Gripper Vs. Finger Curl

goeyj

Here is my problem. I ordered a few CoC grippers to start some grip training. The easiest I got was the Trainer. I can get within millimeters of closing the thing, but not quite all the way. Maybe I just need to look at my technique, but it's a matter of hand strength too.

Should I go ahead and get the sport or would it be possible to do finger curls to build up to working with the trainer? Obviously, I can do negatives, but I know that isn't recommended for beginners. BTW, I already have a barbell and weights so I can work the finger curls without buying anything.

Nah. I wouldn't bother getting another gripper. Just keep on working with the Trainer. Close it as far as you can, and then use your other hand to help assist it shut the rest of the way. In a short period of time you'll be crushing that thing without any problem at all.

I'm guessing by "finger curls" you actually meant wrist curls? Those probably aren't going to help you close grippers, but they're still an excellent addition to any hand/wrist/forearm workout. It would definitely be beneficial to start doing a set or two after your gripper workouts.

Best wishes to you.

I agree with IROC. Just work with the trainer the way he said and you'll be surprised how quickly you're able to close it. I still work grippers that same exact way and am almost closing my 3.5 so there's the proof that it works. It wouldn't hurt to add some finger curls in a couple times a week though.

Nah. I wouldn't bother getting another gripper. Just keep on working with the Trainer. Close it as far as you can, and then use your other hand to help assist it shut the rest of the way. In a short period of time you'll be crushing that thing without any problem at all.

I'm guessing by "finger curls" you actually meant wrist curls? Those probably aren't going to help you close grippers, but they're still an excellent addition to any hand/wrist/forearm workout. It would definitely be beneficial to start doing a set or two after your gripper workouts.

Best wishes to you.

do you not think wrist curls help closing grippers?? i mean they build strength in the forearms if you keep the reps down and weight up. i thought the bulk of the forearm down close to the elbow end is where the hand strength originates????

Wrist curls and finger curls are vastly different exercises. Both are good and will help you long term. I really think an all around program of forearm, wrist and hand exercises is the best beginner advice.

Thanks for all the responses so far!

I will continue to work with the trainer as advised above. I am also doing the "First Workout for Beginners" in David Horne's post which includes regular and reverse wrist curls, pinch grip, and finger curls.

That's a good workout, by David, there was just another guy looking for a beginers workout, I had forgoten all about it.

Rico

do you not think wrist curls help closing grippers?? i mean they build strength in the forearms if you keep the reps down and weight up. i thought the bulk of the forearm down close to the elbow end is where the hand strength originates????

I think wrist curls are an excellent movement, but I don't feel that they would have any real carryover to closing grippers.

Not sure about the "finger curl" thing. I've never heard of those. I'm guessing they're just talking about letting your hand open up and allowing the bar to roll down your fingers like some people do while wrist curling?

Thanks for all the responses so far!

I will continue to work with the trainer as advised above. I am also doing the "First Workout for Beginners" in David Horne's post which includes regular and reverse wrist curls, pinch grip, and finger curls.

Can't go far wrong following Mr. Horne's advice. I personally wouldn't concentrate much on grippers to start with. Try and build all round strength in your hand/lower arm before getting too specific. If grippers are your main goal, then sure focus them. However; putting the same effort into pinch or wrist curls would potentially reap much bigger rewards.

Also try and work in some thick bar & levering to your training. Both need little or no special equipment.

My focus is on wrist strength & hand control for judo & armwrestling - I rarely train grippers!