Hand Dorsal Muscle Exercises

treesloth

Hi. I'd appreciate knowing what folks do for full-motion exercises of the muscles of the back of the hand. I got a set of Ironmind "Expand-Your-Hand" bands. They seem ok, but not terribly well suited to the task. Combining with a small band of velcro around the fingertips helps keep things in place, though. Any other ideas? I have some good ideas (I think...) for static exercise, but for full RoM movement, I'm not as happy with what I'm finding. Many thanks in advance.

Edited by treesloth

I´ve read about filling a bucket full of rice, putting your hands in it and then open and close them as fast as you can. Gives a realy good burn.

Only doesn´t seem very practical to me. I prefer to eat rice. Maybe some wristroller stuff?

You can use the search function (e.g. 'bucket', 'extensor') to find several previous discussions too. Most suggest either band type work or, as Geralt mentioned, some kind of resistance media ranging from water, lentils, rice, sand, whatever, depending on your strength level.

Ah, thanks for the replies. I've heard of "rice in a bucket"-type ideas, but hadn't considered just reversing the motion. And thanks as well for the better search terms. I was looking for "dorsal" and not getting what I wanted, but "extensor" makes sense.

I used the bucket of sand method a few years ago and actually strained my thumb so just be careful if you go down that route!