Gripper Update

Cannon

I am ready for the MM1. My confidence is pretty high right now.

My attempts at the 164# Elite have been paper thin misses. But today was the day! As usual, I was in the car, but at a stop light. :whacked It seemed like the usual very-very-very near miss, but I reached for a little more and it was there! I felt the handles touch. Which is something that my recent training has afforded me---Teemu has talked about the "razor's edge" and I've never really experienced what he meant. But lately I have the feeling that I can just squeeze harder. There's always a little more. My crush is on right now.

But I have to say that this is not even the most exciting part of the workout! I also took 3 attempts at my MM1 replica. All three were such solid closes that a second rep seemed feasible. But the first attempt---holy cow! I closed it and then ripped the handles across each other! I don't want to discount the difficulty of the real MM1. It really ramps up at the end and there's always the issue of being "on" the day of the cert. :unsure

So, I'll do workouts this week and then try to get a video next weekend of the Elite close. Maybe I can finally send that 164# Elite back to my friend Greg if I can get a close on video. (I've only had it about 2 years or something.) :tongue If the MM1 comes up, I can fit it in on pretty short notice and feel pretty confident.

Honestly, the biggest change I've made to my workouts was based on a comment that Wade made somewhere. He said that he does grip workouts more often hoping to catch an "on" day. This has worked well for me. I pick up the grippers almost every day and based on how my hands feel I either go for a PR, or trash them with a tough workout, or just grease the groove. Pretty much any time, if I take 2 or 3 days rest, the next workout is a PR workout. It's working well. :shifty

It's fun to report progress! :rock

Awesome job Matt! I hope you get your crack at the MM1 soon :). I've found, for myself anyway, that more frequent training sessions work better as well. I usually work grippers 4 days a week and get great results with it. I also grease the groove with a light gripper on my off days and I don't know if it really helps or not but it definitely hasn't hurt anything so I keep doing it. I'm looking forward to the vid brother!

I am ready for the MM1. My confidence is pretty high right now.

My attempts at the 164# Elite have been paper thin misses. But today was the day! As usual, I was in the car, but at a stop light. :whacked It seemed like the usual very-very-very near miss, but I reached for a little more and it was there! I felt the handles touch. Which is something that my recent training has afforded me---Teemu has talked about the "razor's edge" and I've never really experienced what he meant. But lately I have the feeling that I can just squeeze harder. There's always a little more. My crush is on right now.

But I have to say that this is not even the most exciting part of the workout! I also took 3 attempts at my MM1 replica. All three were such solid closes that a second rep seemed feasible. But the first attempt---holy cow! I closed it and then ripped the handles across each other! I don't want to discount the difficulty of the real MM1. It really ramps up at the end and there's always the issue of being "on" the day of the cert. :unsure

So, I'll do workouts this week and then try to get a video next weekend of the Elite close. Maybe I can finally send that 164# Elite back to my friend Greg if I can get a close on video. (I've only had it about 2 years or something.) :tongue If the MM1 comes up, I can fit it in on pretty short notice and feel pretty confident.

Honestly, the biggest change I've made to my workouts was based on a comment that Wade made somewhere. He said that he does grip workouts more often hoping to catch an "on" day. This has worked well for me. I pick up the grippers almost every day and based on how my hands feel I either go for a PR, or trash them with a tough workout, or just grease the groove. Pretty much any time, if I take 2 or 3 days rest, the next workout is a PR workout. It's working well. :shifty

It's fun to report progress! :rock

Great pr's on the mm1 replica and elite...now on to the MM1 :rock

This is great to hear, Matt. I'm rooting for you to absolutely destroy the MM1! :rock

Thanks guys!

My last attempt at the MM1 was pretty darn close and I'm positive that I am stronger and more consistent now.

gallery_9552_555_7197.jpg

That was very very close did taking the picture effect your close.

No, that is a still shot that I pulled from the video.

This is great to hear, Matt. I'm rooting for you to absolutely destroy the MM1! :rock

Ideally, I would like to get the same knurling pop to ensure there is no question the handles touched. :devil

Thanks guys!

My last attempt at the MM1 was pretty darn close and I'm positive that I am stronger and more consistent now.

Looking strong there :cool

Thanks guys!

Not strong enough last time, though. As you can see....NOT CLOSED!

Thanks guys!

Not strong enough last time, though. As you can see....NOT CLOSED!

I think if you put a paper between handles, it just hang there ;). Nice job!

Nice job Matt, well done on the Elite.

Keep training hard and get your revenge on the MM1.

I can tell you it'll be sweet. :)

Looking real strong Matt! You've fought long and hard for that kind of strength man. Very happy for you! CRUSH THE MM1!

Really nice work Matt.

Get 'er! :)

Here is an MM1 Replica close with a nice hold and a BBE close from today! :)

I bumped the table during the BBE close, unfortunately, but was still able to get some shots of a close.

Awesome closes Matt :mosher That BBE close is :bow

How old is that MM1 replica? I ask cuz mine just has one handle marked with M1.

Awesome closes Matt :mosher That BBE close is :bow

How old is that MM1 replica? I ask cuz mine just has one handle marked with M1.

Thanks buddy!

The MM replica is probably 2ish years old. Maybe 3. Mine was a special order and I asked for the handles to be stamped that way. :)

Is the Elite close a higher calibrated close than your previous best? Great work!

That Elite is my current PR. It's 164# as written on the handle. Eric Milfeld did that particular calibration. I first closed it on Monday and now got a video today Prior to that my best was the MM1 replica.