Grip Machine Vs. Grippers

HandsofStone

This may of been discussed before but I can't seem to find it in the search engine. I wanted to find out what the ratio is to grippers that a BB type grip machine has over them. Anyone know? I was told by Bill Ennis from Weightlifter's Warehouse that it is 1:1. For some reason though, I don't buy it. I was also curious as to how much in max weight have you guys on the board gotten up to using a grip machine like the one listed above? (Full REP(S) not negatives) Is it possible as well to use a grip machine exclusively and nothing else and be able to close a #2 and #3 eventually?

For best results with the grippers, I say train the grippers. It really is a very specific discipline, althogh, yes, training the machines will improve gripper strength. My analogy: squat to be a good squatter, but doing good mornings exclusively will improve your squatting, although they're not a replacement.

My analogy: squat to be a good squatter, but doing good mornings exclusively will improve your squatting, although they're not a replacement.

I totally agree with that statement ! :bow

To be good with the grippers... train with them...

To be even better with grippers... train with them, and the "machine".

Guest Mikael Siversson
For best results with the grippers, I say train the grippers. It really is a very specific discipline, althogh, yes, training the machines will improve gripper strength. My analogy: squat to be a good squatter, but doing good mornings exclusively will improve your squatting, although they're not a replacement.

I know of a guy who went from pulling 65 kg (143lbs) with the Rolling Thunder in October 2001 to pulling 90 kg (198lbs) in December 2002. He achieved this by training with grippers. He tried the RT about five times during this period, hardly enough to account for the massive gains. I would say there is plenty of cross-over from grippers to thick bars etc. Nick Mckinless closed a #3 first time without training with grippers but rather doing a motherload of other grip exercises.

There has to be a lot of crossover from thickbar to grippers, and grippers to pinch gripping and so on, but surely the best way to train is by doing the specific grip feat itself?

Could someone give me an estimate on how much one would have to close on a grip machine(grip handles being 3/4") in order to close a #2 and #3 just barely? I would appreciate some feedback on this, as it would give me a better idea on how close I would be to closing the gripper that I would be working on.

Referring to other peoples comments (on PDA I think) there is a major cheat that gets used on grip machines which negates any possible crossover. IF you use it, and by it I mean a standard grip machine, as strictly as possible I'd say 20-30% more will almost get you there but you'd still have to work on closures. If, however, you begin to use 'body english' to shrug pull etc, anything but squeeze, then kiss the benefits good bye.

Plus and again we have PDA to thank. The physics and dynamics of grippers is that they get harder as you close them. With a machine the shorter the range the more strength you have. So on a machine you could pull 140 and thats the same weight at the beginning as at the end. A gripper on the other hand (pun intended)...

Check out posts by John at PDA here and read up the info provided on his site.

Put simply strength is built by progressive resistance as we all know adding weight not reps. Spring grippers are handy, great tools to bring you to certain levels but, since they are of a fixed resistance you better have the entire "set" of them to train in a progressive manner. Reps don't mean strength(but they help) Top end hand strength would require some form of gripper that could micro adjust for steady gains.RS

Top end hand strength would require some form of gripper that could micro adjust for steady gains.RS

Ivanko Supergripper ! :)

Yet, what is fun with the COC's is that you can put the gripper on the table and just ask "can you close it or not ?". It's in or out...