What's The Grip Contest Axle Record?

Hubgeezer

There is a small contest in San Bernardino this Saturday, and the Axle is one of the events. What is the recognized record for Apollon's Axle in a grip contest? I was thinking it was Rich Williams at 501 lbs, but was not positive.

Odd Haugen is competing is why I ask, and that is something being targeted. The "record" has been a little loosey goosey in that it "began" with his pulling about 474 in a contest in 2006, and it has been bumped up a few times. I thought Rich cracked 500. Andrew had it for a bit as well.

If anyone knows, please post here. Thanks!

This will be interesting, as none of us competing are ready for a contest, but the date was set so long ago we are not changing it.

Mike Hubgeezer

I'd say the WR is as per Andrews comment. Although not a full grip competition it was an IM axle. My 476.19 was not done on an Axle but was done in a full grip event.

Please check your info Williams lift was done in a full grip contests with weighed "official implements, rules, judges, and witnesses. The head judge was an approved judge by the Handstrength assoc. Thanks,.RS

There is no actual association outside of the one here in the UK. Here we have paid up members, rules etc. The most up-to-date info on the US Hand Strength Association website is over one year old. While the flesh, as the saying goes, is willing in the US the rest has not been. Indeed Jedd brought this very point up in his most recent radio show. Most grip competitions (or those accepted as such) have 5 events. A few have less (such as the WSH series) which have 3. The USHSA requires 3 or more. It also lists Andrews 455lbs as the current record. It has one competition placing list and says 'results later...' then that's it. In other words such as it currently stands... it's dead in the water. It might be a recognized body if it becomes more active as was intended... but not today.

I know the implements were weighed (such numbers can be seen on the plates), I know the witnesses were good (never questioned them) and you did your best regarding the announcements etc. In fact I recall your post regarding wanting to make it as official as possible. What other events were contested as well as the axle?

Finally you'll note that in spite of the lack, for all the effort involved, I STILL agreed with Andrew that Rich Williams was best.

I have seen the video on the Sorinex channel. He got it quite easily, and then missed 511. It looked like there were other events, not just an Axle lift.

There was a consensus about 3 or 4 years ago, that records were to be in a contest with a minimum of 3 events. I can't quote it chapter and verse, but I am pretty sure that was what was agreed.

I got an email about an hour ago. Haugen had some type of medical procedure, is competing, but it is unlikely for any record to be set.

As I said earlier, the Axle has been a little "loosey goosey", but I think everyone recognizes Rich's 509.38 (which is what it was as it turns out) as the record. And, as I recall, it was a "brand new" A Axle, wasn't it?

Steve, Thankyou for your backround, views, and information. I was told(or led to believe) there were world, American, National rules and records but, perhaps grip is so loosely organized there is no real rules, associations or whatever. I would appreciate the views of Mr Lipinski a gentleman I directly went to try to do the best by any competitors rule and contest wise in an effort to have a valid chance in an organized competition. I also in good faith secured a "trusted" (although personally to that day not known to me) organizer, recorder and head judge that was neutral and respected by the grip community.If, in fact there is nothing I am bewildered for having gone to the trouble.

I would appreciate feedback from Jedd, Zack Coulter,Bob ,Chad or any that have their views to express as well if there is anything in the US or world that constitutes a grip organization or is it up to each and evey person or contest organizer by interpretation? Sadly, at times it seems to me steps taken to put grip on the map by putting time, money, and effort forth is wasted.RS

Richard, if you get the chance check out some of Jedd's more recent posts (this past week) on the very same subject. I saw Zach on the video appearing to ref and Zach is experienced and has refereed before. Most of the promoters are in the same category.

The main issue as I have addressed it before is one of no one willing to stand up and say 'me, I'll do it'. Both Bob and Jedd have seen seen as potential candidates. Jedd's other comments have been the falling off of base level competitors. In others words new blood.

Hub, the US Hand site state 3 events (I mention it above). Here on the GB, much argued over when I did my super match with Theo was the number of events (big contests, such as championships, MUST be 5 or more, others, as I mention, use 3 such as the recent WSH series) and (if I recall) at least 5 competitors. The issue of there not actually being an association remains. My understanding was the domain was brought and some papers rules of association/notarized was done. The site addresses those acting (5 names) and that's it. Nothing else since, I think, September 2009. A year.

There really isn't that much to running an association. Hell most of my work is early in the year. Decisions on rulings etc take me and David MINUTES and costs are minimal. There was a question of liability but so far no ones died :flame

Events contested at Sorinex Summer Strong 3 were IM Axle for max weight, 2" Vbar for max weight and a medley (various anvils, blobs, Inch replicas and MMS Grippers. Zach Coulture was head referee and loader for all events. Rich, Tex, myself, Steve Schmidt, Craig Call, Jason Thomas and a few others competed.

Events contested at Sorinex Summer Strong 3 were IM Axle for max weight, 2" Vbar for max weight and a medley (various anvils, blobs, Inch replicas and MMS Grippers. Zach Coulture was head referee and loader for all events. Rich, Tex, myself, Steve Schmidt, Craig Call, Jason Thomas and a few others competed.

Sounds like a "real" contest to me.

Something Mob said...5 competitors? Uh oh. There may only be 4 in this contest. Four has been the number that Robert (lonewolf) and I have said "if we can't get 4 we don't do it". Nothing official, just the principle of the thing.

Richard,

Rich Williams lift is recognized as the record. 500.38 lbs.

I have taken over the reigns as US Grip Sport Lead and am currently putting together sites full of pages of rules, lists, membership and contest criteria, etc.

I have a handful of people helping me out with this, coming along for the ride. They will not be identified as I don't want them pressured by people who could potentially sway them from their focus.

