First Gripper You Closed.

OTTOEMEZZO

1st gripper I ever ordered was the CoC #1. Closed it right away. Few months later ordered the #1.5 and closed that as well. Next was the #2. Took me the longest time to get those last few mm. Prob 5 months. Now have progressed to the #2.5 but it still gives me troubles. Closed it 3 separate times though. Just ordered a RB 260n today. Can't wait to give it a go. Was going to order the BB super master but thought it was close to the 2.5. ??

I first closed one of those old skool plastic grippers my dad had when I was younger . Over a decade later a friend at work brought some COC grippers on our break, I almost closed the #1 but never knew how to set a gripper. He showed me how to set a gripper and taught me alot about grip training. I ended up buying a COC trainer and closed it after 3 atemps, after that I was hooked.. I started back my grip training two weeks ago after a 6 month break and hit a new PR closing a GM 5/8.. now im hooked again .

Plastic grippers came first for me as well..

The first "real" gripper I tried was a CoC Sport, that was quite easy so I bought a T and #1. Could close the T on my first attemt but took quite a while before I could close the #1 (with crappy settings..).

I bought a T, 1, 1.5 and 2 and closed them in order the first day. The 2 was relatively easy, but I have a good grip from doing woodworking and welding in addition to lifting. I missed a 3 by maybe 3/8" the one time I tried one (but I realize 3/8" is a log ways from closing it). At age 39.

Edited by mike landrich

For me I also had the plastic grippers all through high school.

Last summer I started College and they required a physical fitness oriented class for credit. Always having an interest in MMA and staying fit, I asked if there are any accredited Martial Arts gyms around to fulfill the requirement. There's two accredited schools in the whole area and after checking them both out, I joined Shin's Martial Arts School.

One of the Instructors is very big on not only knowing and practicing the movements until they are perfect, but he also believes you should try and be as fit as you can too. And he has certain tests to tell whether you're fit enough and whether you're progressing well. Each belt level has increasing recommended strength and fitness tests. Besides the common tests such as ie. clap pushups, situps, wall drills, kicks and punches for speed, there are also a set of varying hand grippers, each marked with a piece of tape high on the handle that corresponds to the recommended rank at which you should be able to close that gripper.

The BBM is marked with a black and white piece of tape, and the coc #2 is solid black tape. When I started I saw those grippers on the wall and asked what they were all about. Master Hays said that for an average man, he should be able to close the #2 by the time he gets his black belt and a naturally bigger stronger man should be able to close a #2.5.

Well I am a naturally larger person and am pretty strong, or so I thought. I went over and picked up the black belt level #2 and CRUSH, it moved about an inch and a half is all. It ended up the biggest gripper I could close was the orange belt #1 and got close with the 1.5.

From then on I've been hooked.

At the gym, Master Hays showed me a bunch of different grippers to help me make up my mind on what I wanted. I saw and tried out the HG products, a couple of RB grippers, the RB adjustable, a Vulcan, some BB grippers and the coc grippers.

Ended up buying a set of coc grippers, and a Vulcan.

Two hundred dollars and a LOT of working out, I felt I had all I needed to progress, and have. After about a year of work, I can get the #2.5 closed from a decent set almost any time I want, and am just a little ways off getting the #3.

I am 6'5" and weigh 230 pounds. Bench over 400, squat over 500, and my goal is to be able to CCS close the #3 at my Combat Hapkido Black Belt test, which should be in about a year.

Started with the trainer about 5 months ago, could only do 5 reps with it, a couple months later closed the 1, a couple months later closed the 1.5, now im working on the 2.

Other than those cheap plastic handled ones, the first real gripper I bought was an IM #2. Took about 2 months to close it. I bought that over 15 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

2 weeks ago received and closed my first grippers, Trainer, #1, and #1.5.

This week received #2, #2.5, and #3. Closed the #2 both hands and 3/8" from shutting the #2.5. These buggers are addictive.

I'm 6'2", 170lbs and 28 yo.

Edited by daniel reinard