Training To Strict Thick Bar Reverse Curl 70lbs

islandd387

Hi I've been pondering of how to train to thick bar reverse curl 70lbs in a strict fashion,(elbows pointing down to the floor and stable at my sides)

I think I would just do negatives but am also wondering how i would bring up my weaknesses in this lift so it would jump, I have an apollons axle.

A word of advice - this movement can hurt you - hehe. I was chatting one day with Frankyboy and he ask me how much I could do? Like the idiot I am I went out to the garage - threw some plates on and gave it a go - can't remember how much and no problem at the time. A few hours later I had lateral epicondyle issues in both elbows that lasted for weeks. If it was me - I would start out with light weight and high reps and build a good base - then just do a regular progressive resistance program with your goal weight in mind

Also, watch out for those thumbs. Thickbar reverse curls are a great way to injure them if your not careful!!

Also, watch out for those thumbs. Thickbar reverse curls are a great way to injure them if your not careful!!

naturalstrength: I could be very wrong, but I think this could only be dangerous to people with inflexible forearms in the pronation movement. In any case, you can try them thumbless and this eliminates the thumb issue and works the grip more, I think.

I only ever reverse curl using an ez curl bar. I find there's too much pressure (bad pressure) on the wrists and thumbs in an unnatural position with a straight one.

I did quite a few thickbar reverse curls years ago after reading about a "famed" contest of olden times where the arms were held at the sides with a belt and a thumbless reverse curl with 88 "took the show" with a 2.5" handle bar. It took a while but doing them dead strict the numbers slowly went up to 88 then finally on to 132 at the peak of my strength in about 1991. I still have the bar...it is a real bear!

Thats tremendous lifting Richard !!!

I do thumbless with a 2"bar up to 65kg ,but doing that with a 2.5 inch bar is awesome!!

Got myself a new goal !!

Richard, I read about that in an old Iron Grip and was amazed. That sounds like the pinnacle of thumbless thickbar reverse curling.

Chris, you are also incredible at thickbar and most everything. I hope you can come to the US someday, hopefully for Mighty Mitts.

Thats tremendous lifting Richard !!!

I do thumbless with a 2"bar up to 65kg ,but doing that with a 2.5 inch bar is awesome!!

Got myself a new goal !!

Chris, 132# is not 65kg, it's only 60kg ! :tongue When (not IF!!) you attain this, please be sure to film it!!! Your strength feats videos are awesome.

Richard Sorin was one STRONG dude at his peak! Heck, still is, but back then it must have been truly something!! too bad not everyone had a digital camera 20 years ago!

Odin,

I'd love to come over for the Mighty Mitts if i'm deemed good enough.Mainly to meet all the guys i consider friends from the Gripboard and have some fun.

Arturo,

If i do it mate i shall post it just for you!!