Phone Book Tearing

Benedikt Farsmann

How many pages was that? I'm on my wives iPad right now and it isn't clear enough to make out that page number. The biggest I've seen is a video of Paul Knight doing 1800 or so pages. I have no idea what the world record is but anything more than that is bordering on super huuman...lol.

I myself have only managed just over 500 pages and was stumped on 1400.

I tore a seattle phone book in half but it took me like 7 minutes total kicked my a.....ss I dont know the total pages but it measured on the side of the book 4 1/2"

I tore a seattle phone book in half but it took me like 7 minutes total kicked my a.....ss I dont know the total pages but it measured on the side of the book 4 1/2"

That's pretty darn thick :yikes Good job brother!!

The biggest I regularly do is 1400 pages and I've done a St louis that I believe was 1700 or 1800 pages but I'm by no means good at it.

One thing I've noticed too is that different brands vary as well. To me, AT&T phonebooks are much harder than the Yellowbook phonebooks. I can do a St Louis yellowbook much easier than an AT&T. Also, they vary by year; I have both 2009 and 2010 AT&T St Louis phone books and there's about 100 pages less in the newer one.

You guys experience this?

Tim

One thing I've noticed too is that different brands vary as well. To me, AT&T phonebooks are much harder than the Yellowbook phonebooks. I can do a St Louis yellowbook much easier than an AT&T. Also, they vary by year; I have both 2009 and 2010 AT&T St Louis phone books and there's about 100 pages less in the newer one.

You guys experience this?

Tim

Yep, I think the economy has had an effect on the amount of businesses around. The Western Australia A-K was 1552 pages in 2009 and had two cardboard inserts, so effectively 4 covers (this is the biggest phonebook I have done GnR style). In 2010 it's 1424 pages and the L-Z is even thinner again, that's lost about 1/2 an inch.

The book in the video is 1691 pages thick and not 3200 as claimed. It's on the page he shows.

I use a lot of Argos catalogs for my shows (a kind of mail order type showroom/distributor). These, in spite of the economy, grow a little every year and the current issue is 1840 pages thick. But I use the break-back style as I have never quite got the knack for 'proper' way.

Last year at a charity event (Meningitis Awareness)I did 5 in a little under 1 min 20 seconds (1.17 I think).

As per grip cert it's an issue of thickness (hand size), paper quality (yellow pages are thin and low grade) and inserts) as well as page numbers. So they require clear info on all these aspects. It also makes sense for comparative purposes. They and thus you should also be able to show the item is new and un-tampered with (so some books come in cellophane wrappers and these should be removed on camera).

Edited by mobsterone

Why does the video title say 3200 when he shows 1691 as a nod to honesty? And why did Klesen not bother looking?? :whacked

Ok guys, but the guy on the first film used the 'popping technique', creating a little space between the pages and then tearing,

which makes phonebooktearing quit easy when you've practised the technique a little bit. I impressed a few guys on my work with it

and am not making them wiser as they are :tongue , but for most big guys here on the board like steve above, tearing a phonebook means just ripping it with brute force which is of course a much more bigger and better feat then the guy shows on the first film, anyone with a decent strength level can do wat he does. Thus, if that guy thinks he that strong, he's just fooling himself.

Edited by Geralt

4 1/2 inches is crazy thick for a phonebook.

Guest Bullitt

Paul Knight has done some really big Grip & Rip tears. I think Aaron has too. Paul's are documented on the Gripcerts web page.

The popping technique is no big deal. It can be hard on some really thick books, butg Grip & Rip is really impressive. I've done the Baltimore book, which was about 3.5" at the time I think popping them (and I suck at it). Hell, my wife has done 500+ page phonebooks with the popping technique. Here's one I taped her doing tonight. I borrowed it from the lobby of one of the offices in Downtown DC I visit. :whistel It's 382 pages. NW D.C. Yellowbook.

This isn't the thickest I've done, but I think it was my phonebook tear on video.

Edited by nockowt1