Training Muscles In Lower Hand

jchawk

I did not want to hijack a different thread where I first posed this question. One suggestion was to train extensions in a sandbucket. My assumption is that I would open and close my hand in the sand for reps. I would also spread my fingers open then together in the sand.

I was thinking maybe doing some crushes with that little gripper and only using my pinky and ring finger.

Again, my goal is to build up the muscles in my hand to provide a stronger base for CoC closes. It seems that the Titan's Telegraph Key machine is the answer to build up the thumb pad.

Sound reasonable?

By "lower hand" do you mean your pinky and ring finger muscles? If so, fwiw, I've been using the G/S grippers upside-down and two-fingered. The only problem is keeping it in the hand. Since the supporting leg of the gripper is not pressed firmly against the thumb pad, I sometimes have to press it into the hand with my free hand.

I'd like to get a 5-gallon bucket of rice for grips/extensions. Here's the plan: After other intense workouts when I'm really sweaty and disgusting, do a serious rice workout. Do that for about 10 years so that there's lots of sweat and skin and maybe a few bits of fingernail. Then find someone I don't get along with and offer them the bucket of rice to eat and go get a new one for myself.

Edited by treesloth

By "lower hand" do you mean your pinky and ring finger muscles?

I was referring to the lower part of your palm just above the wrist.

Here are some links that show the muscles courtesy of brujeria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abductor_digiti_minimi_muscle_of_hand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opponens_digiti_minimi_muscle

PS - I would hate to be on your bad side :-)

Edited by jchawk

I don't have any suggestions - but those muscles would be pretty hard to train in isolation.

Perhaps a pinkie finger lift would help work that general area (but you'd be advised to start with very light weights).

I did not want to hijack a different thread where I first posed this question. One suggestion was to train extensions in a sandbucket. My assumption is that I would open and close my hand in the sand for reps. I would also spread my fingers open then together in the sand.

I was thinking maybe doing some crushes with that little gripper and only using my pinky and ring finger.

Again, my goal is to build up the muscles in my hand to provide a stronger base for CoC closes. It seems that the Titan's Telegraph Key machine is the answer to build up the thumb pad.

Sound reasonable?

try to rain all aspects of grip & wrist. if grippers are your goal, then I'd say focus more on crush and pinch, BUT you seem to have the right idea about having allround hand strength. extender work is never a bad idea and this certainly promotes a balanced & healthy hand. i wouldn't get too fussy about the equipment you use or trying to isolate parts of the hand/lower arm.

I'm an arm-wrestler & grappler. my best training tools are people :) i never train with grippers anymore, but my general hand strength improves everyday.

just think what's going to work for you and set yourself realistic goals.