Microdiscectomy

Jnez33

Hey guys,

I'm a newer member of the grip training world which is why I don't have any posts here yet. I've been looking around a lot trying to learn as much as I can before posting something that I'm not too sure on so that I don't mislead anyone. Anyways, last Tuesday, August 3rd, I got a microdiscectomy at L5-S1. I know this may seem like a stupid question to some, but if you have ever had bad sciatia pain then you know that you never want it again. The doctor basically told me that I should not bend or twist or lift anything heavier than 10 pounds for 4-6 weeks. My question is if it is safe to use grippers? I know I'm not lifting anything but I don't know how much any other part of your body comes into play when closing grippers, such as muscles tensing up. Or do you think I should just wait the extra month and a half? I just figured I would ask to see if anyone out there had any suggestions, I know this may be a dumb question but I just never want that pain again. Thanks in advance!!

Hey guys,

I'm a newer member of the grip training world which is why I don't have any posts here yet. I've been looking around a lot trying to learn as much as I can before posting something that I'm not too sure on so that I don't mislead anyone. Anyways, last Tuesday, August 3rd, I got a microdiscectomy at L5-S1. I know this may seem like a stupid question to some, but if you have ever had bad sciatia pain then you know that you never want it again. The doctor basically told me that I should not bend or twist or lift anything heavier than 10 pounds for 4-6 weeks. My question is if it is safe to use grippers? I know I'm not lifting anything but I don't know how much any other part of your body comes into play when closing grippers, such as muscles tensing up. Or do you think I should just wait the extra month and a half? I just figured I would ask to see if anyone out there had any suggestions, I know this may be a dumb question but I just never want that pain again. Thanks in advance!!

On this one, I would listen to my doctor. Many of us throw so much into squeezing, it intuitively seems too great a risk.

My first thought was just ask your doctor about it. My second thought was, if the pain is that bad, why take the chance for a relatively short time period like 6 weeks? Avoiding long-term back pain trumps a few weeks without grippers any day IMO. Best wishes for a full recovery!

I had L3/4 microdiscectomy last year. I understood there was a small risk of re-herniation following surgery, and the risk decreases as you heal over the six week recovery period. Increasing intradiscal pressure from stabilizing through your core while doing grippers, holding your breath etc would increase your risk. I found walking to be very helpful to speed the recovery and to increase function and mobility, progressing up to several miles a day once the MD gives you the green light. That pain was one of a kind, and it is completely gone now. I'm back to almost full function (I did give up running). Good luck in your recovery.

-Mike

Thanks to everyone, i figured that this was going to be the case. No problem though, I would much rather take 6 weeks off if I never have to have this pain again!!!

when I had my back injury I learned that walking can help prevent scar tissue from forming between the disc and the nerve. but, reinjury because you push too hard too soon is a stupid injury.

NEVER MOVE INTO PAIN!!!

when I had my back injury I learned that walking can help prevent scar tissue from forming between the disc and the nerve. but, reinjury because you push too hard too soon is a stupid injury.

Yeah I have been walking a couple miles a day, it is unbelievably helpful. My doctor actually said this is the main reason why I am recovering so quickly, (and perhaps cause I'm only 21) :tongue

But I agree Mighty Joe, I already made the mistake of making my herniated disk worse by continuing to work out before I had the surgery and I definitely learned my lesson. In no way am I even going to think about stepping foot into a gym until I am able to.

Thanks again to everyone for all of their responses!!