Knuckles Popping

goeyj

Is it normal for knuckles to pop while closing grippers? I just started with some CoC grippers and can close the #1. Obviously, my hands are not brittle, but I have always had a bad habit of cracking my knuckles. It doesn't hurt at all, but just wondering if there is damage being done that I'm not aware of. I do not overtrain either.

Is it normal for knuckles to pop while closing grippers? I just started with some CoC grippers and can close the #1. Obviously, my hands are not brittle, but I have always had a bad habit of cracking my knuckles. It doesn't hurt at all, but just wondering if there is damage being done that I'm not aware of. I do not overtrain either.

I had the same in the beginning two years ago. When my friends try one of my grippers, they experience the same. That's just the hands getting used to the movement.

I experienced that making a full range closing movement caused the knuckles to pop, so maybe you can practise setting a gripper, and thus closing the gripper

from parallel set, and then working on the full range close. Your hands wil get used to the stress. And, don't fiddle with those things everyday. Two or three times perhaps is better. I now train only once a week.

Just warm up. I have to get my hands warm and "get the clicks out" every workout. That quote I got from Nathan Holle's part of the CoC book.

Be careful with this pops because it means that you didn't warm up properly, do as Matt says, warm up well, get the clicks out with a very easy gripper and after you feel properly warm up, make whatever attempt you try.

I got injured my left hand after this "pops", it left feeling pain between the index knuckle and middle knuckle for like 2 months after that, not to mention losing strenght too.

I had the same in the beginning two years ago. When my friends try one of my grippers, they experience the same. That's just the hands getting used to the movement.

I experienced that making a full range closing movement caused the knuckles to pop, so maybe you can practise setting a gripper, and thus closing the gripper

from parallel set, and then working on the full range close. Your hands wil get used to the stress. And, don't fiddle with those things everyday. Two or three times perhaps is better. I now train only once a week.

Agreed on those tips, I figured that doing a proper warm up is a normal thing to do,that's why I didn't mention it...I wash my hands in warm water thoroughly for a few minutes before every training. Then starting a few reps on a light gripper. And with two or three times I was meaning per week when starting out light. :blush

Edited by Geralt

Luke here on the board (lukeamdman) has a trick pinkie. It locks up on him sometimes during a close and if he goes for it, it will pop and hurt like hell. Usually he has to bail out of that attempt, pop it himself, then try again. My point is that some people might just have a problem with a tendon being weird and a joint locking up. I would just advise not trying to squeeze through the pop.

My knuckles,click and pop sometimes,but a few reps on a light gripper sort it out.I also use a muscle rub on my hands when I am going heavy,to warm them.