People Who Dont Train Yet Still Beat People Who Do

wolfguard

How is this possible? I have a friend who does tons of grip work and a guy wanted to arm wrestle who supposedly had a good amount of experience with competing in arm wrestling. My friend totally slaughtered this guy. How can a guy who never trains for the sport beat a guy who does?

For how long is the "armwrestling" guy in the sport or training? Is there any weight difference between those guys?

Would be interesting to know.

In Armwrestling Hand strength is on of the most important things to have. Maybe your friend is genetically gifted and/or built up a lot of hand strength throw gripwork??

I train for armwrestling more or less than 3 years by now. In August I had training were a guy with less than 80kg showed up (I'm about 85-87kg) who never did any grip work or armwrestling training. He was an amateur ice hockey player.

this guy had incredible hand strength!! In my short time in the sport a armwrestled a lot of beginners. Strongman with more than 110kg bodyweight... etc.. but this skinny guy had the most powerfull hand I ever touched, if you think of absolute beginners.

He was very hard to beat.

That was impressive!!

So if the guy who has some "armwrestling" experience isn't a world class puller it wouldn't surprise me that much if he lose.

it's like in every other sport. Some people lift weights all the time, but get smoked by someone who is naturally much stronger. Some people just run faster naturally than someone who trains, but has no talent. I know a guy like this personally. He never armwrestled and knows no real technique at all and he got beaten in his first tournament that he attented for fun (everyone toprolled him and he didnt know what he is doing or whats going on). He lost all of his matches, but on the training table afterwards he asked for hook matches and noone could move him an inch. He just smiled and put them away easily. Those people armwrestled for some years and were amazed of his arm strength. Once he learns some proper technique etc. he might be a force, because i think he is gifted for the sport. Some people are just naturally stronger and its hard to compensate it even with training.

In your case i think the hard grip work of your friend paid off, like armwrestling is hand control and his "superior" handstrength might have been to much for this AW guy.

ups thabertl was faster, damn :-)

Edited by Schweinemann

How is this possible? I have a friend who does tons of grip work and a guy wanted to arm wrestle who supposedly had a good amount of experience with competing in arm wrestling. My friend totally slaughtered this guy. How can a guy who never trains for the sport beat a guy who does?

Like previously mentioned your friend obviously had dominant hand strength and could neutralize arm wrestler's move. Also your friend's arm strength could match with his. It would take good amount of difference in arm strength or technique to win if hand is lost. Maybe the arm wrestler had concentrated on one move and since it didn't work was not experienced enough or well rounded to find a way to beat your friend? Obviously your friend is also gifted if there wasn't considerable weight difference to your friends advantage.

Because he is stronger, right? Or better or smarter or whatever. Just because you train for something doesn't mean you're good at it.

it happens. i've been into grappling and contact sports for 20+ years. i've been armwrestling seriously for 7 months, training 2-3 times a month with top class pullers. i weigh 87kg

a good friend of mine, does zero training apart from the occasional arm wrestle in the pub, but he's a plasterer by trade, has big hands, strong wrists and never ever quits. he weighs around 75kg can still own me at armwrestling.

he pulls from crazy angles, that would make any seasoned puller cringe, but his lower arm & hand strength are crazy for somebody that technically does no training.

I am going to see if I can get him to try actually learning the sport would be interesting to see