Im Hub And Rt Use Questions

daniel reinard

I got to use my IM hub and RT today. I took them to the gym and clipped them to a machine to do pulls. (I don't have a loading pin yet.) I feel I pulled more than a new guy should have on both these pieces. 70lb on IM hub both hands and 200lb for 10 reps both hands on RT. They are both the older versions and unsanded/modified.

Now for the questions: :help

1. By using a machine is it easier to pull a certian weight? Basically is 100lb really equiv to 100lb on a loading pin? This is probably a dumb question but I don't use weights much so don't know any better. I assume the mechanical advantage is accounted for by design of the machine.

2. How do you guys grip the IM hub? I found I can pull better if I don't use my pinky finger and use more of the ends of my fingers with my middle knuckles pointed out. (as supposed to max contact area with fingers straight like one would do to pinch two plates.)

3. How do you guys grip the RT? I tried two ways. Without feeling a max effort today I couldn't tell which was better. I can touch my thumb to my middle finger which puts more weight on those two, and less on the index finger. Or I can grab it so all fingers are doing their part but the thumb and middle finger don't get as much wrap around the handle. They are probably less than a .25" apart still.

Thanks in advance for your help.

most of the cable machines are not true weight they are off alot there is a cable crossover at the gym and you can switch from top position to bottom for curls you can curl the whole stack you should make a loading pin even a piece of pvc pipe will work to take to the gym and use real weights to lift with the numbers you lifted for the first time are real goodfor the first time if your cable machines are right at your gym you have a good start at some high numbers on both pieces if your gum does not have freeweights i would join a new gym good luck dan p about gripping anyway you want on the hub just dont wrap your fingers under the giant washer and the rolling thunder dont touch the sides and keep it from spinning and i dont think claw style is allowed get as much fingers you can under it

Edited by DAN PRAYDIS

I did some research and I think the system I was on had a mechanical advantage of 2. (But I'm not sure because it didn't have a floating pulley, just fixed pulleys. Floating pulleys give mechanical advantage but not sure about fixed pulleys of same diameter.) Which means the numbers should be half the weight of what the weight stack says. It varies like you say from machine to machine but now I know not use to them if I want real numbers. I'm in the process of getting a loading pin so I can get some real numbers to work with.

I did some research and I think the system I was on had a mechanical advantage of 2. (But I'm not sure because it didn't have a floating pulley, just fixed pulleys. Floating pulleys give mechanical advantage but not sure about fixed pulleys of same diameter.) Which means the numbers should be half the weight of what the weight stack says. It varies like you say from machine to machine but now I know not use to them if I want real numbers. I'm in the process of getting a loading pin so I can get some real numbers to work with.

im sure with you being a climber closing a 2.5 and pinching two 35lb plates allready and being new to hubbing & thickbar your not that far off them numbers

Thanks for the positive note. I've surprised myself before with grip, maybe I'll do so again.

As Dan knows (since I asked his advice on this) I have the new IM hub trainer. It is extra slick. Right now I can only pull 32.5 lbs in plates on it. That thing is tough. I made a simple hub trainer with a hockey puck and an eye bolt and I can pull about 43 pounds on it.

Edited by FrankD

Frank,

I assume my IM hub is the older version as it doesn't feel like powdercoating, just paint. (The RT I got from the same gentleman is also the older version. Old, new, doesn't matter to me.) It's unsanded so still slick. The thing felt good up to *40lb then I found myself adjusting grip positions until I could pull *70lb. I also didn't notice how slick it was until I got near my limit. I pinch it with 3 fingers, no pinky. I use the end of my finger for contact and I raise my middle knuckles. In climbing it's called a half crimp. So basically a finger tip pinch, as supposed to keeping fingers straight and maximizing the contact area all the way up the hub surface like one would do for plate pinching. I thought the IM hub could be frustrating when doing max attempts but that's only because this thing really challenges you to pinch like hell, which can feel a bit awkward. The RT was a lot more fun but I didn't hit a max on the machince so I wasn't defeated. The RT feels great in my hands. I really think I'll do well with this one. When I get a pin I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Dumb question, you count the weight of the pin on pulls right? So 25lb plate + pin weight= IM hub weight pulled. Do you count the hub or RT with carabiner too?

* these weights not verified true weight

Dumb question, you count the weight of the pin on pulls right? So 25lb plate + pin weight= IM hub weight pulled. Do you count the hub or RT with carabiner too?

For Rolling Thunder, everyone usually counts everthing. The entire rig on a RT, large pin, clip, handle, runs just under 7 lbs. Old ones ran 6 poungs.

For the IM Hub, it varies. For contests, everything counts. For home purposes, when using the little pin, much of the time just the plates are counted. Usually, with the large pin, everything gets included.

You are brand new on the IM Hub and you pulled 70 lbs? New version, old version, it does not matter, as that is very good. Very few have done that amount of weight.

For Rolling Thunder, everyone usually counts everthing. The entire rig on a RT, large pin, clip, handle, runs just under 7 lbs. Old ones ran 6 poungs.

