My Forearm Training

Somerandomdude

Goal: Awesome forearms for injury prevention and a great grip. Not specifically "gripper" grip or for strength stunts but more generalised.

Current forearm routine:

Rice bucket 8min circuit (routine copied from youtube video "Baseball Performance Training.com part 2" http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=33904&st=0&p=471401&hl=%20rice%20%20bucket&fromsearch=1&)

1x50 wrist curls

3x12 reverse curls

I'm doing the rice bucket daily and the rest of it is 3 times a week but once I get rid of some ligament bruising I'll be doing those daily too.

Suggestions?

Edited by Somerandomdude

Goal: Awesome forearms for injury prevention and a great grip. Not specifically "gripper" grip or for strength stunts but more generalised.

Current forearm routine:

Rice bucket 8min circuit (routine copied from youtube video "Baseball Performance Training.com part 2" http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=33904&st=0&p=471401&hl=%20rice%20%20bucket&fromsearch=1&)

1x50 wrist curls

3x12 reverse curls

I'm doing the rice bucket daily and the rest of it is 3 times a week but once I get rid of some ligament bruising I'll be doing those daily too.

Suggestions?

If it was me I would lower the reps on the wrist-curls to 8-12 and increase it to 4-6 sets, add a 2-3 sets of reverse wrist-curls, same rep-range and 2-3 sets of hammer-curl. These exercises will hit more or less the whole forearm. For added hand/thumb strength, I would do some plate-pinch for time, 3-5 sets for 5-15 seconds.

No need to buy any grippers or other special equipment. I would actually advice you to NEVER buy any of that stuff ( :whistel ) because once you start you can never stop. I guess I have around 20 grippers by now. :cry I love it though.

Good luck

Claes

Ps. More isnt better, twice a week to start with is OK. If you recover OK then try three times a week.

Edited by Mr.Moose

Thanks for the response.

Regarding the frequency, you're right, and most people who say they're training every day are being over zealous (hell, maybe I am too) but I've been at this for a while and have built up to it. Forearms have always confused me though (forearms, hands, feet, shoulders... too many muscles working together = complicated) but you seem to have managed to simplify it for me.

For whatever reason plate-pinches lack the fun element for me so I'll leave them for whenever I want to take my forearm training to the next level, but I'll definitely add in hammer curls.

I like my high rep wrist curls though, my hands will fall off before I stop doing them.