Grip Strength Dropping, Inside Of Elbows Sore - Advice?

mt-tom

I've been doing grip work for about 11 years now, mostly grippers. My general routine (2-3 times a week) is a few warmups with some light grippers, 15 to 20 singles with a cut BBE (filing a little more every week), 15 to 20 negatives with a IM #4, followed by some reps with a BBE or IM #3, and some pony clamp thumb work. I cycle through this every so often and have have been making steady improvement over the last couple of years - until recently. Over the last five months my grip strength has been dropping and the insides of my elbow has been hurting - presumably where the forearm flexors tie into the bone. The other fly in the ointment here is that I have had several surgical procedures on my pancreas in this timeframe under general anesthesia with some narcotic pain meds thrown in from time to time. So I'm thinking I might be developing tendonitits, the anesthesia and narcs have brought me down, or both. My bench press has also dropped, but is coming back. My grip is not! Right now I can still close my BBE with maximal effort and BP 365, but these are great reductions for me without any reduction in effort. In fact, I have been incresing my intensity and load.

I could sure use some advice or guidance. I am not looking for profesional medical advice, but many of you have been around the horn and might have even experienced what I have and overcame it to gain again. I appreciate any help that you could offer.

Tom :)

First off, those are great accomplishments on both grip and bench press. In regards to your problem, I would say a simple break could be needed. Anywhere from 1 week to 2 months might solve all the problems. At least, that helps when my tendonitis flares up. Extensor work with Ironmind bands or just any rubber bands could help as well. Finally, icing the hurt elbow(s) helped me in the past. Good luck with your recovery.

I second the grip deload. And being in the grip game so long I'm sure you're hitting the extensors. From experience in climbing, tendonitis comes from working grip too often or muscle imbalance.

I haven't tried this since I'm so new, haven't really hit a platuea, but it's been recommended to drop the grippers for a month and just do Rolling Thunder. It's been claimed to help break a crash in gripper strength. I do however take a week off grip work every two months for deload. Works every time.

Pardon the naive response, but I've really appreciated the suggestion to try Super Cissus RX. I had a fairly minor problem in my hand (a chronically sore middle finger knuckle) that was making it very difficult to apply anything like full strength to gripping, or even to move it after a workout. It has helped a lot. Now I can do complete workouts and signal other drivers!

Pardon the naive response, but I've really appreciated the suggestion to try Super Cissus RX. I had a fairly minor problem in my hand (a chronically sore middle finger knuckle) that was making it very difficult to apply anything like full strength to gripping, or even to move it after a workout. It has helped a lot. Now I can do complete workouts and signal other drivers!

On that note, I take Animal Flex. One more way to keep joints healthy and somewhat pain free.

Tom,

I had to take about two months off due to a similar problem with my right hand. I think I developed mine by getting too greedy on my plate curl progress and perhaps heavy wrist rolling. It hurt a lot to put any downward pressure on my fingertips while holding my hand in the PC position.

The main thing that helped me was rest and awareness while doing routine activities. I tried using my left hand as much as possible: for turning keys at work, for the computer mouse and any time I thought I could irritate it by lifting or moving anything. When sitting and even sleeping I attempted to avoid leaning on it or resting it in a way that would put any pressure on the area. It was really annoying because even other lifting or yoga was irritating the area if it involved the joint at all, even moving plates around was too much.

I rested the area other than very light rehab, neural flossing and extensor work and tried to get some blood moving followed by ice and eventually I did contrast baths. When I got to the point where I hit a plateau for about two weeks in pain reduction and decided it wasn't getting better, I added light eccentric (negative) movements, just shy of enough weight to cause pain and gradually increased the weight over time. I slowly started some abbreviated workouts followed by icing and now the area is pain-free. I avoided grippers until very recently and am still careful with pinching as that irritated the area when I first added it to the mix again.

Right now I'm just doing exercises that are the same as or very similar to the events in the Dec 4 Gripmas Contest held by Chris Rice in Crookesville, OH. So, I'm doing choked grippers, axle DO DL, light two-hand pinch and light sledge levering. I'm still not up to my usual standards but I love that contest (especially the grippers in chokers) and want to keep my streak of attending it.

