Shot Rotation

Jonathan McMillan

I just tried it today for the first time with two six pounders. I can barely do it with my left but my right hand needs a little cheating help with my left. Fun stuff..but I think I have to invest in some steel toe boots now :blush

Jon@han

I don't have shots. I did fill 3 tennis balls with pennies and have been rotating these. I have increased finger dexterity greatly and I can feel it burn in my hands. I want to get some big bearings next.

Where did you get the shots?

-HH

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Jonathan, How big are your shots ? I also did the tennis ball trick. I later found that if I cut them in half, and fill them full of CARBIDE( Cutting tool used for turning and milling steels)then duct tape them together, I got them up to 1.2 lbs. I have some 2.5" solid balls orderd. They are just a bit over 2.5 lbs. I love this exercise ! Yesterday I did my tennis balls 2 sets of 5 min each hand,palm up.I then took a set of 1.5" and did 1 set of 15 min palm down. Great hand workout !

I live in Ontario so I ordered them from a local company:

www.marchants.com

They provide athletic equipment to schools etc. I got some chalk cheap from them as well.

My shots are 6lbs each and about the size of grapefruits..sorry don't know the dimensions.

I'd like to get some bearings too for the overhand rotations.

Jon@han

Guest mikebyoung

After reading John Brookfield's new book, I'd also like to try the shot rotation and the ball bearings. I fear I may be sacrificing some flexibility in my hands due to the heavier training that I am now doing.

Went in search of ball bearings to start with the other day with no luck. I found a few places that sold the Chinese meditation balls, but they seem a bit too light and even worse...they chime when you move them. I know some wouldnt mind the chiming, maybe someone finds this relaxing, but I know it would annoy they hell out of me.

Anyone here have any luck finding the right size ball bearings? I know Ironmind sells them, but I was hoping to find a place where i could pick up a variety of size bearings fairly cheaply.

An auto-parts store, a machine shop?

If I have any luck, I'll post again.

Thanks,

Mike

(why am I still a grip-board newbie??)

Mike,

The larger sized chineese health balls are plenty for me in the palms down style of rotating, but I would like to get some large ball bearings to eventually work up to in the palm down style. I still can't do three palm down yet either, have managed a slow grinding rotation in the handshake position with three.

Shots are too heavy for me to imagine doing in the palm down style, but palm up I can now rotate them 10 times in either hand.

Jon@han

I've been playing with the smaller dex-balls, and love it. It has given me an awareness of my last two fingers. Now, when playing with blobs or pinching, i am more aware of those fingers and can noticable grip harder and pull more weight easier.

I also went and bought two raquetballs, sliced, filled with pennies, and glued. OUTSTANDING Excercise!!! I can't wait to find some larger bearings or shots. Brookfield is obviously on to something.

To go along with the excercise in the book, I do a few more.

Figure 8: Rotate one ball around the other two, in a figure-eight pattern. It's amusing.

Weave: Weave three balls in and out of eachother. It just looks cool.

Roll one around two, trying to keep the two in the middle still as the third is in orbit. Fun.

Yup.

Thanks for posting the different ball patterns Bender! I'll have to give them a try when I get home from work...are you doing them palm up or palm down? If it's palm down you got some wicked dexterity!!

Jon@han