My Chintzy Dumbbell

EricMilfeld

Being that I'm short on cash, and wanting to train for the Inch, I've made due with some junk around the house. With a 1 7/8 inch aluminum pipe, I've used hose clamps as inside collars, and am in the process of glueing 1/8 thick strips of leather to reach the 2 3/8 inch diameter of the Inch. A deadlift of 173 pounds with the pipe's original dimension was decreased to a humbling 153 pounds after the pipe reached 2 1/8 inches in diameter. What will that other 1/4 inch of leather do to my lift? Oh well, the whole thing is loads of fun!

Edited by eric milfeld

You could use athletic tape and instead of changing weight slowly add a little tape at a time until you are at 2 3/8". Although the tape will be easier to grip that the metal of an inch replica.

I thought I would go straight to the Inch's actual dimension, to get a feel for it. I want to know whether I even have a realistic shot at it, or whether it's going to stay firmly planted on the floor. The leather is pretty smooth, unlike athletic tape, but duct tape would have worked too. I do like the ruggedness of the leather, though. And by training with the 2 3/8 inch diameter, I will be working my muscles in the same manner and angle required to lift the Inch. I'll woodglue the last strip of leather today, and discover just how humiliating the infamous Inch really is.

Good idea OldGuy. It would have required a way of preventing that PVC pipe from rotating on the 1 7/8 pipe, though.

Nice dumbbell! Thanks for the forearm training link. I got a kick out the mention of the Captain of Crunch grippers :laugh That's also the title my brother in law gave me after hearing about my certification from his wife. Aahh... the unenlightened.

Edited by eric milfeld

Some of the people where I work call me, "The Captain Of Lunch". :laugh:laugh

Well, I've glued the last piece of leather to my dumbbell and gave it a go. My forearms were a bit worn out, and 133 pounds stalled just before knee height. The actual diameter of the bell is closer to 2 1/2 inches, which keeps my middle finger almost 1 3/4 inches from touching my thumb. It's gonna take a lot of work to deadlift the Inch with my small hands. Does anyone know of some short fingered men who've managed to deadlift the 172 pound Inch?