Your Most Miserable Failure?

EricMilfeld

AnimalCage- not to bust your chops too badly, and I'm sorry to bring back the memory, but your talk of the SuperGrip Challenge just now reminded of your post last fall. Here's part of it...

"...and it was a humbling experience.  As far as points go, I got my butt kicked by everybody, including a 13 year old girl."

You must have repressed that one well. ;)

BC.

My most embarrassing moments were just last August in a strongman contest. I couldn't even pick up the farmer's bars to begin the event. Yes, they were heavier than anything I had ever attempted before but the sinking feeling of failure was still there. Knowing that everyone, competitors and spectators alike, is sitting there watching my face turn eight shades of red and contorting itself into previously unimagined expressions, as I struggle and grunt to lift the weight... well... I didn't find it to be very much fun. All I could do was turn and walk away empty handed when time ran out. Couple that with straining my back during that event and hearing the guy on the PA announce, for all to hear, "Brian Carlton passes on the last event". Well, I didn't like that very much either. Going out and being congratulated for finishing fifth out of five felt a bit cheap.

BC.

Bombing out at bench nationals. Horrible. My only bomb.

Bill, you should see the bench press at that site. The press command is called while the bar is still moving, and there is no lockout.

AnimalCage,

Don't feel too bad about your gripper mishap. I just started training for the Inch, and quickly discovered that it's gonna have to be a "once a week thing". My forearms take a terrible beating on that thick bar stuff, and you can just assume that any attempts with the grippers for the next couple of days are gonna suck. By the way, I intended to delete my last post concerning your phonebook incident, but apparently you didn't find my attempt at humor to be in bad taste, as I was afraid you would. I know what a drag it is to be put out of commission due to serious injury.

Once, I was giving technique points on sumo deadlift to this 15 years old beginner. I showed him the movement without a bar and then with the bar. His bar was 225 lbs. I took the bar and pulled so fast that I fell back down on my butt. I had just the time to throw the bar in front so it won't break my legs. People in the gym gave me three reds.

Tou,

The members of your gym must belong to one of those overly strict organizations :yikes

Eric,

The day I can't take a joke, even in bad taste (which yours wasn't), I'll do two things:

First: I'll quit posting here and give my grippers a decent burial.

Second: Start my own forum at www.spoonfed-weenie.com.

Tou knows what I'm saying. He's the reigning champ at turning frustration and bitterness into a VERY positive, in-your-face experience!

I remember trying my hand at the Inch rep at last year's AOBS (all of us from the GripTable had a go at it). All I could do is spin the silly sucker on the floor! :cry I thought to myself, "This is quite an embarassing moment for the great and mighty Sybersnott!". :blush

Then I remembered something. No one is great and mighty all the time!! :tongue I left the dinner with my dignity in tact... vowing one day to conquer the massive beast!! :rolleyes :stuart

I normally don't dwell on my failures, but I'll drag this one up for it's educative value, something I learned just this week: 1mm is NOT close on a CoC gripper. My mistake. :angry:

I also learned that while you can train when afflicted by a cold, don't expect to make any strength PRs.

Sybersnott,

Next time you try your mighty hands on the Inch, remember, use your ENTIRE hand on the beast, and not just your thumb and forefinger. And once again your greatness will shine in all of its majestic glory for all of our pleasure ;)

Edited by eric milfeld

My most miserable failure was an inexplicable attempt to 'recruit my stabilizing muscles' by squatting (in a squat cage) while standing on a basketball.

Yes, a basketball.

After two weeks of practicing the balance, setup* and 'technique' required, I loaded a warmup weight onto the bar, and...

KerrrrPOWW!! :whacked

*In case you'd like to try Jeff's PUETMWB program (Poliquin's Unstable Environment Training, Modified. With Basketballs.), here's the setup:

1. Stand on a basketball in your squat cage and squat as low as you can without tipping off. Set the safety pins at that level.

2. Remove the basketball from the cage and begin practicing your balance daily. The training regimen consists of standing on the ball until you fall off. When you can stand on the ball indefinitely, begin attemping to perform unweighted squats on the ball. When you can perform 8 steady unweighted squats on the ball, you are ready.

3. Place the ball in the center of the cage. Set your squat bar on the pins toward the center, and work your way under it while squatting on the ball.

4. Make sure of your balance by raising the bar off the pins a short ways until you feel confident you can stand up without tipping. When you are sure, straighten your legs and embark on your journey to ever-greater functional strength!

:cool