Essential Exercises

OTTOEMEZZO

What would you consider to be absolute essential exercises? The ones you cannot go without... Obviously this varies from person to person, but surely nobody serious about strength can leave squats out of their workout. Probably deadlifts fall into that absolutely essential category as well, unless there is an injury, of course. Now, I suppose every exercise has its place somewhere in the world of powerlifting, strongman, bodybuilding, grip training, etc. but that does not mean that a 600 lb deadlift can be compared to a 50 lb curl. I think all of us would agree that the former is a much better strength indicator. So, what would you say are the top exercises? Let's say you could only do these moves for the rest of your life. Which ones can you live without and which ones you cannot?

Edited by OTTOEMEZZO

Deadlifts can be left out. Most people do them wrong and wreck their bodies (me included!). Same thing with squats. There is no magic exercise. The squat IS really more of a back lift the way most people incorrectly perform the exercise.

One just needs a set of exercises that are safe, they can perform with proper form, that cover the full musculature. And, this includes balance as well...front and back of the body.

What would you consider to be absolute essential exercises? The ones you cannot go without... Obviously this varies from person to person, but surely nobody serious about strength can leave squats out of their workout. Probably deadlifts fall into that absolutely essential category as well, unless there is an injury, of course. Now, I suppose every exercise has its place somewhere in the world of powerlifting, strongman, bodybuilding, grip training, etc. but that does not mean that a 600 lb deadlift can be compared to a 50 lb curl. I think all of us would agree that the former is a much better strength indicator. So, what would you say are the top exercises? Let's say you could only do these moves for the rest of your life. Which ones can you live without and which ones you cannot?

Just a comment I want to say about the deadlift part:

I like "stone dummie"-exercise more then deadlift, for functional strenght.

I am talking about an exercise i picked up from a Swedish Guy. Its somewhat similar to atlas stones training. You put weight plates on a loading pin and just lift whole thing it like you would lift a heavy stone.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the guy I learned about the exercise from, had got the idea from David Horne.

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun

If I had to only do one exercise it would be the Clean + Jerk. Most bang for my buck. Covers a lot of areas. Yes this assumes proper technique for the lifter.

There isn't an essential exercise, at least not in the way I think of "essential" - anything can be worked around / subsituted for depending on the circumstances.

For me, the squat, the deadlift, the overhead press are the essentials at building that lower and upper body strength. From than on, according to what is your goal, you adjust the other exercises.

For me, squats, pullups (I use my pulling muscles more than my pushing ones so I'd put these even higher than the following exercise), dips, and prob overhead presses. I could get by, and have, with just those. I also believe in carrying weight in some form, as I have also always done taht for work and gpp

I should mention my own picks. For me, these are the essentials that I enjoy most and believe they bring the most functional strength.

1. Deadlift

2. Pull Ups

3. Grippers

4. Thick Bar

5. Clean and Press

6. Squats

7. Bench Press

I would have to say squats and I also like the clean and press a lot. As far as grip use a fat bar for the clean and press, it will get you really far if your doing it double overhand. My results are proof in the pudding. I ve been working out for 25 years now but never hard core and I feel the bring me up to speed for any grip stuff too. I also really like the 2HP a lot and deadlifts with a fat bar.

Parris

You ask for essential but mention just strength. I'd say essential translates to applicable. What do you really do with your body every day? Also, how long can you sustain that strength? I'd say an excersise that is applicable to your lifestyle and one that you can do repeatidly is an essential excercise. One time feats or isolated muscle groups aren't generally essential.

As it pertains to me:

Climbing. Period. I can climb the ceiling of my garage for 30 minutes 4 times a week and get a tight core, strong back and shoulders, crazy fingertip grip, and flexibility and endurance as well. Let's not forgot the mental part of the excersise. Besides normal pushing through pain, technique and focus, I believe climbing to add stricter mental focus on breathing, technique, and ones ability to cope with natural fears under stress. It's functional strength. I can't remembered the last time I had to lift a car over my head or squat one on my back. Ok, slight exaggeration but the point stands. I used to deadlift and squat but I haven't in 10 years because I found I can do without them.

I'll add weighted stair climbs to finish off the body. If you can't walk or run your butt any realistic, functional distance then I'd consider the strength attempt a fail. There are a lot of strong guys who can't do this!

Daniel,

Certainly, in today's world there are not many strength/endurance feats we need to do to survive every day life. Even climbing, I don't remember the last time I had to climb 40 feet to survive. However, you are certainly right about running and climbing. These feats are definitly important in life, just so that you are ready in case there is an emergency, as well as overall health. To me, same with deadlifts and squats. I fell on my back when I was 7 and mislocated a bone. Doctors told me I won't be able to jump or lift things. Well, I haven't done anything heavy until recently and I feel like adding muscles to my lower back through deadlifts helps me protect that area. Not to mention when I help a friend move out of the apartment, I know to keep my spine straight. After deadlifting some heavy weights in the gym, a bed no longer feels heavy either. Anyway, I am sure that I will add some things to the list in the future, maybe even remove some. I've always been interested in climbing and went a few times. I was a strong runner in high school. And when I was younger, I used to jump pretty far. Who knows, maybe these will be the most important to me in the future. All are functional.

2. Atlas Stone lifts- ok not very practical if you don't have a stone, but they are fairly easy to make. Involves the basic task of picking something up, but involves the upper body, upper back, shoulders more than the traditional deadlift as you have to hold the stone.

You can just use a loading pin and weight plates, stone dummy.

:cool

For me, the squat, the deadlift, the overhead press are the essentials at building that lower and upper body strength. From than on, according to what is your goal, you adjust the other exercises.

I have to agree,squats,deads,press,has worked for me.

1. Fork lifts after a hard heavy training day.

2. Occasional beer glass/mug lifts to celebrate after competition.

:laugh Those 2 I never thought of.

The ones done at the Chinese buffet are especially effective, I've found.

Ah, chopstick lift you mean...

Ah, chopstick lift you mean...

I struggle with chopsticks most of the time,no chance after a grip workout,most of the food would go over my shoulder :whistel

Deadlifts can be left out. Most people do them wrong and wreck their bodies (me included!). Same thing with squats. There is no magic exercise. The squat IS really more of a back lift the way most people incorrectly perform the exercise.

One just needs a set of exercises that are safe, they can perform with proper form, that cover the full musculature. And, this includes balance as well...front and back of the body.

[/quote

All the posts are good...but very sound advice here :cool