Bad News

John Wood

The Iron Game lost one of the great ones today. Malcolm "Mac" Richards has passed away. He was 80 years old. Many here have probably never heard of him. He did not begin lifting until he was 52 years old and within a year set a new Masters World Record with a squat of 425 lbs., benching 308 lbs., deadlifting 479 lbs., totaling 1212 lbs. In the years to follow he has won 18 National titles and four World Powerlifting Championships.

At the age of 75 years and 198 lbs.

Squat: 440 pounds

Bench: 330 pounds

Deadlift: 470 pounds

Total: 1240 pounds

I did not personally witness it but two years a go he said that he did 20 strict chins at an age of 78 and a bodyweight of around 200 pounds. I do have a picture of him doing weighted chins : sets of six with an extra 90lbs strapped to his waist. He trained his grip often and even in his ripe old age had a grip of steel. I dont know if he ever had opportunity to close a #3 gripper but I believe he probably could have. I do know he closed a #2 very easily. Shaking hands with him was like shaking hands with a vice. He was inducted into the York Barbell Hall of Fame in 2000 where his picture is still on display.

Mac was a friend of mine and will be missed greatly.

-JW