Bbb Cancelled

John Beatty

Guys, since we're between two majors & have only one entry, I'm cancelling. I may move it to spring, or wait till next fall. We'll see. Sorry, but 3 entries with 2 being me & Jerry does not make a contest. My sole entry will be refunded. Thanks-

John

Grip Contest participation is down across the board. I wish I knew why. Anybody have any suggestions what we as promoters need to doin order to get more people to travel to the events? There are a lot of people who used to compete regularly who don't travel much anymore, so I am wondering if something has left a bad taste in their mouth or something. I'm interested in hearing feedback. If you don't want to publicize it, you can PM me or email me through the board, but I'd love to know what everyone is thinking.

Jedd

For me anyways my appetite was whetted from coming down to the states this spring and competing. I'd like to try and come down for at least 2 comps next year but I need to plan for them a fair ways out and with most being on the eastern seaboard it's a fair jaunt.

Problems:

1) tougher economy

2) World of Grip Super Series - this is a great event and I think it will bring new people to grip. However, guys and gals can stay closer to home and still compete against everyone. Personally, I like to be in the same room with my competition and feed off everyone's energy.

3) intimidation - beginners don't like to be beatdown.

Things we can do:

1) offer a % of the entry fee in the prize package (1st, 2nd, 3rd or $$$ to winner of individual events). If guys can win there money back and pay for gas/flight, that helps a lot.

2) What about combining grip comps with other established sporting events, i.e. highland games, strongman, powerlifting, conventions, etc. It is already happening and if there is more going on, I think more will come. We are already a multifaceted crowd.

3) Divisions - if we wish to grow, I think we need to establish a ranking system outside of debating on the gripboard. Likewise, have A, B and C level events/lifts similar to NAS and strongman. Give people a way to move up the ranks. Have certified judges that are able to personally certify a lift around the globe.

Just my thoughts.

Problems:

1) tougher economy

2) World of Grip Super Series - this is a great event and I think it will bring new people to grip. However, guys and gals can stay closer to home and still compete against everyone. Personally, I like to be in the same room with my competition and feed off everyone's energy.

3) intimidation - beginners don't like to be beatdown.

Things we can do:

1) offer a % of the entry fee in the prize package (1st, 2nd, 3rd or $$$ to winner of individual events). If guys can win there money back and pay for gas/flight, that helps a lot.

I like it but the problem is the top guys are already showing up - and of course they would be getting the money. We need new people to come and in general - they will not be top guys. Also at present - I think most promoters are going in the hole - giving away money might not be possible.

2) What about combining grip comps with other established sporting events, i.e. highland games, strongman, powerlifting, conventions, etc. It is already happening and if there is more going on, I think more will come. We are already a multifaceted crowd.

I like the idea but most Highland Games, Strongman comps etc are already so long and tiring - I can't imagine adding any substantial grip competition on the end of them.

3) Divisions - if we wish to grow, I think we need to establish a ranking system outside of debating on the gripboard. Likewise, have A, B and C level events/lifts similar to NAS and strongman. Give people a way to move up the ranks. Have certified judges that are able to personally certify a lift around the globe.

Some kind of organizing body is simply necessary, even if it's a paper entity - I think we have proven that the competition side of grip is not compatible with a forum used as a - what is it used for anyway as regards to comps - besides arguing about everything? I think the "levels" concept is a really good one - knowing full well you can't even lift half the stuff in a Medley setting and that you will not only get beat but beaten badly does not bring new people in to a grip competition. I know I'll sound like my normal self here but a couple class divisions might help. Gripmas has Open - Lightweight - and Ladies. Now will that bring more people - I don't know. Open - Novice - Ladies might be just as good. I tried offering a Novice clas at Gripmas with zero interest, One open class isn't working for us and will only get worse I think with things like Mighty Mitts etc bringing even bigger - perhaps stronger men into the sport. Andrew's "feeder" system of A - B - C levels etc certainly has merit. We may be in a chicken or the egg scenario here. We don't have enough interest for multiple classes - or do we not have enough interest because we don't have multiple classes? Beats me? The Grip Certs thing Paul is setting up might fulfill the ability to internet judge qualifying feats of Grip Strength to help determine qualifying levels.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by climber511

I also think the levels (like A, B, and C) would help bring more into the grip comps. May be the case as Chris mentioned about do we really have enough people to do it, and if not - is it because we don't have more categories. I know most of the strongman comps and Highland Games events are already pretty long. But tacking on a grip contest on the end would draw more people even though it might be counterintuitive at first glance. Plus it would draw some of the onlookers because they might think they'd have a better chance of doing well on the grip stuff than the guys who just finished doing the competition (Highland Games/strongman, whatever) and THEN trying to do the grip contest.

