Gripmas

jad

Who's in for Saturday? Anybody bringing anything to trade or looking for anything?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• barbe705

• jad

• IROC-Z

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for a 16 lb sledge if anybody has one they'd like to get rid of.

Everything is ready to go - just waiting on you all to show up. Safe travels to all. I have to go to town Thursday - I'll look for a 16# sledge - do you care if it has a wood handle or not? Todd - did you talk to Steve Slater? He may have one at his hardware store.

Chris - The handle doesn't matter to me. I haven't been able to find a 16 lber at any of the stores in my area. Is Steve going to be at the contest?

Chris - The handle doesn't matter to me. I haven't been able to find a 16 lber at any of the stores in my area. Is Steve going to be at the contest?

Todd - I'm not sure - when I asked him about sponsoring, he said yes but that's the last I heard from him.

I have some 20# sledge heads I'll let go for 10$ if any body wants one.

I'll grab one of those from you.

I have some 20# sledge heads I'll let go for 10$ if any body wants one.

I'll grab one of those from you.

I'll throw one in the car.

Are you coming to Michigan Brent? I would love one of those sledge heads.

MI when? if you mean in the spring, I think so.

I'm still trying to find a few body parts that seem to be less than happy today. Been cleaning up the garage now for about 6 hours - almost back to normal. I'll be posting the results after I get a chance to catch up. My son couldn't be here to do his scoring magic on his laptop so everything is on paper and has to be typed into the program AGAIN. Doc;s friend Chris was kind enough to put everything in and print it out after each event etc - but then didn't save the spreadsheet hehe! I will say that Andrew set a new WR on choked grippers though. Most people had pretty long drives today and probably won't do any write ups until tomorrow.

Edited by climber511

Awesome job on the new world record Andrew! I can't wait to see the full results.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AsWUo55bNkC6dGhRYlJwVVA1anNPanFLcU9xY01lQWc&hl=en&output=html

OK - big surprise - I messed it up the first time - try this link :)

Thanks Chad - hope to see you here next year to take your record back!

Nice job, everybody. Congrats to Kelly, and fantastic record, Andrew.

If you could forward me the results, Chris, that would be great and I will work on Grip Org stats and rankings tomorrow.

Jedd

so did Andrew miss 214 on a gripper and then go up to 217? ... ballzy ... but it worked, lol

what kind of axle was used? ... it must have either been one handed or a 4" axle for Andrew to pull 209

congrats to all .... and damn you Brent ... you won't let me catch up!

Sorry about the axle results Paul - it was a regular DO IM Axle DL - we used my Competition Werksan Bumper set and it's in Kilos so all results are in kilos except Kelly Eaton's (Axle only). Covert them to pounds and they will sound better to you.

GC '10 was by far the most fun I've ever had competing in any type of athletic contest. I was a little bit nervous coming in as a "new guy", but everybody went out of there way to make me feel welcome. What a great group of people!

Climber's gym is a first-rate facility. It's mostly old school, with a little bit of new school sprinkled in. The perfect place to hold a contest of this nature.

Extremely strong group of competitors! I learned a ton about technique, strategy, etc, from observing and talking with others. I found everybody there to be very helpful and supportive. Because this was such a positive experience, I'm hoping to compete in many more grip competitions in the future.

A big "thank you" to all of the competitors, judges, sponsors, and promotors for making GC '10 an awesome event!

I'd also like to extend a special "thanks" to the Rice family for the hospitality that was shown. They treated all of us like we were family.

yup Gripmas was Great Like always! Thanks for the hard work put in for a great contest Chris. Great to met you Todd! Watch put for him guys! He is Strong!

I believe the gripper score for me is wrong. I closed the 214.24# but missed the 217 because my pinkie slipped off. Rechalked for an unofficial 5th attempt and missed again. These were my first ever choked gripper closes and I was feeling a bit nervous going in, because the finish has typically been my weak point. Anyhow, it turned out to be a good day for me on this event. When Tom and I left the gym at 7am I told him I felt good from me week and half off of grip work.

The 2hp was next and I was shooting for over 105kg and upwards of 240# if everything felt good. I had pulled a pr on my 2hp the week prior but saturday it was not to be. Made my opener at 220 and that was it. I can't be too upset because my 2hp was a major weakness in my overall grip sport game, I think I pulled 185-190 at Nationals this year. 240# and beyond will happen soon, I just need to keep training.

Double Overhand Axle was next and I had my plan set, 400-420-440-460#. I'm trying to plan for the FitExpo on Jan. 29-30 and it's is a last man standing event, everyone pulls at every weight, they're starting at 400# but I have not heard what the jumps will be. I did an extra attempt at 500# saturday and broke it to my knees as another training attempt.

The medley was set with 34 objects and many guys were tearing through it. Brent and I kept looking at it and were a bit nervous going in. I think the extra nerves helped both of us out as we both had very good success. The darn anvil heel lift and wide 45s got me.

The sledge lever for reps.....hurt. 26 reps and I no longer like Chris Rice for coming up with this event. Chris took top honors here.

