• 1.Paul Andersons backlift
    • 2.Goerners one hand deadlift of 727 lbs
    • 3.Apollons near snatch with 226 on 23/8 inch bar
    • 4.Marvin Eders dip with 434 lbs
    • 5.Mark Henry clean and pushpress Thomas Inch d/b
    • 6.Chuck Ahrens clean and press with 200 lb d/bs
    • 7.Taranenko's 586 lb clean and jerk
    • 8.Joe Kinney's No4 crush

Just interested in what people think is the most impressive,my votes going to Goerners one hand deadlift.I think its combination of massive back and overall power combined with tremendous grip.Also hand size isn't a limiting factor.

I voted for Marvin & his dips :ohmy .I was doing dips with 120lbs. b-4 my surgery.I cant remember where I read this but I read that H.G.

didnt use a barbell for his deadlift,he used a block of sandstone with a handle attached to it. When the weight is vertical its easier to lift. If he really did over 700lbs. on a barbell he could have done over a thousand lbs. on a load'n pin.

I refuse to vote without Arthur Saxon's Bent Press on the list. To put Marvin Eders dip on there and not Saxon just isn't right :(:angry::)

Taranenko by far, also it it fully documented done in competition, before judges, and videotaped with the weight weighed and verified. The other lifts are not .

Sorry Tom you're quite right , i was going to put Arthur Saxons bent press up there but i was told off by the wife for being on the computer and i lost my train of thought. :(

Gripper32001,

Goerner used a barbell for his one hand deadlifts, the one you are refering to was an impromtu lift of734 lbs on the sandstone block.

Chris, I agree wholeheartedly. I questioned Roark on his Iron History Q/A forum, concerning the 727 barbell deadlift, and he did seem to reserve some degree of skeptisism as to the lift's validity. But Roark did communicate that Goerner pulled a 661 in the same manner shortly thereafter, under official conditions. I say that 661 still earns him the title, with Anderson's backlift of (most likely around 5000 pounds being the actual weight) being a very close second. Hey, your wife and mine should start a club or something, maybe a support group. Mine is always giving me a hard time about doing what I'm doing now.

Paul Anderson's lift, for the simple reason it's in the Guiness Book.

Sybersnot,

Did you know Goerners mentioed in the Guinness book of records also ,for several different feats of strength.

Garry Frank's 932 deadlift?

Ed Coan's 902@220 is also rather amazing.

Edited by Bob Lipinski

wow, hardest poll ever :blink .....if a few more feats of strength were added ( which are worthy of comparison ) it would be all the more difficult to make a decision..these feats are truely pace setters...all of them ( didn't vote )

Guest Harlan Jacobs

While all of these lifts are outstanding, The question was "strength feat". With that in mind , I would say Eders. I feel all of the other lifts require amazing power, but more-so great technique. There is just not much technique to a dip. Just amazing triceips,chest and delts.

Marvin Eder

He could chin 7 or 8 times with added weight of 200lbs attached to his feet and regularly did 8 dips with an extra 400lbs fixed to his legs and was capable of completing 8 one hand chins when around 200lbs bodyweight.

C'mon this guy was a freak!!!! :ohmy

Jason

Guest IrNLifter

Well...I voted for Goerner, but Tarenenko's C J id close behind, I guess since we are the Grip Board we aughta give Joe a nod....cuz the #4's incredible....to tell the truth I'm awed by most of the people on this board...you all are doing some pretty amazing stuff...steel bending, thick handle lifting, plate curls....all amazing, to me anyway, this site is keeping alive what is very close to being lost in the strength world.... :bow , I tip my hat to you all!

That said..... I agree with Tom, without Saxon's Bentpress the list isn't complete!

Tom Black,

Just for curiosty sake do you consider Arthur Saxon stronger than Marvin Eder ?

I myself would go Eder .

I now its not the question asked in the poll i'm just interested.

Thanks

Chris