The few guys who still talk about grip contests with me are torn. They like the fact that grip is getting a lot more coverage (Mighty Mitts and WSH, etc) lately but they feel like they're being driven into the shadows because they aren't strong enough to even be noticed in contests like that. That's why different classes/categories would be good. Not everyone wants to necessarily WIN their category, but nobody wants to feel like they have no shot at winning or even being near the top.

Determining the categories might be tricky. C class could be your first contest. B might be any number of contests with a placing over halfway (like 6th out of 11 competitors) up the number of competitors in any contest. A could be winning or placing 2nd or 3rd in a contest with at least 10 competitors. None of those are really what I'm recommending, just making some examples. There could also be the slight possibility of guys "sandbagging" to improve their placings in contests by gaining entry into the lower categories just to increase their chances of placing higher.

I want to compete and put the smackdown :upsidedwn on all you guys but for some reason I can't seam to stop injuring myself, lol

Here you go: Looking for reactions...

http://gripstrengthradio.com/radio/

Been meaning to make this announcement for a while. Was going to wait until I had a few other things taken care of, but now seems like as good a time as any to get it out there.

Please listen to this show. I will hold a follow-up show to that one tomorrow night (September 24, 2010) at 9 PM EST. Call me at 607-857-6997 if you have anything you'd like to say.

Jedd

New show is up! Use the link in the post above to listen to the show.

For an advancement class thing, if you want an A, B, C thing, I'd say A is Novice. A win at Novice moves you to "B". Two wins at "B" or Advanced, will move you to "Pro" or "C". At that system, I'd be a "B" level competitor, which given my usual training system (go like heck for 2-3 weeks a year before the BBB) seems reaonable. Would be easy enough to prove where existing competitors stand in that system and assign current competitors to their class. Promoters who chose to do so could use the ranking system, or hold a "Pro-Am" just like in Strongman. Pro-ams would work well for smaller meets that had lower attendance.

I see promotion/recruitment as the toughest obstacle for us as a sport. We need comps held in public places. Gyms & bars - bars would be an excellent place to recruit new competitors. Existing power sports probably won't recruit many guys. It may make a few folks aware of the sport, but rarely will a competitor just finishing a full meet stick around to do another meet. My usual first thought is food. And then the drive home. Unless the show's running concurrently with a strongman meet at a festival or such would be good, if the meet is going sow, spectators will wander back & forth.

I want to compete and put the smackdown :upsidedwn on all you guys but for some reason I can't seam to stop injuring myself, lol

I think your only chance is to completely enclose yourself in a padded suit - then stay in bed - about everything else seems to injure you somehow :whacked :whacked

Guys, since we're between two majors & have only one entry, I'm cancelling. I may move it to spring, or wait till next fall. We'll see. Sorry, but 3 entries with 2 being me & Jerry does not make a contest. My sole entry will be refunded. Thanks-

John

This sucks ! I could of been in the top 3 I have never been in the top 3 before:) Ok all kidding aside I agree with all the posts that we as grip guys need to be seen as a sport.We all need to get together and figure out how to get in the light. I talk about the sport all the time at work with guys and they have never heard of grip sports let alone the have contests for this sort of thing. So if John and I ever get to sit down in person to get things goings we will talk to see what we can do to get the sport out there.

Jerry Donaldson

• 4 weeks later...

I feel the reason people don't enter grip contests is because they are inconsistant. There is at least one strongman comp every week, with grip comps one may pop up randomly throughout a month or so. I would have loved to compete in this contest, but I didn't know it was happening.

A few ways we can get it into light:

More websites and blogs

More videos on YouTube talking about the Sport

More articles about the sport

More submissions to Facebook / Twitter and other social networks

There are plenty of other things.

As far as my past efforts, I send out newsletters from my website ALL THE TIME about grip contests, and not just the ones I promote. I cover just about the entire country. Sign up for the Grip Strength Newsletter at DieselCrew.com and you will stay updated.

Also, in case you haven't seen the above posts, I am starting the organization. Worked on the pages more today, in fact. I also cover updates at GripStrengthRadio.com

Jedd