about times in a few days. I will likely go out to dinner Friday night, and also be at the gym if anyone wants to check out events.

Prizes so far:

From Chris Rice-

Climber Curl

Wrist Thingie

From FBBC-

Solid 2" MGC ingraved Vbar

2" Crusher

2.5" Crusher

x-4x 5/8 smooth steel handled grippers

From Power and Bulk-

GNC Gripper set

#3 IM gripper