About the surgery, I'm 50 and have had more than my share. After any major surgery or illness (especially when I've been close to death), I went through periods of low motivation/depression where I seemed to lack any inner fire. It will come back over time, just realize you need to give it time and gradually increase your expectations while trying to avoid any long "ruts". Good luck Tom and keep us posted on your progress!

After I do my full body warmup I now make sure to do a set or two of 30-50 pushdowns (a band would be better) followed by a giant set of light reps with the axle doing reverse curls (thumbless), reverse wrist curls, wrist curls and curls followed by a few stretches.

OTTOEMEZZO,

Thanks for the advice and the kind comments. I'm not real diligent with the extesnors, but I'm going to step it up now. I'll hit the icing, too.

Daniel,

I knew in my heart I needed to take a rest. Seing it in print from you and others solidified it in my mind. Thanks.

Treesloth,

I orderd some Super Cissus RX just today. Seems like quite a few good reviews on the web. It is definately worth a try. Thanks.

Odin,

Your advice was excellent and more comprehensive than I was expecting. I appreciate you sharing your experience, especially following surgery. It was spot on. At 43 with a bad pancreas for the last 15 years, I've been through quite a few surgeries myself, also close to death. I always struggle with the post-op depression, but thought I was getting better at handling it. You helped me realize I still need some time and help.

All the advice I got from you fellows was helpful and greatly appreciated. I thank you. I plan to take off at least two weeks from grip (probably more), do some active rest with a stress ball and extensor work, ice the elbows, and try the Super Cissus RX. Hopefully, this will do the trick. I'll report back. Thanks again,

Tom

R est

I ce

C ompression

E livation

also worth a shout doing sledge hammer rotations, full rom wrist curls, or anything that will get a good pump on...

I had the same thing happen to me, ended up being about 8 months off. In the end my hand strenght did come back, but rest is what you need I really don't think there is a quick fix at all. Soon you won't even be able to squat because those inner areas will hurt so bad. Heat will bring blood and O2 to the tendon, ice is for swelling or a acute injury and it sounds like your moving into the chronic stage so I would sugest rest before you make it worse. I would stop the negs now for sure too. That's my experience from 24 years, hope it helps, i n the end I bet I'm right to.

Parris

• 3 weeks later...

First time back at the grippers today after a three week layoff. Elbows feel better. Just did a few singles on the #3 and the Elite. Grip strength is down a bit, although I managed to close the Elite more times than not. I'm going to go slow for a while to take it easy on the elbows. Still taking the Super Cissus RX and doing extensor work almost every day. I'll report back on how the elbows and grip strength are progressing in the coming weeks.

Tom

I think if the lay off isn't too long (in my case anyway) I don't actually lose grip strength, just the feel for it. If that makes sense.

Glad your elbow is feeling better

First time back at the grippers today after a three week layoff. Elbows feel better. Just did a few singles on the #3 and the Elite. Grip strength is down a bit, although I managed to close the Elite more times than not. I'm going to go slow for a while to take it easy on the elbows. Still taking the Super Cissus RX and doing extensor work almost every day. I'll report back on how the elbows and grip strength are progressing in the coming weeks.

Tom

Glad to hear your Super RX and extensor work is working. Doing your elite for singles is a great way to come back. Good luck on gaining more grip strength back in time and new strength as well ;)

I had been nursing a similar elbow problem-I ended up taking several months off from movements that specifically aggravated the problem and would use a golfers elbow strap (similar to the jumper's knee strap) that has an air pocket that you place over the area. It worked great for repetitive activities though I still have a few flare ups.

I have been rehabing a nagging shoulder injury and went to see the Cleveland Browns shoulder surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic Sports Medicine facility. Everything checked out and there were no torn ligaments, so he put me on a newer therapy they have had great success with in Australia. Only as of recent are many athletes doing this here in the states. Nitroglycerin patches.... Yes, nitroglycerin patches same stuff used by folks with blood pressure issues. Except now they are seeing great results in athletes. Place one on my shoulder and it will increase the blood flow BIG time to promote recovery to that area. I have been doing it for about a month now and after a hard workout it really helps!