Mod Gripper Pictures

Guest Youngguy

Youngguy,

I know that you're certified, so what gripper was modified? A BBE; a #4? Or a certain rated PDA?

Just wondering.

I am going to make one from a #3, once I find the time, within the next couple of weeks.

BTW, nice job on the gripper.

Guest Youngguy

It is a #4 gripper, and I got some more pictures to post. I had to edit those two to fit right on the page. So, I will have some more.

I would also like to mention that the extensions are completely hand made by me (not to gloat), but I feel like I had accomplished something manly :D .

Good job! You also managed to find something I could not, namely an aluminum bar the size of a gripper handle. Home Depot and Lowes both sell aluminum bars, but in smaller sizes. Where did you find this particular piece of material? Also, what did you use to make the knurling? I know there are some inexpensive tools on the market for this, maybe you found one.

Guest Youngguy

I did not find the aluminum, my dad's friend named Ed buys the stuff allot in all different sizes. The knurling part I can explain. You use a laid machine (don't confuse with wood laid, I think they are very different), and a knurling piece that attaches to the side. Then you run the laid, and let power feed handle it for 30min., but his power feed was broken so I had to do it myself. It took a very long time, but I managed to sit there and slightly turn and turn and get the job done. After that I hacksawed the bar into 1 ¼” pieces. Then I shave the sides with the shaving piece.

Here is the good part; Ed had a gauge that I could use to get the measurements on the extensions hairpiece accurate. We are talking 1,000 of an inch too. After the two extensions were done, I had to go drill the handles. Unfortunately one of the sides was drilled of center, but Ed said we could fix that next time by drilling a larger hole and make it more centered.

If I ever get a chance I can find out were my dad’s friend orders or buys the stuff, but I think it was from a hardware store. The hardware stores have short supply and rarely have the types of bars that you would look for. I am sure there is somewhere you can order it so you don’t have to get up and go get it.

Is the material Fortal Aluminum? If it is, it`s expensive and most

likely comes from a supplier or specialty metal vendor.

I have seen a piece of Fortal 3inch diameter x 24 in length

go for a $100.

By the way, nice job!! :cool