Good "gripper" Programs?

Zipzap

So I've started grip training, and I love it. I can close the #1 for ~11 reps (12 on a really good day) on my right hand, and only 1 (maybe 2 if I'm being generous) time on my left hand. Unfortunately, I seem to have hit a bit of a wall after ~2-3 weeks. In other words, I can't seem to go beyond this. I've been doing the program on Iron Mind's website (1-2 warm-up 10-rep sets, 1-3 max. rep sets, move up a level if you hit 15 reps on the first set) with good success so far, but it's possible that I may need something more. If this helps, I warm up with a plastic 90 pound gripper and then the Trainer.

In short, what programs do you guys recommend that have helped you increased your gripper strength?

So I've started grip training, and I love it. I can close the #1 for ~11 reps (12 on a really good day) on my right hand, and only 1 (maybe 2 if I'm being generous) time on my left hand. Unfortunately, I seem to have hit a bit of a wall after ~2-3 weeks. In other words, I can't seem to go beyond this. I've been doing the program on Iron Mind's website (1-2 warm-up 10-rep sets, 1-3 max. rep sets, move up a level if you hit 15 reps on the first set) with good success so far, but it's possible that I may need something more. If this helps, I warm up with a plastic 90 pound gripper and then the Trainer.

In short, what programs do you guys recommend that have helped you increased your gripper strength?

You found a 90 pound plastic gripper? For a beginner like yourself maybe look into a routine like RRBT which helps prepare you for harder routines and it helps you with your credit card closing set. That's just my opinion as a beginner almost everything works for gains. Also ironmind is not the best reference to use on training.

You found a 90 pound plastic gripper? For a beginner like yourself maybe look into a routine like RRBT which helps prepare you for harder routines and it helps you with your credit card closing set. That's just my opinion as a beginner almost everything works for gains. Also ironmind is not the best reference to use on training.

Yeah, I found a 90 pound plastic gripper. But like I said, I'm using only to warm up my hands.

Also, what is RRBT (the full thing), and can you link me to it?

You started 2-3 weeks ago and are stuck??? This is not stuck, you seem to be progessing rather well. Just start to experiment with differnt training methods - negatives, BTR, etc. When I first started, I progressed up to #2 by simply repping #1. It's easy when you start.

http://cyberpump.com/rrbt/

That is the link to it, by the way all good routines cost some money and all sales help support the gripboard. At the moment anything should work though. As for routines I think they Edgin Has written some articles google him.

They Edgin, that's the name? =S

Also, I'm going to consider trying overcrushes with the #1 for both hands, and doing GTG work with them (i.e. bust out a few reps during various parts of the day).

His name is Clay Edgin, I mispelled it before by accident. For the Overcrushes you may want to file it down little by little as you progress as stated earlier.

His name is Clay Edgin, I mispelled it before by accident. For the Overcrushes you may want to file it down little by little as you progress as stated earlier.

What do you mean by "file it down"?

Hello, Yes KTA is a somewhat advanced routine that should be attempted after RRBT or previous training. I recommended buying KTA for informational purposes only as it teaches you a few training methods, how to set grippers etc. Also as zcor said above I myself have never seen a 90 LB Plastic gripper did you find it online?

There is no brand name on the thing at all, to be honest. All I remember was that when I got it, it said somewhere on the packaging that the maximum resistance was 90 pounds. Sorry guys, I really wish I could be of more help. :mellow

There is no brand name on the thing at all, to be honest. All I remember was that when I got it, it said somewhere on the packaging that the maximum resistance was 90 pounds. Sorry guys, I really wish I could be of more help. :mellow

That's what I figured. Who knows how they measured it, or even if they did. I think they thought it registered 90# on the RGC or something, which is not what you were saying at all.

I got a old plastic weider gripper that has a a 3.5'' spread and feels like about 3/4 of a #1...

• 3 years later...

Reviving an old thread but a bunch of you asked about a 90lb plastic gripper the OP mentioned. I was in a City Sports store and came across an Everlast Adjustable Gripper that goes from 20 to 90lbs. Really nice for warmups and pinching. A quick search on google and I found the same model here for 15$ here: http://www.hayneedle.com/sale/everlastquickadjustgripstrengthener.cfm?source=pla&tid=EBB061-1&adtype=pla&kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=EBB061-1&gclid=CKSay7iSy7kCFRQOOgodTTMA-A There are some other adjustable models like this on Amazon, too, not sure if they go up to 90, though.

Edited by truth1ness

Outside of Bill's RRBT offered here on the Grip Board is "Grip Strength" by Tommy Heslep.

This is a kindle e-book that is quite extensive and reasonably priced. Go to Amazon and type

in the title if you're interested.

The adjustable gripper from Everlast is actually a pretty darn good gripper! It is adjustable

and due to the slight curvature of the handles you also benefit from BTR training. BTR means

"Beyond The Range" by the way.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Mighty Joe

RRBT is a better starting program.

Sale of both programs support these forums existence by the way. And, other sites such as IronHistory.com.

See my signature for links.

Wow, that everlast gripper looks like it'd be perfect for dynamic pinch training for a guy like me who doesn't have the money for all the IMtugs.

Joe...would u recommend it for that purpose?

Wow, that everlast gripper looks like it'd be perfect for dynamic pinch training for a guy like me who doesn't have the money for all the IMtugs.

Joe...would u recommend it for that purpose?

The Everlast does work for pinching. I prefer using two thumbs on it for more security against the thumb slipping off as the rounded handle isn't the most secure feeling, though some filing of the surface at the end may help with this.

I also like the Ivanko Super Gripper for pinch. The surface is slick but if you put the handle in the crook of your thumb you can get a great secure crush grip. If you put some grip tape or use gloves you can pinch with the flat surface of the thumb closer to the fingertip (though you may need to pop off a spring since it's much harder as you get closer to the finger tip and the Ivanko's lowest resistance with both springs is around 45, over double the lowest Everlast setting).

Both are great portable adjustable options for gripping, imo.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response. I do have the isg but may be a little weak to use it for pinching yet. I will however try it out and see if I can get a solid ten reps with one spring.

Getting springs off is pretty tough. If you can lever them off with a screwdriver that's a good option. If not you can definitely train with the two springs on the lowest setting using double thumb pinches (I actually prefer these), negatives, or just lots of partial single or double thumb reps getting closer and closer until you can close on the lowest two spring setting.

Sounds like a good plan! maybe I'll go right ahead and do the double thumb pinches. Thank you for your help man.