Tom Black

Guest Jeff Roark

Guest Jeff Roark

I would like to know if you are still working with the clubbells. How has it helped or hindered your grip strength and overall health and strength? I read your articles on them and have been pretty interested in them from learning about them in other places. Scott Sonnon seems to be a real class act as far as I can tell. Are you using his clubbells now vs homemade ones? What are the major advantages to them over a well made homemade CB? Any disadvantages besides cost would be nice to hear also. Thanks for your time.

Scott Sonnon seems to be a real class act as far as I can tell.
That is certainly true! I've read the clubbell book and I highly recommend it as well. It's actually more than just the clubbells, he has much on history of "leverage" lifting.

Are you using his clubbells now vs homemade ones? What are the major advantages to them over a well made homemade CB? Any disadvantages besides cost would be nice to hear also.

Hmm...where did I put that homemade baseball bat filled with sand? No comparison whatsoever. The clubbell is SOLID and the balance is perfect (this is an overlooked consideration with the homemade ones). It swings smooth, and is now available in some big #ss sizes, 20, 25 and 45-pounds. One thing I really like about them is the grip on the handle, a good texture, not too smooth or rough. Weird thing to, sometimes I warm-up with them for just a minute and then go do pinches. Its just the right texture for my hands and my pinch immediately goes up.

Guest Jeff Roark

Thanks for the reply Tom. I e-mail Coach Sonnon about his products. He only advised me to buy the CST book to determine my goals and then move from there. Very strange compared to all the others in the buisness now. If it would have been any one else they would had me buying the latest pushup secret from who knows where. I am going to order the book today.

When it comes time to purchase some CBs what would you suggest Tom? Buying a pair or single bells? I am going to get a 15lber regardless, just wanting to know if you would go with 2 15s or a 15 and 20 or 25?

Guest Jeff Roark

Tom,

Did you happen to notice the video of Tony Cecchine (www.catchwrestle.com) doing the grip work with the clubs like one works with the Blobs? He was throwing the clubbells and catching them one the buisness end. I am not sure about the size he was using but if one could do the 45lb Bruiser Clubbell that way he would be strong.

Edited by Jeff Roark

Jeff,

I only have the 15-pound for now, but all the exercises in the book show two. I believe you can get away with one club for a long time, and it’s certainly enough to figure out how you like the movements. On the other hand, there’s a discount when you buy two. On the selection of clubs, most strong guys who do grip and lift weights can handle the 15-pound right away for most of the exercises, and it’s enough weight even for an advanced trainee on some of the more difficult movements. You would never regret getting at least one 15-pounder.

I had an idea the other day on how to determine what club to select. I noticed too late that Mr. Sonnon had a contest for the first person to clean to order the big 45-pound clubs. Curious, I went down to my gym and loaded up the far end of my Ironmind Olympic loading pin starting with 20 pounds plus the pin (about 25 pounds). I used the PDA locking collar, if you try this you must have a locking collar (Ironmind’s or PDA). I then did some of the exercises. I think that 25-pounds is very reasonable for a strong guy. I found that I could also call to order a 45-pound club, but I’m not sure what else I could do with such a monster (perhaps the torch, I didn’t try).

No, I saw some of Tony’s videos, but not that one. Hey, the directions on the clubs recommends against things like throwing them. There’s even a rope to loop around your hand (which I removed).

Guest Jeff Roark

Well, maybe throwing was not the correct words. He was doing the blob catching type exercise that Brookfeild recommends. I am really interested in all the things Coach Sonnon has to offer and wish that I had the jack to get a complete gym and all his books and tapes. I guess I will take my time and read all the old posts over at his site to learn as much as I can so I can be somewhat knowledgable in discussions about his methods. fromw what I can tell these are definately light years ahead of the old (light) Indian clubs. These things must really bust your ass because I saw where Coach Sonnon invited some guy to train with him and he told him to bring the puke bucket and tissues! One thing also about Scott Sonnon he looks very healthy and athletic, I am not so much worried about my build but he has the look I prefer, lean and probably deceivingly strong.