amaury

Which gripper do you master ?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which gripper do you master ?

• T
    • #4 (just kidding)

here we suppose that you master a gripper when you can:

-close it inverted and close it with three fingers

This definition can be discussed, so please don't hesitate to post your comments.

Thanks,

Amaury.

Edited by amaury

Mastering a gripper is being able to close it every day - no matter what -- multiple times and with either hand. The normal way of closing by the way.

I doubt there are too many COC's that can do this with a #3.

My 2 cents.

I definitely agree with Wannagrip regarding the every day closure, barring injuries or illness. I define it with one more important point: being able to close that gripper without a warmup. That might be a little extreme for something as tough as the #3, but when you can close a gripper right out of the bag, cold, then you have more than mastered it! One of my biggest goals was to be able to close the #2 gripper any day of the week, with either hand, and for multiple reps, on demand. I was thrilled to be able to accomplish this after about a year of hard training. Someday I'd like to be able to do the same with the #3.

Ben Edwards

I can close the #3 any time I want.The first time I did 10 reps on it,it was the day after my normal grip workout without a warm up also!

:bow "GOD IS THE REAL POWER" Tommy.......

I have mastery over the #2. I closed it first time out of the bag, and can close it left and right handed. Also with 2 or 3 fingers or inverted. I can close the 3 but not consistently. I am getting better on this. I seem to do better with the #4 than the 3 as I am able to keep closing it little by liitle where normaly I can can go no further. With the 3 once it stops closing that's it. My best feat was to close a 2 with the left and a 3 with the right. I hope I am not invoking rule 5. I will shut up now.

:happy

Very impressive OldGuy. I'm most impressed by the 2 finger close of the #2. I can do the 3 finger close, but the 2 finger close still eludes me. But I'm hunting it, and I'm patient.

Ben Edwards

Edited by bencrush

I'm wondering who cast the 2nd vote for the #3. I assume Tommy is one. Wannagrip perhaps? Just being nosy. And jealous! :D

Ben Edwards

I was shocked to find in my own training that I had not "mastered" the #1 yet when I tried strap holds. I think the ability to close the gripper with the arm in various positions should be something to look at as well.

Jon@han

I can close the #2 all day long, with either hand, for multiple reps, with 2 fingers, and with over 20 pounds hanging on a strap hold.

I can close the #3 for 2 reps, can reach 10-12 singles and hold in a workout, hold it closed over 20 seconds and can do it with 3 fingers. However, I can't close it with my left hand. 3/8 missing.

I do not like high reps, and have not done more than 6 even with a #1. As my hands are large, I do not have enough room for the little finger and it barely gets used enough to contribute to a closing.

Guest Mikael Siversson

I just tried a double close with two #3's. Got it righty but missed it lefty by 3 mm. Not that close really. I do think, however I have a good chance of getting a double close this year. I may try it again at the next Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge with a camera in hand just in case. I suppose my best feat is that I am able to close a #3 every day with both hands.

Since the list was of COCs-I voted for the #2. I can, however, close my PDA 387 any time I want now-as well as close it in both hands without setting it and use it for strap holds.

The spring size in this gripper is identical to my #3.

Rick Walker :rock

Edited by Rick Walker

My 2 cents on the subject of gripper mastery is this...You can use a gripper for strapholds, and be able to close the gripper when not just specializing in crushing type training.

My 2 cents on the subject of gripper mastery is this...You can use a gripper for strapholds, and be able to close the gripper when not just specializing in crushing type training.

So, with either hand?

How many can close a 3 either hand, any day, multiple times, starting cold, while not specializing in the crush?

Now they have mastered the 3 IMO.

Same applies to other gripper levels.

It's a tricky word, "mastering"... because my strength curve varies a lot depending on my training. If I said I could master a #3 (according to how that word applies), I would be lying. Also factor in that grippers vary a lot; I just tried a #3 that someone sent to me not too long ago and it was the toughest #3 I've ever tried, and I told him so. No, I couldn't close it, unfortunetly. :(

Sybersnott-

I know how you feel but I had the reverse experience. My I could barely close my #2, never consistantly, and the first time I tried someone elses #2 I slammed it no problem. There can be big differences.

-HH

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I can close my #3 at any time for at least 3 with my right hand . Left hand I can also do any time but just for 1. I was getting 2-3 with it also but Have had some elbow problems on my left and it hurts bad when I do grippers.

One of my latest goals was to close my #2 for 5 reps during am and pm workouts. With one exception, I have been doing this for two weeks. Hold on, I haven't done grippers in 4 days, let me try now...

YIKES! Cold, no warmup....

14 reps righty, 15 lefty!!! PR's for both hands!!! "I feel good, da na na na na na...."

Alan Two-Smoker!!

My #2 is very tough, so my results are a little skewed. I'm closing my #3 righty every workout and believe 2 or 3 reps to be right around the corner, but closing my#2 with the filed handle is something I manage lefty only 10% of the time. Oddly enough though, I'm able to close the #2 inverted, lefty, easier than normal style. But righty, I've relatively no inverted strength :blink To further confuse, my left is the better pincher and holder. You mean I only master the #1? :angry: That's a goofy notion too, as I've done 50 reps with it lefty long before I was even closing the #2, righty. Confused yet? Me too. :stuart

That left/right pb is something that bothers me too: i can now do up to 4reps with my right hand on the #2 and still can't close it with my left hand ! I can also pinch much more (15lbs) with my right hand than with my left hand. Though i train them similarly !! so w## the f### ? :angry

BTW i voted for the #1 in my poll but i was wrong : i can't close the #1 inverted lefty :blush I don't own a Trainer (some friends do) but i think i would master it, well i hope so at least :blush

AnimalCage,

Do you really think you've discovered something? :blink

Actually, that's what happened to me when I went to certify. I put in three hard grip workouts followed by three days of pure rest (no grip training). On the end of third day of rest, I walked into the gym not knowing what to expect. That #3 felt like a #1 on that day. I was on an upswing strength-wise, and on that day, I whupped my #3!!! :tongue:laugh

John,

I know you are the Reverend of Rest, the Minister of Moderation, the Preacher of Prudence (in grip training). I hear you, and truth be told, I was due for a few days off.