Dumb Question

DanCottle

Hey I dont have a scale at my gym but I was trying to figure out how much our thick bar weighed. I asked staff and they didnt know. Its 2" or so.. the same diameter as where the weights go on. It feels alot heavier than a standard olympic bar so im assuming it is solid steel. Any idea?

Hey I dont have a scale at my gym but I was trying to figure out how much our thick bar weighed. I asked staff and they didnt know. Its 2" or so.. the same diameter as where the weights go on. It feels alot heavier than a standard olympic bar so im assuming it is solid steel. Any idea?

According to a quick search using google, as you put "or so" it ranges bewteen 40 and 50 lb, starting at 2.0 inch diameter, 6 & 1/2 feet long.

Well if it's solid throughout, all you need is the length and dia. and you can work it out.

The density of steel is 7850kg/m³.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it turns out that it is actually 90 pounds... Well I can do 450 pounds alternate grip for 25 seconds. And I pulled 500 for about 1 second after that ha i was pretty tired. I havent been doin much double over hand but now that I realize im not as weak as i thought i will do more lol..

500 for a single on 2" thick bar with DO grip??? Didn't Rich Williams pull 500 for a world record. If that's indeed the case, I'd love to see a vid. Impressive!

500 for a single on 2" thick bar with DO grip??? Didn't Rich Williams pull 500 for a world record. If that's indeed the case, I'd love to see a vid. Impressive!

He said he used a mixed grip. Rich did it DO.

well the 500 on a mixed is good in my opinion, i bet a lot of guys here wish they could do that...

Parris

well the 500 on a mixed is good in my opinion, i bet a lot of guys here wish they could do that...

Parris

I'm sure there are lots of guys on the board who wish the could just deadlift 500# regardless of grip. I know I'd love to be pulling 500 on a thick bar.

Well I was only estimating before when I said 300s for DO but I maxed out and I could only do exactly 300 vs my mixed of 500(kinda disappointing). I also noticed that I can do a partial hook grip with my left hand and not my right. When I say partial I mean my finger overlaps my thumb by around a quarter or less of an inch. My right thumb is prob shorter from when i dislocated it like 5 years ago. I did not try to lift it with that hook grip but i could see it possibly helping!

• 3 weeks later...