5 10 Lb Plate Pinch Vs Blob

Eric Roussin

Is a one hand pinch of 5 10 lb plates considered a decent accomplishment if there is a bar through them to keep them together? Is being able to do this lift anything close to being able to lift a 50 lb blob?

• Like 1

Is a one hand pinch of 5 10 lb plates considered a decent accomplishment if there is a bar through them to keep them together? Is being able to do this lift anything close to being able to lift a 50 lb blob?

i would imagine that anyone who can pinch 50 lbs (connected or not)has a savage grip!! some say the blob is awkward because of the convex sides on it. where as the dimes are flat sided.

• Like 1

There is no way to compare 5-10s to the Blob. Some people find 5-10s easier and others find the Blob easier. If you are doing 5-10s with a bar - you are getting close to doing it without it so just keep working it and you'll be ready for both feats very soon. The plates you are using also can make a difference - some are better than others - try chalking them a little on both sides - it helps.

At what width is most people's pinch strength strongest? With minimal pinch training I can lift 5 10 lb plates plus 5 lbs added to the bar. However, pinching a single 50 lb standard plate can be difficult for me. I seem to be strongest when the width is about 4 to 4.5 inches. Is this typical? I'm an armwrestler and have done a lot of open hand and wrist work over the years (e.g. Rolling Thunder), but little crushing or pinching.

Eric - I don't think there is a "normal" width where people are stronger. I think it's a factor of your work, work outs, and experiences. You have done more wide than narrow so you are best there right now - things should even out a lot as you train things with different widths.

For me the BLOB is much harder. I didn't have to do any training to lift 5 10's L & R. The BLOB I can't even budge. I'm in the process of making a deloader so maybe that will change.

Try working with a smaller circumference pipe to get the 5 dimes unsupported.

At what width is most people's pinch strength strongest? With minimal pinch training I can lift 5 10 lb plates plus 5 lbs added to the bar. However, pinching a single 50 lb standard plate can be difficult for me. I seem to be strongest when the width is about 4 to 4.5 inches. Is this typical? I'm an armwrestler and have done a lot of open hand and wrist work over the years (e.g. Rolling Thunder), but little crushing or pinching.

Pinching five dimes with a pipe is WAY easier than pinching them loose.

Without a pipe, it comes down to the plates themselves. Some fit together well and have good texture, some flare and slide on each other, some are wide, some are skinny, etc. No real way to compare them until you've tried it for yourself. My tens are wide and slide on each other easily, and I still don't think they are quite as hard as the Blob.

For me the BLOB is much harder. I didn't have to do any training to lift 5 10's L & R. The BLOB I can't even budge. I'm in the process of making a deloader so maybe that will change.

your so close to getting the blob if you get five tens it wont be long dont worry about lifting it just keep doing static reps with it and it will come up http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/isometric-exercises.html