Thick Bar Vs. Crush

Malice

I've heard a lot about the negative effect training thick bar has on grippers. For those who have experienced this, did it actually make your gripper strength go down or just slow down your progress with grippers? The reason I'm asking is cuz right now I'm focusing on getting my gripper strength up as much as possible in prep for my CoC 3 cert attempt in 2 months but I'm also only 8 lbs. away from reaching my goal of pulling 175 lbs. on RT this year. If working RT is going to have that much of a negative effect on my grippers I'll put it on hold until after the cert attempt and hit it hard then. I haven't been consistent enough working with RT to tell if it had any effect on my crush strength or not.

I've heard a lot about the negative effect training thick bar has on grippers. For those who have experienced this, did it actually make your gripper strength go down or just slow down your progress with grippers? The reason I'm asking is cuz right now I'm focusing on getting my gripper strength up as much as possible in prep for my CoC 3 cert attempt in 2 months but I'm also only 8 lbs. away from reaching my goal of pulling 175 lbs. on RT this year. If working RT is going to have that much of a negative effect on my grippers I'll put it on hold until after the cert attempt and hit it hard then. I haven't been consistent enough working with RT to tell if it had any effect on my crush strength or not.

Thick bar work kills my grippers in the short run. However in the long run I've seen strength increases in the thickbar have decent carry over to grippers. Just not during the same training weeks.

- Aaron

Thick bar work kills my grippers in the short run. However in the long run I've seen strength increases in the thickbar have decent carry over to grippers. Just not during the same training weeks.

- Aaron

x2

Everything kills everything else in the short run. When my deadlift is climbing, my squat is not and vise versa.

Put the thick bar on maintenance until the CoC#3 cert and then switch to a thick bar emphasis and grippers on maintenance. Enter 2011 stronger than 2010.

Everything kills everything else in the short run. When my deadlift is climbing, my squat is not and vise versa.

Put the thick bar on maintenance until the CoC#3 cert and then switch to a thick bar emphasis and grippers on maintenance. Enter 2011 stronger than 2010.

Great way to put things, there :rock

Before I post a new thread I'll piggy back a bit off this one...

I'm curious if the same can be said for climbing and grippers. I've been trying to do gripper workouts either right after a climbing session or on a day that I should be climbing. That way I still get rest days. I feel my climbing might be suffering and my gripper progress is slow. (I know I've only been at grippers for a month but I guess I expect more of myself.)

Could the aerobic trained muscles from climbing be hindered by heavy grippers? I started as a #2 gripper starter and still am. I've just been experiencing more forearm pump while climbing and it seems I need more rest than usual between workouts.

It's about rest. There's several different hand/wrist exercises. Crush, pinch, supporting/cupping, rising, spinning, etc. All in that small area.

- Aaron

x2

x3

Before I post a new thread I'll piggy back a bit off this one...

I'm curious if the same can be said for climbing and grippers. I've been trying to do gripper workouts either right after a climbing session or on a day that I should be climbing. That way I still get rest days. I feel my climbing might be suffering and my gripper progress is slow. (I know I've only been at grippers for a month but I guess I expect more of myself.)

Could the aerobic trained muscles from climbing be hindered by heavy grippers? I started as a #2 gripper starter and still am. I've just been experiencing more forearm pump while climbing and it seems I need more rest than usual between workouts.

What's good bro, read your post. First try doing a few sets of grippers after climbing and see how you do. Then follow that with a rest day. Judge your hands response. Also see if having 1 day of climbing, rest then 1 day of grippers then rest type of program works. What's working with me now, is resting a day in between on grip stuff. Either way, good luck...hope I helped n stay strong :rock

- Aaron

x2

x3

x4. :)

For several months I just trained fat bar + grippers with good increases in both events.

For test purposes I stopped the far bar to see if my crush increases faster then:

Nope, it just stopped.

However, it will take some time to adapt to the training.