Inch Dumbell At Armwrestling Tournament

Eric Roussin

I brought my Inch dumbbell replica to an armwrestling tournament I put on today. Four armwrestlers successfully deadlifted it with one hand to a full upright position. Unfortunately these lifts weren't filmed, but they were witnessed by many. The successful lifters were Shea Dickie, Brian Tamblyn, Devon Larratt, and myself. Shea, Brian, and Devon all used a hook grip (thumb on the same side of the handle as the fingers). Does a traditional Inch challenge usually specify that any type of grip can be used?

The grip you're describing is actually called a false grip or hold on to your hat...a thumbless grip, here in the US. We call a hook grip one where you cap your thumb (like in Powerlifting) so it would take a very large hand to hook grip an Inch, but maybe Devon could? The Inch lift is usually required to be done with a a traditional grip (thumb opposing fingers)although I have no idea why(?). The one you're describing puts more emphasis on the wrist; the traditional, more on the thumb, especially if you have a smaller hand.

I think quite a few armwrestlers could lift the Inch with a thumbless grip, as their wrists tend to be very strong. However, few would be able to lift it with a traditional grip, unless they have also done similar training (e.g. Rolling Thunder work).

Devon's hands aren't big enough to lift the Inch with a hook grip as you've described.

I would agree on the pullers lifting it thumbless. On a related note: Chad Woodall told me that he saw John Brzenk, ball up his fist, gooseneck his wrist, and hook it through a RT handle. There was 230# on it and then he pulled it up with ease and asked Chad if he could do it! :yikes

Jeez, that's incredible that 4 guys pulled the Inch with no training! Not surprised at the thumbless aspect since they obviously are the possessors of insane wrist strength. A prison armwrestler who isn't prone to exaggeration recently told me that he has pulled 355lbs on an Olympic bar with a one-hand thumbless-grip. I normally would dismiss that kind of talk as being incredibly stupid...but I took note when he told me that. Especially since he professed to not be aware that it was world class to the extreme.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing Eric!

We have tested quite a few pullers over here, only a few of the really strong guys or extremely large handed guys could lift it.

Eric,

Did you tell these dudes about Gripboard.com or GripSport.org by chance :whistel

Rendy took my inch to the Europa this year ... John Brzenk was there for an armwrestling tournament. I wasn't there but Jeff engles, Rendy Delacruz and Adrian Delgado witnessed John bend over, pick up the inch and partially hammer curl it.

Although they may not have trained specifically for the Inch, and may not train with the Rolling Thunder, all successful lifters definitely train their wrists. All four are top ranked, experienced armwrestlers in Canada. Also, Shea weighed in at 175 and Brian only weighed 180.

Rendy took my inch to the Europa this year ... John Brzenk was there for an armwrestling tournament. I wasn't there but Jeff engles, Rendy Delacruz and Adrian Delgado witnessed John bend over, pick up the inch and partially hammer curl it.

:blink

Although they may not have trained specifically for the Inch, and may not train with the Rolling Thunder, all successful lifters definitely train their wrists. All four are top ranked, experienced armwrestlers in Canada. Also, Shea weighed in at 175 and Brian only weighed 180.

eric have you ever weighed your inch mine is 176lb and ive heard of a full size one weighing 150lb before just asking not doubting i know all those guys are strong handed

Very impressive to deadlift the Inch by what I call 'palming' it, but whatever the term used such a lift is a very significant indicator of wrist strength, but not necessarily of grip strength. When I was traing for heavy wrist curls, my grip strength (closing a gripper) was not much if any improved. It would indeed be interesting to know if these same men could deadlift it with a standard grip. Or the opposite: can those who have succeeded with the standard grip, palm it?

The one factor that matters is that if a further goal is to clean the bell, then palming it will not help as much as the standard grip, or so it seems to me.

eric have you ever weighed your inch mine is 176lb and ive heard of a full size one weighing 150lb before just asking not doubting i know all those guys are strong handed

Interesting.

I am able to lift the Inch both ways, but find it easier with a standard grip. None of the others tried using a standard grip. I'd also be curious to see if they could pick it up this way.

I haven't weighed the dumbbell, but assume it to be near the exact weight. I ordered it through the link on Gripper Super Store.

The only time I can palm lift a dumbbell that weighs more than what I can standard grip pull is when I can wedge my thumb and hand against the bells tight. Then the sky is the limit if the fit is tight enough.