For the IM Hub, it varies. For contests, everything counts. For home purposes, when using the little pin, much of the time just the plates are counted. Usually, with the large pin, everything gets included.

You are brand new on the IM Hub and you pulled 70 lbs? New version, old version, it does not matter, as that is very good. Very few have done that amount of weight.

Thanks for the answers on that. :mosher

The weights pulled was on a machine. I can't say how true the numbers were. I don't believe the machine to have had a mechanical advantage but I'll assume the numbers could be wrong until I receive a pin for freeweight pulls.

ones ran 6 poungs.

A "poung" weighs the same as a "pound" :blush

I just shot over to a friends to ghetto make up a pin with weights. I pulled 35lb on the hub. Looks like the machine had a MA of 2 so it's numbers need to be cut in half. Sounds more like a new guys numbers. I already did my grippers and bending today too. Now I need to get a baseline with the RT.

using a good gym chalk or keeping your hands from getting dry what i mean is if you rub your hands together and it sounds like sandpaper use lots of hand cream a couple hours from workout then wash them good in warm water and soap and you should add about 10 or 15 pounds to your lifts my hands are always dryer than normal good luck in your lifts

using a good gym chalk or keeping your hands from getting dry what i mean is if you rub your hands together and it sounds like sandpaper use lots of hand cream a couple hours from workout then wash them good in warm water and soap and you should add about 10 or 15 pounds to your lifts my hands are always dryer than normal good luck in your lifts

I use climbing chalk. It also has a drying agent in it. That stuff can dry the hell out of your hands over time so I use lotion on off days. I'll have to try the lotion then wash hands method. I'll even take a 5lb gain.

On a side note I read a story about a climber who was born with no sweat glands. So instead of chalk he uses water because that small bit of moisture actually makes you sticky. And without it your hands become slick like cardboard.

Yeah, on the IM hub I don't count the weight of the loading pin. It is fairly light. Just the plates. I used windex then chalk and my lift went up to 35 lbs. Thanks Dan Praydis for that tip!

Pulled 43lb on the IM hub by changing up my grip. Still using chalk but haven't tried windex or lotion/washing idea.

I ended up sanding down my hub so it would hold chalk. My lift went from 35lbs in plates to 47.5 lbs in plates. I was amazed.

I received my loading pin today so I shot down to the gym for some pulls. I got 50lb RH and 45 LH. I have the big pin so I can do RT pulls, so I added the weight of the gear (pin, biner and hub =5lb) I've kept the hub unsanded so far.

I pulled 161.5lb LH on the RT and forget what I did RH, it tired out quickly and was less. This was my third grip day in a row, so addicting!

• 3 weeks later...

I found with the ironmind hub finger positioning was crucial for me and using every finger is very important..more finger..more gripping surface. Another thing too, especially in a comp, is before you go for your lift is to make sure that the lifting gear wont rotate alot when you lift, what I do is just lift up the hub with my hand, let the plates rotate into position and then grip up for the lift. I think my best lefts on the hub when I trained for it was 28kg in plates and that was on the newer slicker hub version. I mainly train arm wrestling now but there must be some carry over because I can still lift 22.5kg in plates easily any day of the week with no specific grip training.

Heres the vid..

Edited by verdigriz

I found with the ironmind hub finger positioning was crucial for me and using every finger is very important..more finger..more gripping surface. Another thing too, especially in a comp, is before you go for your lift is to make sure that the lifting gear wont rotate alot when you lift, what I do is just lift up the hub with my hand, let the plates rotate into position and then grip up for the lift. I think my best lefts on the hub when I trained for it was 28kg in plates and that was on the newer slicker hub version. I mainly train arm wrestling now but there must be some carry over because I can still lift 22.5kg in plates easily any day of the week with no specific grip training.

Heres the vid..

Nice lift. I am still stuck on 47.5 lbs. Last night I got air with 50lbs in plates but no lockout.

Heres the vid..

I do the same thing myself I pick it a little bit let rotate set it down and repeat one more time to make sure all the rotation is gone then with my left hand keep a little pressue then set with my right my best lift in a comp is 61.25 lbs

Edited by lone Wolf

Nice, that is a big lift. I want to get to at least 55 lbs. I think I will be able to get a 45 lb plate by the hub if I can hit that weight. Do you agree?

Edited by FrankD

• 1 month later...

Hey Frank you should be pretty close right now are you giving your

45 lb. plate any atempts right now . Try this get your 45 lb plate

try lifting it up with a little help with your off hand on your thumb

get it about 6" off the ground then gently pull hand off your thumb

either hold it in that position or stand up if you ccan with it

then set it down. After that try 1 more time useing your off hand just

to help set your thumb on the hub then just try picking it up . give this a try

This weekend Lehf handed I was able to lift 42.5 on my IM hub couldn't

get 47.5 lbs. but was able to lift my 46.81 lb. 45 plate

good luck

Robert

Nice, that is a big lift. I want to get to at least 55 lbs. I think I will be able to get a 45 lb plate by the hub if I can hit that weight. Do you agree?