More news will come forth as things progress. If anyone is interested in catching up, please check out GripStrengthRadio.com/radio . This is where announcements will be made going forward. It is too hard to manage the sport, announcements, contests, through this forum.

Thanks,

Jedd

Something Mob said...5 competitors? Uh oh. There may only be 4 in this contest. Four has been the number that Robert (lonewolf) and I have said "if we can't get 4 we don't do it". Nothing official, just the principle of the thing.

The Sorinex Summer Strong was a valid contest, through and through in my opinion. Weights were weighed, equipment was all legit, and Zach is a damn good referee. The depth of the competitors was also outstanding.

Jedd

Richard, if you get the chance check out some of Jedd's more recent posts (this past week) on the very same subject. I saw Zach on the video appearing to ref and Zach is experienced and has refereed before. Most of the promoters are in the same category.

The main issue as I have addressed it before is one of no one willing to stand up and say 'me, I'll do it'. Both Bob and Jedd have seen seen as potential candidates. Jedd's other comments have been the falling off of base level competitors. In others words new blood.

Hub, the US Hand site state 3 events (I mention it above). Here on the GB, much argued over when I did my super match with Theo was the number of events (big contests, such as championships, MUST be 5 or more, others, as I mention, use 3 such as the recent WSH series) and (if I recall) at least 5 competitors. The issue of there not actually being an association remains. My understanding was the domain was brought and some papers rules of association/notarized was done. The site addresses those acting (5 names) and that's it. Nothing else since, I think, September 2009. A year.

There really isn't that much to running an association. Hell most of my work is early in the year. Decisions on rulings etc take me and David MINUTES and costs are minimal. There was a question of liability but so far no ones died :flame

Me. I'll do it. I now have the time.

Jedd

1) I've now said that the USHSA (for what that was worth) are cool with 3 three times. I said Zach was a good ref (BTW that's no where near how Zach's surname is spelled). Did you even read any of my replies? You say 4 competed but you listed more. 3 events has been discussed (a medley counts as one).

2) Jedd - get in. Good man.

Steve,

What does "Get in" mean? Sounds like some British slang or something I am not familiar with...?

It is. It's the same as 'yee haa' and the like and so it's supportive. It comes from Liverpool.

Edited by mobsterone

Hubgeezer,

If this is at Robert's contest, It's a go. He emailed me long ago to make sure his contest was sanctioned.

Jedd

Sorry to hear that Odd won't be at 100% it sounds like! I always like reading about big grip records being broken and this is one of the most impressive in my opinion. 400lbs DO on the Axle is a big deal to me. 500lbs+ is obscene...in a good way. Hope to hear it gets driven up higher and higher.

What are the mesurments on the axel, how thick are the axel?

What are the mesurments on the axel, how thick are the axel?

2 inches thick. he got 503lbs 2 inches above his knees. Hes definetlly good for it on a good day. Hes done 540lbs and ive seen him do 500lbs

Thanks for all the feedback guys.Jedd is a great asset to the sport and glad he is on board trying to work things out. Is the "official" axle the Ironmind or are others accepted? The problem is to get a true 2" axle unless the part where the weights fit is machined down barbell plates won't fit. The Ironmind axle is a full 2" and the end is machined back to about 1.90 .The REAL Apollons axle was actually 1.90 , I guess a simple, straight shaft inserted into the wheels. Whatever is used there has I think to be a uniform spec as to the bar... its weight size, and if it is knurled or revolving . The axle is simple but in the end the possibilities and end result is complex.We have quite a few bars here ranging from 1.90 to 2" some smooth some knurled some revolving .For the contest I was determined enough to provide the most accepted bar and bought a brand new Ironmind bar, nice if you can swing it but, what will others be able to do? Will a homemade bar suffice for a "record attempt? RS

It was the official ironmind axle. The same axle he brings to all of his strongman shows.

The axle is simple but in the end the possibilities and end result is complex.We have quite a few bars here ranging from 1.90 to 2" some smooth some knurled some revolving .For the contest I was determined enough to provide the most accepted bar and bought a brand new Ironmind bar, nice if you can swing it but, what will others be able to do? Will a homemade bar suffice for a "record attempt? RS

Richard, for the Rolling Thunder record, Randy has had specifications for that and tracked it forever. This AA Double Overhand is something developed by the "grip community", and that was done some time after 2006. The "official" record that the "grip community" recognizes is actually "unofficial". I passed on bringing my Axle and asked Odd to bring his because there is so much rust where the hands are placed on mine it is practically knurled. His was an IronMind Axle, and it was smooth. Your buying a brand new one was taking it "beyond reproach". But, I believe the consensus is that the record be on an IronMind axle. Many times guys have contests, officially recognized grip contests, call it "an Axle" (which it is regardless of the brand), but if someone pulled 525 on it, they probably would not be recognized as the new record holder unless it was made by IronMind. And, because IronMind is not setting the rules, one could argue that it is "unoffical".

Thanks for all the feedback guys.Jedd is a great asset to the sport and glad he is on board trying to work things out. Is the "official" axle the Ironmind or are others accepted? The problem is to get a true 2" axle unless the part where the weights fit is machined down barbell plates won't fit. The Ironmind axle is a full 2" and the end is machined back to about 1.90 .The REAL Apollons axle was actually 1.90 , I guess a simple, straight shaft inserted into the wheels. Whatever is used there has I think to be a uniform spec as to the bar... its weight size, and if it is knurled or revolving . The axle is simple but in the end the possibilities and end result is complex.We have quite a few bars here ranging from 1.90 to 2" some smooth some knurled some revolving .For the contest I was determined enough to provide the most accepted bar and bought a brand new Ironmind bar, nice if you can swing it but, what will others be able to do? Will a homemade bar suffice for a "record attempt? RS

Only IronMind axles are accepted for the official list.