Plates For Pinching

Eric Roussin

I'm looking to find some plates to practice pinch work -- 25s, 35s, and 45s -- but most of the ones I come across have a slick finish which makes it very difficult to get a good grip. Can anyone recommend some plates that aren't so slick, and that aren't too wide?

Hi Eric,

I was able to find a pair of CAP Olympic 35 pound plates at Sports Authority. It seems to be hard finding them in stores since so many of the new plates are not that good for pinching. I also bought several of the same brand plates in different poundages from Weightlifters Warehouse.

I have a couple of CAP 35s. I find them good for hub lifts, but very tough for pinching (they're wide and slick). Mine have handles on them. Are yours the same type?

I have a couple of CAP 35s. I find them good for hub lifts, but very tough for pinching (they're wide and slick). Mine have handles on them. Are yours the same type?

Those are different. These have no handles, are not wide, and hold chalk well. Very good texture. I'll send you a link with a picture.

• 3 weeks later...

May I recommend some hockey stick tape on the gripping surface... I know it may sound like cheating to some guys but it works pretty good if you don't like to use messy chalk. I recently bought a chalk ball. It looks like gym chalk inside in a nylon ball.Just squeeze it and it releases a small amount of chalk. Pretty good idea not too messy. (especially) if you have black rubber mats in your gym like I do.