Great job by Todd Coenen. Todd in his first ever comp was IMPRESSIVE. Very well rounded and will be doing big things in grip as his experience grows.

Brent continues his streak of growing strength. Brent will be achieving Elite status very soon.

Thank you to Chris and Teresa for again opening their home for us all to play.

Thank you to Sean Dockery for his judging ability and fantastic craftsmanship on the dumbbell handle I won. It will make lifting the millenium that much easier.

Another great event by Chris Rice! Thanks again to the Rice Family for all of their hospitality; from lodging to delicious food to perfect directions for those of us with moody GPS's. My favorite part of the contest was watching Andrew hydraulically shut the choker grippers. He's easily the best choker gripper guy that I've seen. Doesn't even try to position them in his hand and then just slowly shut them.

Doc made an off-set Inch DB trainer that will turn Inch training on its ear. To give you an idea, with NO collars, I think Andrew was having trouble with 140# or so? It was after the contest but after messing with that thing several times, he went over and picked up the Gracie bell which I believe is 143#, like a toy. If lifting the Inch is a priority for you, that's the tool to have.

It was nice to catch up with old friends again and make some new ones. Todd Coen(sp?) is going to be one to watch!

the day started off with the gas pump not shutting off and spraying my shoes. so, in 20 degree weather I drove most of the way with my window down. Once I got there and started moving around I felt a lot better.

going into grippers I had really wanted to get both a #4 and over 200#. I hit 191 as my opener. it felt pretty easy. then I jumped to 199 and missed. I think i flexed it, not much else. tried 196 2x and couldn't get it. grippers are still a real weak point for me. I just can't seem to find the right training/attitude to straighten it out though.

2hp. we ended up going from thin to thick which is a huge advantage since I pinch on 58mm now. the weeks since leg 4 of WSH had not turned out the way I wanted to. so, I wasn't sure I would be hurt by the missed training or helped by the extra rest. plates felt very smooth but, good. As I was warming up it felt heavy but, it didn't feel like it was going to slip at all. I think that I need to readjust to how things feel now that I'm pulling a bigger weight. I wanted to go 215, 225, 230, 235. but, with the spacers and odd weights it ended up being. 213, 223, 230, 233. I missed 233 which would have put me back ahead of andrew on the all time list. It was a good lift, just too heavy. however, that's an additional 2-3 pound PR over leg 4 and it was the second event this time.

Axle. Axle has started to come up for me lately. During warm ups it felt good. at ggc I hit 360#. so, I figured 340 was a safe open. I got 340 and 360 and then tried 380 and missed 2x. I think it was about top of shin on the first and mid shin on the second. considering that I neglected to add in any axle training I was very happy with that.

Medley. Chris confused the hell out of me by doing it 4th. he was right though, we weren't doing anything after the hammers. Andrew and I had played with the medley after leg 4. in particular I remember that it took 3-4 attempts for me to break the ground on the thin pinch. I think andrew got a 2" lift with a couple of tries. watching other people fly through it was nerve wracking. especially since we couldn't remember the weight and decide if it was lighter or not(it was). there were some items I new I couldn't do going in. having to do the number I needed to get meant I had to get some of the items that I had never gotten before. Andrew let me borrow his lever belt for the 2 big deads. Which I think helped me out quite a bit. So I started with the axle dead and the reeves dead. reeves was pretty heavy and scary since it felt like you would lose a finger putting it down. then I went for the 2x45 and got it. I have never gotten 2x45 before. I then hit the blob series getting most left handed. The blob 50 I loaded and missed the platform 2 or 3 times. the gracie bell and napalms nightmare weren't too bad.(I would like to say that there was a damn lot of thickbar. 6 items? yikes) I had been trying the slim lever without a pad at home and hadn't been able to get my 12# hammer once. and even my 10# gave me trouble. I was very happy to get the 12# in the medley. the wrist levers gave me a lot more trouble than they should have. I can tell I've gotten away from doing those. and, I think my last item I got....the inch trainer loaded to 178. It went up pretty easy as well.(granted it had 45's on it and I braced like crazy)30 items. I should have had 32. there's is no excuse for me missing a blob and that lever at this point.

hammers. these sucked. we all did some warm ups and then started off. Andrew and I talked. I said that I thought 10 reps would be a nightmare. he thought 15 would be a win. then todd did 25 reps. At that point I was pretty sure he could gain enough ground in one event to eat up my lead. I broke out the ammonia for my attempt. I got 25 as well and never want to do that event again.

overall. todd is a monster and will be very very hard to beat soon. Eaton pulled back from his bad day at WSH. his numbers were all back up where they used to be. Nick kept threatening to bend shoes all day. stew made fun of me no matter what I did. I thought Odin was going to black out during the gripper event.

every one really put forward a very hard effort. while the field was smaller this year there was no lack of talent. and, all the normal faces who weren't there were missed.

thanks to Chris and Theresa for having us all there. it was a really well run comp and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Edited by barbe705
hit post to soon